My 991 turbo s review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 07:05 AM
TheGetawayer is a splendid one to beholdTheGetawayer is a splendid one to beholdTheGetawayer is a splendid one to beholdTheGetawayer is a splendid one to beholdTheGetawayer is a splendid one to beholdTheGetawayer is a splendid one to beholdTheGetawayer is a splendid one to behold
Old 09-01-2013, 08:54 AM
991TT is on a distinguished road
GOOD REVIEW

this color looks great

Old 09-01-2013, 01:24 PM
jnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to all
Well done review.

I believe in the US, unless you track, you would never do more than "tease" (as Getawayer put it) the performance of the turbo. That factored heavily in my choice not to wait for the turbo, but to order the C4S.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:11 PM
BlownVette has a spectacular aura aboutBlownVette has a spectacular aura aboutBlownVette has a spectacular aura about
Ein wort...ausgezeichnet! Danke.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Dave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond reputeDave(MA 02 C4S) has a reputation beyond repute
Nice review, will you be doing the GT3 soon ?

Old 09-01-2013, 11:06 PM
Dark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really nice
Getawayer, my question to you, which would you buy? GT3 oder Turbo S

Old 09-01-2013, 11:36 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I truly enjoy your reviews .

I like the 991 Turbo S but not enough to buy it . I have a modified 700 Hp manual 07 Gt1 997 Turbo and even that feels somewhat "numb and clinical" compared to a much slower but more balanced mid engine 13 Boxster S (which I also have and really enjoy) .
The 991 Turbo does seem 'perfect" on paper and I'm sure it has many of the great sounds and modern technology . It even looks like a massive 911 . I just feel that with all that comfort it almost appears like it's a baby Panamera Turbo S trapped in the body of a 911 because Porsche has to offer a flagship 911 Turbo.

There is just something missing with the 991 even though on paper and in every review it offers so much. The 991 is simply no longer a traditional 911 and as the car evolved into this modern version I welcome it but I am just not in love with it.

Thanks for posting the review .

Old 09-02-2013, 12:15 AM
TheGetawayer is a splendid one to beholdTheGetawayer is a splendid one to beholdTheGetawayer is a splendid one to beholdTheGetawayer is a splendid one to beholdTheGetawayer is a splendid one to beholdTheGetawayer is a splendid one to beholdTheGetawayer is a splendid one to behold
Thanks guys !

It was a truely special launch event. I met Walter Röhrl for the first time and as a german Porsche-fan that was very special for me. He's basically my idol

What he told me when I asked him about Turbo vs. GT3 , was that the main difference for him is the steering. He explained it this way: The steering in the GT3 only has to do the steering ( RWD ) unlike the one in the Turbo which is also is driven ( AWD ).
I was truely impressed when I took my laps on the racetrack and especially when I got a ride in the passengerseat of one of the instructors.
That guy drove the car one handed, flat out, while giving the journalists following him tips for their driving with a walkie talkie in his right hand.
What a legend.

I wouldn't call the 991 Turbo clinical anymore. Yes, there is slightly less feel compared to a standard 991 Carrera S or 4S, but you hardly have the time to notice it, because the thing is just so fast that you really have to focus.

I'm just impressed. The Turbo doesn't make 600 hp, but it doesn't need to for me. That's just a number until you drive.

@yrralis1: I was worried it could be somewhat too comfortable, but it isn't a baby Panamera. It still feels like a real 911 to me, eventhough it can't be compared to a 997 GT3, which is still my favourite.
I haven't driven the new GT3 yet, but since it's PDK only like the Turbo, I really look at it differently. At the moment I think my favourite 991 is either a C4S manual or the new 50th Anniversary special edition, which I would love to review aswell.

Greetings from germany, Guido aka TheGetawayer

Last edited by TheGetawayer; 09-02-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:02 AM
eddtiff is on a distinguished road
Great review Getawayer! Love the sound of that engine!

Old 09-02-2013, 02:09 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TheGetawayer
Thanks guys !

