red faced gages

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 03:26 PM
ss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to behold
red faced gages

Hi, I have been lurking this forum for the last year or so getting together as much information about my next car as possible. I plan on purchasing a 991 turbo s in the beginning of next year. I really like the red faced gages but don't find it very often. I have to purchase used and was wondering is this something that can be easily swapped? I found this site:
http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/-/...augeFaces.html

Has anyone had experience with them? Are these oem or an aftermarket equivalent? I noticed a couple choices of red on that website. Which color is the factory shade? Has anyone here done the install themselves? I am very mechanically inclined but also no when not to touch something. Any advise is greatly appreciated!
Thank you

Old 09-02-2015, 03:29 PM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ss2z06
Hi, I have been lurking this forum for the last year or so getting together as much information about my next car as possible. I plan on purchasing a 991 turbo s in the beginning of next year. I really like the red faced gages but don't find it very often. I have to purchase used and was wondering is this something that can be easily swapped? I found this site:
http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/-/...augeFaces.html

Has anyone had experience with them? Are these oem or an aftermarket equivalent? I noticed a couple choices of red on that website. Which color is the factory shade? Has anyone here done the install themselves? I am very mechanically inclined but also no when not to touch something. Any advise is greatly appreciated!
Thank you

Depends on your level of comfort pulling apart the gauge cluster. The FVD pieces are overlays. Check with your dealer. Once you do the mod and open the gauge cluster you lose your warranty if anything goes wrong-you know the drill. See what the dealer will charge to put them in.

As a side note reach out to suncoast- they sell them and have good information on the product.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:45 PM
ss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tommyboy214
Depends on your level of comfort pulling apart the gauge cluster. The FVD pieces are overlays. Check with your dealer. Once you do the mod and open the gauge cluster you lose your warranty if anything goes wrong-you know the drill. See what the dealer will charge to put them in.

As a side note reach out to suncoast- they sell them and have good information on the product.

Thank you for the prompt reply! That makes more sense. I'm not a big fan of overlays and figured that may be the case. I will check with suncoast to see what they have.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:34 AM
Premium Sponsor
Rhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond repute
The OEM faces are also Overlays. Let me try to shed some light on this for you.

Our faceplates are Die Cut Plastic Overlays just like the factory pieces. They have the same font and shading as well and are made in Germany to the same high quality standards.

Here is an OEM face plate coming off of the cluster...

Here is the cluster without the OEM face plate...

Here are the two side by side, OEM is Silver, FVD is Yellow.

Here are our faceplates going back onto the cluster...

In fact, the faces that you referenced to buy from Suncoast are ours. Suncoast runs their business with high quality standards, so rest assured that they will provide you with the best quality parts including our gauge faces. Contact Ryan or Aldo if you would like to place an order for them.

Depending on your requirements for color, transmission, MPH or KPH, they can typically take between 7 days to 3 weeks from Germany.

Hope that information helped.

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Visit our online shop for an extensive selection of tuning and original parts www.fvd.net

Last edited by Rhonda@FVD; 09-03-2015 at 11:44 AM. Reason: tommyboy clarified his statement.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:44 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rhonda@FVD
Tommyboy,

With all due respect you are wrong about instrument faces. The OEM faces are also Overlays. Let me try to shed some light on this for you.

Our faceplates are Die Cut Plastic Overlays just like the factory pieces. They have the same font and shading as well and are made in Germany to the same high quality standards.

j

In fact, the faces that you referenced to buy from Suncoast are ours. Suncoast runs their business with high quality standards, so rest assured that they will provide you with the best quality parts including our gauge faces. Contact Ryan or Aldo if you would like to place an order for them.

Depending on your requirements for color, transmission, MPH or KPH, they can typically take between 7 days to 3 weeks from Germany.

Umm I never said the factory ones were not overlays. I have used your product in the past. Yours are overlays as well.

Now call Park Place, Porsche of Plano, Suncoast. They can all confirm once you open the cluster you are at risk of losing the factory warranty on the gauge cluster. If they say otherwise ask them to put it in writing, they won't. Will FVD cover any warranty claims in the event porsche does not due to the cluster being opened? Cheers.

Ps that's not a 991 cluster

Last edited by tommyboy214; 09-03-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:10 AM
Tommyboy,

With all due respect you are wrong about instrument faces. The OEM faces are also Overlays. Let me try to shed some light on this for you.

Thank you for the illustrations and explanation. Which "red" is the shade found in the 991's from the factory? Will there be any difference between the factory overlay and yours? Tommy boy asked about warranty. If the overlay is performed by you and there is an issue and Porsche denies coverage do you warranty it?

Old 09-03-2015, 11:39 AM
Premium Sponsor
Rhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tommyboy214
Umm I never said the factory ones were not overlays. I have used your product in the past. Yours are overlays as well.

Now call Park Place, Porsche of Plano, Suncoast. They can all confirm once you open the cluster you are at risk of losing the factory warranty on the gauge cluster. If they say otherwise ask them to put it in writing, they won't. Will FVD cover any warranty claims in the event porsche does not due to the cluster being opened? Cheers.

Ps that's not a 991 cluster
As you can imagine, if someone is not familiar with these and hear's overlays they may think something more along the lines of a sticker if you will. That is why I wanted to comment, simply to clarify.

Glad you pointed out what your local dealers have told you and happy that you shared that information. That is extremely important for potential buyers to know. Obviously check with your local dealers if you prefer them to install them for you.

We (FVD USA) do not install the gauge faces, we refer our clients to Palo Alto Speedometer as they are VDO certified. They have the latest bench tools to properly re-calibrate the 991 instruments and send them back to your dealership or your local independent. Check with them on what they offer in the way of warranty on the clusters. Just my experience, I have yet to hear anything back about clusters being damaged or broken in my 10 years of working with them.

Your right it is not a 991 cluster. It is a 987.1. I just used those pictures to try to shed light on the subject.

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Visit our online shop for an extensive selection of tuning and original parts www.fvd.net

Old 09-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by ss2z06
Thank you for the illustrations and explanation. Which "red" is the shade found in the 991's from the factory? Will there be any difference between the factory overlay and yours? Tommy boy asked about warranty. If the overlay is performed by you and there is an issue and Porsche denies coverage do you warranty it?
Your most welcome. Typically from what I have seen Guards Red is used by the factory. We also use Guards Red on our faces.

Kindly refer to my answer to tommyboy above.

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Old 09-03-2015, 12:01 PM
Your most welcome. Typically from what I have seen Guards Red is used by the factory. We also use Guards Red on our faces.

Kindly refer to my answer to tommyboy above.
Perfect, thank you!

Old 09-03-2015, 04:04 PM
Also one last question. I notice the gauges for sale on FVD's website are for the non GT3, Turbo models. Do you have gauges that say "Turbo" or "Turbo S" like the factory?

Old 09-06-2015, 05:26 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
You can buy a new cluster with red face for about $3k. No warranty issues going that route.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:29 PM
BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !
Then you have the Chrono gauge as well...

Old 09-08-2015, 09:31 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by BLOWN SRT
Then you have the Chrono gauge as well...
Sure do, here is a link to our site for the faces....

We print in white, red, yellow, silver and black for the most part. If you are looking for something custom we can do that as well but there is a set up fee involved.

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Old 09-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Turbo Mike from IPD is getting some Yellow ones. This has always been a top notch product from FVD.