So how good is the 991TTS on the track? Well check this out and see

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 08:14 PM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !

I passed a lot of fast cars on the track Sunday. I posted my fast lap but now I put together a video of all the cars that gave me a pass. You have to earn a pass at these events, it's not a race but if you can catch the car in front of you and position for a pass, they are supposed to give you a point. In this video I get a point from 3 Vettes, a ZL1, a 997 GT3, a 991 GT3, a 991 C4S, a Aston Martin V12 Vantage and an M3. These are not all the cars I passed on Sunday but the only car that passed me was another 991TTS with the same mods as me but in Fabspeed and he was running Trofeo's plus he is a better driver.

The key to the 991TTS being such a good track car is the Ceramic Brakes and it's ability to hold the corners plus the acceleration. The brakes allow you to wait longer before braking which let's you gain on the other cars that have to brake sooner. In addition, from behind, the car pulled on everything out there. The orange Vette was the hardest to catch and I was only able to get it on the grandstand stretch where it had less time to get rolling. The other Vettes were caught on the back stretch while I caught the 991 GT3 through the technical part of the front half of the track which you wouldn't expect since it's supposed to be so hot in the twistys.

Anyway, let's not let people try to tell us the 991TTS isn't one of the top track cars out there. This is a long video, 13m so you might want to skip around, the 991 GT3 took a while to catch and pass as did the orange Vette. The 991 GT3 is at the end of the video.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:25 PM
svoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond reputesvoshop has a reputation beyond repute
I have loved all of my TTS cars.

I love love love ceramics ...

However, on a track, they let you abuse the brakes and never overheat.

Kind of making ok drivers good... Good drivers great.

Just my $0.02

Mike

Old 09-09-2015, 08:34 PM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by svoshop
I have loved all of my TTS cars.

I love love love ceramics ...

However, on a track, they let you abuse the brakes and never overheat.

Kind of making ok drivers good... Good drivers great.

Just my $0.02

Mike
I have had several instructors tell me I was going to have no brakes left. The last instructor on Sunday said that the car was doing all I asked it but I was using the brakes to not have to drive the corners aggressively. Well maybe so but the instructor before that complimented me on how I was getting every ounce of braking out of them and using them to the maximum benefit. He seemed to appreciate what the car could do and that it was OK to use it that way. I seem to remember in Rush that Niki Lauda was proud of how well he had set up his cars and Hunt lost some races after having to screw around with his setup. Porsche has set up these cars magnificently for tracking and yep, it makes an ok driver good. I sure like what it does for me.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:35 AM
porsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to behold
I have heard that what made Michael Schumacher so great was his ability to setup the car, obviously he was quite a skilled driver as well. Man has to know his limits, like his car.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:10 PM
justthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud of
How are your CCBs holding up? I know a decent number of track guys swear by steel over CCBs, which I never understood

Old 09-10-2015, 05:15 PM
wrs
Originally Posted by justthebest
How are your CCBs holding up? I know a decent number of track guys swear by steel over CCBs, which I never understood
After the first track day I took the car to the guys that work on it for me and they checked the pads, they said that there is 80% left. Now the car had 8500 miles at the time so a lot of that was normal wear not related to the track. I think the ceramics are great because while I can smell all the other hot brakes, mine seem fine. I also don't believe the steel brakes have as much stopping power.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:56 PM
BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !
No fade makes CCB's a better choice. Not sure if they stop better than steel, but they stop pretty much the same all the time, no matter how often and/ or hard you use them.
Can't say the same about steel.

Also, you can't warp CC rotors...and I have warped (steel) rotors on a few cars...like one of my FGT's and my Z06...

Old 09-13-2015, 02:32 PM
Carjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud of
Great video WRS! I have tracked my TTS with PCCBs and it is a great technology. If you can afford to have them then you have to use them as they are intended to be used. If others feel it is too expensive for the returns in performance or pleasure on the track then stay with the steel rotors.

Your track appears to have some long straights and gentle turns. I would expect the TTS to do very well under these conditions and your video proved that...now let me make some popcorn before I watch it again

Old 09-13-2015, 02:48 PM
Carjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Carjunky1
Great video WRS! I have tracked my TTS with PCCBs and it is a great technology. If you can afford to have them then you have to use them as they are intended to be used. If others feel it is too expensive for the returns in performance or pleasure on the track then stay with the steel rotors.

Your track appears to have some long straights and gentle turns. I would expect the TTS to do very well under these conditions and your video proved that...now let me make some popcorn before I watch it again
Oh, this track is more technical than I presumed!

Old 09-13-2015, 03:01 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !

The most important thing to ensuring a long life for someone who tracks their Porsche carbon ceramic brakes is to have the pads regularly inspected to ensure they don't fall below 50% and start damaging the rotors at some point.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:53 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !

Great video WRS. Reminds me of my COTA experience during Goldrush Rally 7. Every other car seemed slow. Passed so many cars -- Ferraris, Lambos, Porsches, Vettes, etc

Old 09-13-2015, 06:26 PM
wrs
Originally Posted by sdg1871
Great video WRS. Reminds me of my COTA experience during Goldrush Rally 7. Every other car seemed slow. Passed so many cars -- Ferraris, Lambos, Porsches, Vettes, etc
Thanks, it's a really fun track and addictive. I am going back on Nov. 1.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by wrs
Thanks, it's a really fun track and addictive. I am going back on Nov. 1.
It sure looks like a great track. Unfortunately only about a third of it was open during goldrush because it was just a few days after the X games had covered most of the track with dirt.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:13 PM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Speaking of a new Turbo on the track I saw this today. Surprising it ran the same time as a gt3rs on this track....

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/09/gia...rs-proves.html

Old 09-13-2015, 08:23 PM
BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !
Just add some rubber and it'll beat the GT3RS...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So how good is the 991TTS on the track? Well check this out and see