It was a truely special launch event. I met Walter Röhrl for the first time and as a german Porsche-fan that was very special for me. He's basically my idol

What he told me when I asked him about Turbo vs. GT3 , was that the main difference for him is the steering. He explained it this way: The steering in the GT3 only has to do the steering ( RWD ) unlike the one in the Turbo which is also is driven ( AWD ).
I was truely impressed when I took my laps on the racetrack and especially when I got a ride in the passengerseat of one of the instructors.
That guy drove the car one handed, flat out, while giving the journalists following him tips for their driving with a walkie talkie in his right hand.
What a legend.

I wouldn't call the 991 Turbo clinical anymore. Yes, there is slightly less feel compared to a standard 991 Carrera S or 4S, but you hardly have the time to notice it, because the thing is just so fast that you really have to focus.

I'm just impressed. The Turbo doesn't make 600 hp, but it doesn't need to for me. That's just a number until you drive.

@yrralis1: I was worried it could be somewhat too comfortable, but it isn't a baby Panamera. It still feels like a real 911 to me, eventhough it can't be compared to a 997 GT3, which is still my favourite.
I haven't driven the new GT3 yet, but since it's PDK only like the Turbo, I really look at it differently. At the moment I think my favourite 991 is either a C4S manual or the new 50th Anniversary special edition, which I would love to review aswell.

Greetings from germany, Guido aka TheGetawayer
I also love the 997 Gt3. It's raw, dry sump, simplistic (in terms of luxury) , and beautifully styled . It has a 6 speed manual . It's traditional .

I look at the 991 interior and size . Granted it is a 911 , it has a rear engine ,I agree with you it's not really a panamera. It is just such a bold move from the earlier cars .

I drove and even ordered a 991S and cancelled and looked again and cancelled . I kept my 997 turbo and bought a new Boxster S (manual) . I absolutely love the car BTW .

I have not driven a C4S manual . I just looked at your review on it .
You raise a great point -- if one really wants a manual , and a great looking 911 that can be driven daily .. it's quite a nice car .

Old 09-02-2013, 03:20 AM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for your reviews Guido, subscribed.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:13 AM
991TT is on a distinguished road
hello and thanks

did you try the Rear wheel steering in small parking or turning diameter ,,, like how does it improve the experience

Old 09-02-2013, 05:10 AM
Roterneylastergen is on a distinguished road
Awesome review you have out there, thanks for sharing it with us.

Last edited by Roterneylastergen; 10-14-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:50 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Great review, thanks! I have a couple questions if you could answer that would be great!

1.) Did you drive the normal TT or just the S, and if so, could you tell a significant difference?

2.) Is the wind buffeting improved w/ the sportdesign side mirrors vs. the power folding?

3.) How does the steering c/w the C4S or C2s? Have they improved the feel as they reportedly did for the GT3?

THanks!

Old 09-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by AJag
Great review, thanks! I have a couple questions if you could answer that would be great!

1.) Did you drive the normal TT or just the S, and if so, could you tell a significant difference?

2.) Is the wind buffeting improved w/ the sportdesign side mirrors vs. the power folding?

3.) How does the steering c/w the C4S or C2s? Have they improved the feel as they reportedly did for the GT3?

THanks!
You're welcome ! Glad you guys enjoy the video.

1) I was lucky enough to get a car for myself to film the video. All other journalists had to share the car, two people one car. Most cars where Turbo S, I guess 16 Turbo S and 4 Turbos. So I only drove the car that they gave me and not the regular Turbo.

2) Very hard to say for me. I couldn't drive the car on the autobahn, but at normal speeds I didn't notice any annoying windnoises.

3 ) I talked to Walter Röhrl about the steering and he told me that the GT3 steering is better, simply because the frontwheels aren't driven. I think that's pretty logical. From my point of view the steering was perfect on the road and track, similiar to the one of a C4 or C4S. Overall the car felt very agile and eventhough it still has nowhere near the feedback of a 997, I was pleased with it.

Greetings, Guido aka TheGetawayer

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 991 turbo s review