Porsche's "the benchmark" 911 Turbo & Turbo S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 11:44 AM
G-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant future

Has anyone heard what Porsche will rename their "the benchmark" 911 Turbo & Turbo S models?

The recent announcement by Porsche to turbocharge the base Carrera & S models is great news for our tuner friends, & the environment, however the exclusivity of the 911 Turbo is going by the wayside. It's bad enough that Porsche's benchmark Turbo & Turbo S are amongst the most expensive cars in their line-up & they also depreciate the most!

Feedback from other forum members, who's cars will be 911 turbos like all the rest!

Old 09-11-2015, 12:35 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Keep in mind, even though all the engines will be turbocharged, the Carrera and Carrera S models will have significantly smaller displacement engines and obviously, much lower power output. They'll still be called the Carrera and Carrera S....and the Turbo will still be called the 911 Turbo and 911 Turbo S.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:01 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !

Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Keep in mind, even though all the engines will be turbocharged, the Carrera and Carrera S models will have significantly smaller displacement engines and obviously, much lower power output. They'll still be called the Carrera and Carrera S....and the Turbo will still be called the 911 Turbo and 911 Turbo S.
My guess is Porsche will bump displacement on the TT and TTS engines to 4.0 liters and upgrade power to about 560-570 bhp for the TT and 600-620 bhp for the TTS. They are going to have to design a large gap in power between the TT and TTS on one hand and the base Carrera, Carrera S and Carrera GTS to justify the TT and TTT's premium pricing over those lesser 911s.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:08 PM
thirst is on a distinguished road
Now that the base models are also force-inducted, it would seem like you can spend 5-10k to make comparable power to a stock turbo(s).

Obviously won't get the turbo looks, but the possibilities are endless now that the base models are also turbos.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:55 PM
G-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant future
Yes, it will help business for the tuners & innovators out there to produce more awesome products for these Pcars.

But I agree with previous comment, in why would you spend significantly more $ on a Turbo or turbo S, when you can add some "bolt-ons" & make similar power, knowing as well the Turbos are the worst for depreciation already as it is.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:54 PM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Let me point out again on this thread, those turbos are fixed vane which means there will be turbo lag and reduced torque on the low end. The "benchmark" turbos have variable vanes with VTG technology. This means no noticeable turbo lag and more torque on the low end.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:08 PM
dshurett is just really nicedshurett is just really nicedshurett is just really nicedshurett is just really nicedshurett is just really nice
While no one knows the answer to this question quite yet, I can comment as someone who has similar cars.

My wife has a new M4 (turbo 3.0L 6cyl) and I have a TTS. The M4 puts out similar power to what we expect from the new 991.2. Having driven both extensively, I can tell you the power delivery and experience is no where near the same in these 2 cars. Further, I can't imagine what the TTS will be like in 991.2 form with perhaps a 4.0L displacement.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:57 AM
DaveChapin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S

Has anyone heard what Porsche will rename their "the benchmark" 911 Turbo & Turbo S models?

The recent announcement by Porsche to turbocharge the base Carrera & S models is great news for our tuner friends, & the environment, however the exclusivity of the 911 Turbo is going by the wayside. It's bad enough that Porsche's benchmark Turbo & Turbo S are amongst the most expensive cars in their line-up & they also depreciate the most!

Feedback from other forum members, who's cars will be 911 turbos like all the rest!
Relax.

All of the major German luxury/performance automakers have their Ultra high-end trims...

- Mercedes has the AMG S63 & S65 variants.
- BMW has the M variants.
- Audi has the RS variants.
- And back at Porsche, they have the Turbo and Turbo S variants

They have cultivated this branding with their other models for years now (models that cumulatively sell in far higher volumes BTW). See Macan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo, Panamera Turbo. Shoot in the case of the Macan, even the non-"Turbo" is a turbo.

In Porsche-speak Turbo doesn't mean "turbo" it means: this is the most serious **** we make in this line.

And if you are worried about the average Joe not appreciating that because the C2S has a turbo, well you need to get over it, because most of those average Joe's already can't tell the difference between your or my TTS and the C2S they saw yesterday.

But for those that know what it is, the respect is there.

Dave

Old 09-13-2015, 04:57 AM
porschespeedjunky is a jewel in the roughporschespeedjunky is a jewel in the roughporschespeedjunky is a jewel in the roughporschespeedjunky is a jewel in the rough
Exactly.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:13 AM
Carjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud of
Since turbocharging the entire lineup will be a first for Porsche will the 991 Turbos be considered the last of the unique, turbocharged 911s? I know these cars are depreciating rapidly now but this may create some exclusivity for the 991 Turbos in the future. I won't say it is as unique as the swap from air-cooled to water-cooled 911s but it may have some significance.

Also, if the entire 911 model lineup is turbocharged maybe the Turbo & Turbo S variants get (918) hybrid technology to differentiate them. Say goodbye to the frunk....

Old 09-13-2015, 06:57 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !

Originally Posted by Carjunky1
Since turbocharging the entire lineup will be a first for Porsche will the 991 Turbos be considered the last of the unique, turbocharged 911s? I know these cars are depreciating rapidly now but this may create some exclusivity for the 991 Turbos in the future. I won't say it is as unique as the swap from air-cooled to water-cooled 911s but it may have some significance.

Also, if the entire 911 model lineup is turbocharged maybe the Turbo & Turbo S variants get (918) hybrid technology to differentiate them. Say goodbye to the frunk....
I do not believe Porsche will ever get rid of a decent sized front trunk for the 911. They seem proud of keeping the car very much as it is from generation to generation in terms of utility and looks. At most I think they may put in a KERS type system for a power boost a la La Ferrari. That wouldn't take up much room and it would certainly give a nice power boost.