Impressions after 1k miles of driving.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:44 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Impressions after 1k miles of driving.

I'm very happy w/ the car, more so every day as I get more and more comfortable w/ it, also w/ how it handles specific to the rapidly fluctuating weather conditions the past month. Can't wait for the spring when I can really test it out w/ summer tires on.

RWS: takes a while to get used to, the first few hundred miles I would constantly be checking my speed to see if I could tell the transition from opposed phase (up to 30) to neutral (30-50) to in phase rear steering (over 50), and I still do, but I'm starting to trust the car more. At low speeds, the car rotates more than turns, and at higher speeds it turns in more briskly yet in a controlled fashion than you'd expect.

PDCC: didn't have it on my 991S, still getting used to it and probably won't appreciate it until I'm on the track. The car stays so flat in turns, especially on PASM sport, it's a bit eery. I mainly got it for better tire wear on the track. The car definitely has a softer ride than the 991S, I may end up doing some springs after I see how it is on the track.

Engine/Tranny: Great, as expected. I basically leave it in PDK normal until oil temps are up, then sport, and very occasionally sport+ for bursts of insanity.
I honestly don't miss the extra hp/tq of the S, I may when I'm hitting a straight on the track, but for my purposes on the road, the base TT power is enough. Who knows, I may end up flashing it anyway.

Active Aero: Pretty cool, I throw it on downforce mode (stage 3 I think) for on/off ramps along w/ PASM Sport. You can really feel the difference with it on and off. I use it in the rain and snow at highway speeds as well.

LEDs: Expensive but worth it IMHO.

Overall, I'm incredibly impressed. The car is docile and ultra comfortable in normal mode, and a beast in sport+. It's my daily driver in basically all weather except for deep snow.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1183.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	322733  
Old 01-18-2014, 12:06 PM
GMG
GMG is on a distinguished road
I'm glad you like it...my Turbo S is set to complete on 1/31 so I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival here in early March!

Old 01-18-2014, 01:08 PM
TC M3 has a spectacular aura aboutTC M3 has a spectacular aura about
Great review !

Old 01-18-2014, 09:38 PM
akbjr will become famous soon enoughakbjr will become famous soon enough
Pretty bad *** photo in the snow man. How do you compare it to the 991S u had? Any chassis differences, torque obviously, road feel, feedback, etc? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Enjoy the car.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:46 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by akbjr
Pretty bad *** photo in the snow man. How do you compare it to the 991S u had? Any chassis differences, torque obviously, road feel, feedback, etc? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Enjoy the car.
C/w the 991S, the TT feel a its a bit heavier and more planted, which it is of course, so a bit more GT like. It turns in even better w/ the RWS, though, which is a strange feeling at first given the additional 300 lbs c/w the 2S. TT sounds pretty good, but definitely not as good as the 2S w/ PSE. Powerwise, the 200 lb-ft tq difference is HUGE, as expected.

For anyone who thinks they've gone too far in the direction of a GT cruiser w/ the 991TT, drive this car on some twisties or a track in sport+ mode, it doesn't feel like a GT then.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:56 PM
apias is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AJag
... For anyone who thinks they've gone too far in the direction of a GT cruiser w/ the 991TT, drive this car on some twisties or a track in sport+ mode, it doesn't feel like a GT then.
Isn't that really the hallmark of a great GT car, though? When exactly did gran turismo become a negative epithet?

Old 01-19-2014, 01:04 PM
tbird54 is on a distinguished road
I just picked up a Cayenne GTS I ordered in Sept. All winter I have been driving a 911 4S. I have Pirelli Scorpion winter tires and it holds the road like an Arctic Cat. I dodged a deer at 60mph - just heard a pfffft as I barely graized him. No damage to the deer or the car.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:21 PM
Fixinbones will become famous soon enoughFixinbones will become famous soon enough
You mentioned having winter tires. Did you purchase a second set of rims for the winter? What winter tires do you have, Pirelli soto zeros? I'll be using mine in the winter as well and will have to look into a second set of rims and winter tires.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Fixinbones
You mentioned having winter tires. Did you purchase a second set of rims for the winter? What winter tires do you have, Pirelli soto zeros? I'll be using mine in the winter as well and will have to look into a second set of rims and winter tires.
Yeah, the Pirelli Sotos on the stock rims. I have HRE P101s coming in a week or two to put the PZeroes on and run for the summer.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:46 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by AJag
I'm very happy w/ the car, more so every day as I get more and more comfortable w/ it, also w/ how it handles specific to the rapidly fluctuating weather conditions the past month. Can't wait for the spring when I can really test it out w/ summer tires on.

RWS: takes a while to get used to, the first few hundred miles I would constantly be checking my speed to see if I could tell the transition from opposed phase (up to 30) to neutral (30-50) to in phase rear steering (over 50), and I still do, but I'm starting to trust the car more. At low speeds, the car rotates more than turns, and at higher speeds it turns in more briskly yet in a controlled fashion than you'd expect.

PDCC: didn't have it on my 991S, still getting used to it and probably won't appreciate it until I'm on the track. The car stays so flat in turns, especially on PASM sport, it's a bit eery. I mainly got it for better tire wear on the track. The car definitely has a softer ride than the 991S, I may end up doing some springs after I see how it is on the track.

Engine/Tranny: Great, as expected. I basically leave it in PDK normal until oil temps are up, then sport, and very occasionally sport+ for bursts of insanity.
I honestly don't miss the extra hp/tq of the S, I may when I'm hitting a straight on the track, but for my purposes on the road, the base TT power is enough. Who knows, I may end up flashing it anyway.

Active Aero: Pretty cool, I throw it on downforce mode (stage 3 I think) for on/off ramps along w/ PASM Sport. You can really feel the difference with it on and off. I use it in the rain and snow at highway speeds as well.

LEDs: Expensive but worth it IMHO.

Overall, I'm incredibly impressed. The car is docile and ultra comfortable in normal mode, and a beast in sport+. It's my daily driver in basically all weather except for deep snow.
A question: if in sport+ mode, that is, manual 1st gear flipper mode, and become forgetful of speed and rev-limiter is hit....does pdk shift to 2nd for you or do you have to use paddle to shift and does engine die??
A porsche tech told me in sport+, pdk will shift to second, engine will not die. I wonder??
For comparison, with manual box when 1st->2nd shift is not made in time and rev-limiter is hit, the engine dies, but the car's speed can be recovered fairly fast by hand- shifting to second.
When I drove a boxster and panamera with pdk, when in manual mode 1st gear was used and rev-limiter was hit, engine died and car speed could not be assumed for a time even using 2nd gear flipper, this was not good, but tech says software for these cars was not like that for the turbo and turboS. PDKs for these latter two cars are set up to shift to second from first in sport + mode. Can you verify that for me?? I know in auto-mode shifts are ok, but still want to find out about manual mode 1st to 2nd (rev-limiter hit) because this could be a major safety problem if one wants to shift with finger paddles thru the gears with pdk.