14 TT Upper and Lower Spoiler Removal, for Tail Lamp Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 01:26 PM
svoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond repute
14 TT Upper and Lower Spoiler Removal, for Tail Lamp Replacement

Ok guys... I could not find directions on how to get at the tail lamps on our Turbos. So, I went out to Porsche yesterday and sat in front of the computer for a minute and looked this up. Its quite easy, and I took some pictures along the way. Hope it helps others. **** One note, well, two. Make sure you do not have two right side replacement lamps like I did ... as that pissed me off. Second, painters tape is worth its weight in gold. Use it! ****

Step one is to deploy the spoiler. There are two collars of sort that cover the under side of it. Simply sqeeze by hand and they will slid out of the way. It will leave you with this picture below, however the spoiler will still be attached. I forgot to take a picture.

This picture shows the mounting bolt. It is a torx and is the top one pictured. It is a tight fit. I used a 1/4 inch drive and had painters tape under to ensure I did not scratch the car.

Next pop the truck and remove the fan. Pull up where it says turbo and it simply unclips. Also pull on the lower two corners. The bottom unclips up, the front clips into the rear. Forward, like under the rear glass. It comes right out.

To get the fans out without a fight. Simply loosen the hard plastic inside the intake snorkel. Don't bother to remove it. Just make it loose.

This is what you are left with. Note, that each fan has a connection. Simple stuff.

Next, remove the two inside torx bolts. They are the two inner ( There are four total ) Only the smaller inner ones need removed. You will see the lower one in this picture. It has a little white paint on it.

Now, the directions said to pop the cover ( lower spoiler off ) so I got crazy with the tape. Anywhere I thought it would touch, I put down tape. Its a good 8 dollar investment.

On the right side there are three connections. Unplug the bottom one. It is for the center lamp.

I wrapped my trim tool in electrical tape. Just an added precaution. NOTE!!! This is not a damn screwdriver. Use the correct tools. Do not ruin your paint !!!

I decided to go above the tail lights. I figured if I was going to replace them and possible damage something, let it be them. So that is where I set the tool in. I lite nudge up and I felt the panel shift forward toward the front of the car. Did this on each side. Was very little pressure needed.

And there ya go. It simply lifts off. No tricks. Just watch the spoiler arm...

The two torx bolts you need to remove to get the tail lamp out.

I decided to tape under the lamp in case it were to touch. Again, no scratches is the goal.

Simply pulls out from the inside out. Just like a 997

Same with the other side. I have already installed my clears.

The center lamp is in that lower spoiler. Two 8mm nuts hold it in. Make sure you order that lamp too.... Don't want to not match

And that is about it. Just reassemble. Now, my kit was boxed wrong and had two right side lights. So, if this is your DD, you may check that first... It's a PITA for me, but I'm not driving the car anyways. I decided to pull my tape off and wait for the next lamp to show up. Guess, I know what I will be doing one night this week.

Hope this helps someone else.

Mike

Old 02-02-2014, 03:38 PM
0-60freak is a glorious beacon of light0-60freak is a glorious beacon of light0-60freak is a glorious beacon of light0-60freak is a glorious beacon of light0-60freak is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by svoshop
Ok guys... I could not find directions on how to get at the tail lamps on our Turbos. So, I went out to Porsche yesterday and sat in front of the computer for a minute and looked this up. Its quite easy, and I took some pictures along the way. Hope it helps others. **** One note, well, two. Make sure you do not have two right side replacement lamps like I did ... as that pissed me off. Second, painters tape is worth its weight in gold. Use it! ****

Step one is to deploy the spoiler. There are two collars of sort that cover the under side of it. Simply sqeeze by hand and they will slid out of the way. It will leave you with this picture below, however the spoiler will still be attached. I forgot to take a picture.

This picture shows the mounting bolt. It is a torx and is the top one pictured. It is a tight fit. I used a 1/4 inch drive and had painters tape under to ensure I did not scratch the car.

Next pop the truck and remove the fan. Pull up where it says turbo and it simply unclips. Also pull on the lower two corners. The bottom unclips up, the front clips into the rear. Forward, like under the rear glass. It comes right out.

To get the fans out without a fight. Simply loosen the hard plastic inside the intake snorkel. Don't bother to remove it. Just make it loose.

This is what you are left with. Note, that each fan has a connection. Simple stuff.

Next, remove the two inside torx bolts. They are the two inner ( There are four total ) Only the smaller inner ones need removed. You will see the lower one in this picture. It has a little white paint on it.

Now, the directions said to pop the cover ( lower spoiler off ) so I got crazy with the tape. Anywhere I thought it would touch, I put down tape. Its a good 8 dollar investment.

On the right side there are three connections. Unplug the bottom one. It is for the center lamp.

I wrapped my trim tool in electrical tape. Just an added precaution. NOTE!!! This is not a damn screwdriver. Use the correct tools. Do not ruin your paint !!!

I decided to go above the tail lights. I figured if I was going to replace them and possible damage something, let it be them. So that is where I set the tool in. I lite nudge up and I felt the panel shift forward toward the front of the car. Did this on each side. Was very little pressure needed.

And there ya go. It simply lifts off. No tricks. Just watch the spoiler arm...

The two torx bolts you need to remove to get the tail lamp out.

I decided to tape under the lamp in case it were to touch. Again, no scratches is the goal.

Simply pulls out from the inside out. Just like a 997

Same with the other side. I have already installed my clears.

The center lamp is in that lower spoiler. Two 8mm nuts hold it in. Make sure you order that lamp too.... Don't want to not match

And that is about it. Just reassemble. Now, my kit was boxed wrong and had two right side lights. So, if this is your DD, you may check that first... It's a PITA for me, but I'm not driving the car anyways. I decided to pull my tape off and wait for the next lamp to show up. Guess, I know what I will be doing one night this week.

Hope this helps someone else.

Mike
Thanks A bunch mike.....I did not realize all of that had to be done...previous model was much easier.....my clears are in route....did not know you could get the third lights could be clear...how much was that? What are you going to do with the the red reflectors in the bumper? Jon

Old 02-02-2014, 03:44 PM
svoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond repute
The center clear was 150? I think.

As for the reflectors, I bought another set that I am going to paint white.

Mike

Old 02-02-2014, 03:53 PM
0-60freak is a glorious beacon of light0-60freak is a glorious beacon of light0-60freak is a glorious beacon of light0-60freak is a glorious beacon of light0-60freak is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by svoshop
The center clear was 150? I think.

As for the reflectors, I bought another set that I am going to paint white.

Mike
did you buy the center from dealer?
bumperplugs.com sells them already painted, then you just send them your red ones back.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:07 PM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
Great Write up Mark!!!! Thanks very much.

Mods, someone needs to start a 991 Turbo DIY thread and this needs to be in it!

Clear third brake light is $137 from Suncoast.

Gonna get my painters tape and a trim removal tool and do this.

One question, are the rear connectors that hold the bottom spoiler piece the ball in rubber grommet type like the fan shroud's are?

Last edited by 991TurboS; 02-02-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:11 PM
No. They are the standard plastic. The rear pops up and then swivels or pivots to release. Once you pop up under the tail lamp it will all fall into place. It was much easier that I expected.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:27 PM
dds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond reputedds007 has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you!

Old 12-10-2015, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by dds007
Thank you!

Glad it was able to help you.

Mike