That extra 200 rpms

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 04:57 PM
Nfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud of
That extra 200 rpms

For us non "S" owners that would like to mod our cars and add some power, we are losing out on 7000-7200 rpms that the tts comes as a standard shift point. Is anyone working on it?

I currently have the GIAC Stage 2 and has not changed the shift point.

Hopefully GIAC and Austin can get back to us on a higher rev limiter and if its safe to run.

Last edited by Nfall; 05-27-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:42 AM
Banned
BlocktGrills is infamous around these partsBlocktGrills is infamous around these parts
In TTS Porsche assure it is safe to hit 7200 no problems, noise is special at 7200!

Old 05-28-2015, 06:27 AM
enzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Nfall
For us non "S" owners that would like to mod our cars and add some power, we are losing out on 7000-7200 rpms that the tts comes as a standard shift point. Is anyone working on it?

I currently have the GIAC Stage 2 and has not changed the shift point.

Hopefully GIAC and Austin can get back to us on a higher rev limiter and if its safe to run.
This goes back to the question of whether the difference between the two motors is just software. If it is just software, then it should be easy to solve. If the internals were different, then maybe not. I would think that if the internals were different (reinforced crank, forged vs. cast pistons, etc.) we would know it. But that's a guess.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:48 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
If the car shifts 200 RPM higher, that is likely something controlled by the PDK version, which likely differs from Turbo to Turbo S.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:35 PM
porsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to behold
According to an article in Christophorus magazine states that the only difference between the S and the non S is the programming of the ECU. the internals of the motor, size of the turbos are the same.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:00 AM
unotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by porsche42
According to an article in Christophorus magazine states that the only difference between the S and the non S is the programming of the ECU. the internals of the motor, size of the turbos are the same.
If that was true, then can someone please explain why even after the GIAC tune, the horsepower on the Turbo S is still more than the Turbo?

Old 06-01-2015, 04:00 AM
Porsche Boy is a jewel in the roughPorsche Boy is a jewel in the roughPorsche Boy is a jewel in the rough
One of the inner inlets in the 991 turbo s exhaust is slightly wider in diameter compared to the 991 turbo if I am not mistaken.
Wonder if that is the reason why the s sounds better than the normal turbo. If they accelerate under load the s sounds better
than the turbo.

Last edited by Porsche Boy; 06-01-2015 at 04:05 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:10 AM
Banned
BlocktGrills is infamous around these partsBlocktGrills is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Porsche Boy
One of the inner inlets in the 991 turbo s exhaust is slightly wider in diameter compared to the 991 turbo if I am not mistaken.
Wonder if that is the reason why the s sounds better than the normal turbo. If they accelerate under load the s sounds better
than the turbo.
I was told the system is same on both cars. Also put same AM system on both and power difference is still there.....so can't be this.

Last edited by BlocktGrills; 06-01-2015 at 04:18 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:27 AM
unotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Porsche Boy
than the turbo.
Interesting. Whatever it is, all I know that with every type of tune out there, the end result is that the Turbo S still produces slightly more power than the Turbo.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:26 PM
porsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by unotaz
If that was true, then can someone please explain why even after the GIAC tune, the horsepower on the Turbo S is still more than the Turbo?

Check Dec 2013 Excellence Magazine Pg 62 Second column, second paragraph. The S and non-S have the same motors only difference is ECU programming.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by porsche42
Check Dec 2013 Excellence Magazine Pg 62 Second column, second paragraph. The S and non-S have the same motors only difference is ECU programming.
I know what Porsche has said officially, but it still doesn't explain the fact that with an aftermarket tune, the power difference still exists between the Turbo and the Turbo S, even though the tune is running the same boost for both.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:57 AM
enzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond repute
I know what Porsche has said officially, but it still doesn't explain the fact that with an aftermarket tune, the power difference still exists between the Turbo and the Turbo S, even though the tune is running the same boost for both.
Where are you seeing that there is more power on dyne pulls? Not disagreeing, I just always see one dyne plot on ECU sites.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:37 AM
I agree seems very strange if it's just an ECU difference. i guess you could start looking at part numbers for turbo and turbo S. intercooler, pistons, heads, cams, everything to possible find a difference. I thought it would be something simple like a slight increase in compression. Almost bought a turbo thinking after the warranty I could just reflash the ECU to get the extra hp/tq.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:10 PM
BigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud ofBigRich has much to be proud of
If I remember correctly I believe Stef from Europipe mentioned that the S had a slightly different angle on the turbo vanes compared to the regular turbo. I'm not sure about anything else but I would think their is some other minor differences internally.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:00 PM
Raficasas is infamous around these parts
Hi,

I work for a Porsche dealership and stumbled upon you question on my lunch break.

I became curious as to the answer, and although I am not sure of what the differences are, what I can tell you is that a 991 Turbo replacement engine has a differente code than a 991 Turbo S replacement engine,

Hopefully I have been of help,

Good luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: That extra 200 rpms