Stage X components - my understanding

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 12:00 PM
ss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to beholdss2z06 is a splendid one to behold
With the talk about letting the cars cool down for the turbos sake has anyone installed a turbo timer? Is that a feature with any of the tunes? I know other car lines have done such things but I've never seen anyone discuss that on this forum.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:50 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Correct, Kline has been working hard to develop need two step coating process. It's a specific mix with zirconium. The standard old-school ceramic coating's wont do the trick. That's a good point about the turbochargers. The issue is that with the new VTG's there's even more heat and back pressure. Then with modern cars the oil is even thinner. Turbo timers are exactly for this purpose. Good call. But too tricky to install on motor vehicles anymore. You have to do the mental timer but in the end it's actually more convenient. No one wants to go on the lake cruise to a restaurant and wait for the car to turn off LOL.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:35 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Correct, Kline has been working hard to develop need two step coating process. It's a specific mix with zirconium. The standard old-school ceramic coating's wont do the trick. That's a good point about the turbochargers. The issue is that with the new VTG's there's even more heat and back pressure. Then with modern cars the oil is even thinner. Turbo timers are exactly for this purpose. Good call. But too tricky to install on motor vehicles anymore. You have to do the mental timer but in the end it's actually more convenient. No one wants to go on the lake cruise to a restaurant and wait for the car to turn off LOL.
Thanks. I had no idea a three minute turbo cooling off prior after a hard run should be done. Great information.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:37 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PMNewton
The stock headers are double walled to retain heat. Ceramic coating is just a lighter weight version of that. There shouldn't be any problems at all with ceramic coating.

- Patrick
On the contrary, in our experience coating the headers leading to a VTG turbocharger is a sure fire way to shorten the life of that turbo. Generally speaking, you want to draw as much heat as humanly possible away from the VTG turbo, including any exhaust gas leading into it. Conventional thinking would say that trapping the heat inside the header (or any exhaust part for that matter) will accelerate exhaust gasses and thus increase performance, or help spooling in the case of a turbo. But in this case it can lead to dangerously high EGT's depending on the level of tune. I'd advise against it.

The vanes inside the VTG are very fragile and sensitive to excessive heat. The tuning of these modern Porsches also relies very heavily on monitoring exhaust gas temperatures to determine if the turbos are running in a healthy environment, and will try to adjust itself accordingly. Similar to hot IAT's, trapping heat inside the turbocharger and running the car with very hot EGT's is like starting below the curve and fighting an uphill battle to make safe power.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:55 PM
PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
On the contrary, in our experience coating the headers leading to a VTG turbocharger is a sure fire way to shorten the life of that turbo. Generally speaking, you want to draw as much heat as humanly possible away from the VTG turbo, including any exhaust gas leading into it. Conventional thinking would say that trapping the heat inside the header (or any exhaust part for that matter) will accelerate exhaust gasses and thus increase performance, or help spooling in the case of a turbo. But in this case it can lead to dangerously high EGT's depending on the level of tune. I'd advise against it.

The vanes inside the VTG are very fragile and sensitive to excessive heat. The tuning of these modern Porsches also relies very heavily on monitoring exhaust gas temperatures to determine if the turbos are running in a healthy environment, and will try to adjust itself accordingly. Similar to hot IAT's, trapping heat inside the turbocharger and running the car with very hot EGT's is like starting below the curve and fighting an uphill battle to make safe power.
Damn. I've got 100 ft of DEI Titanium header wrap sitting here on my kitchen table. Guess it's going back to Amazon... It's interesting that your information directly contradicts Stef's from Europipe. He says that aftermarket headers are inferior power producers because they lose heat vs the stockers. I'm pretty sure he is talking about cars that are on a stock tune though. I can see how turning up the boost would be a different cat to skin. Thanks again for the useful tip!

P.S. The IPD Y-pipe arrived yesterday. Thanks again for teaming up with SamboTT to help him (and myself) out with a tough deadline.

- Patrick

Old 11-09-2015, 10:09 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PMNewton

P.S. The IPD Y-pipe arrived yesterday. Thanks again for teaming up with SamboTT to help him (and myself) out with a tough deadline.

- Patrick
My pleasure...glad I was able to help make it all come together for you.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Former Vendor
stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !
I've never said that aftermarket headers are inferior power producers Patrick. They do lose heat but their 3 into 1 collectors are usually better than the stock ones.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:38 PM
PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stef@europipe
I've never said that aftermarket headers are inferior power producers Patrick. They do lose heat but their 3 into 1 collectors are usually better than the stock ones.
Well, you didn't say they do anything good either.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:26 AM
Former Vendor
Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !Felix_Kline Is a GOD !
Interestingly the blades and rotors in your turbo chargers are made from Inconel 713. We also use this material in aspects of our Inconel headers where the properties are more suitable than Inconel 625. the headers are made from just over 1/2 millimeter thick Inconel. The headers survive the heat as do the turbos. The problem is as Sambo says, when insufficient heat up and cool down cycles have been performed, starving the turbos of cooling/lubricant and causing excessive wear.

Ceramic coating the headers is a great way to add that little extra performance. We have been doing lots of testing these last weeks on ceramic coatings, and we have finally settled on our own proprietary ceramic blend, which we are proud to say, has half the thermal conductivity, or double the insulating property of traditional “Yttria Stabilized Zirconia” motorsport ceramic.

Last edited by Felix_Kline; 11-10-2015 at 01:31 AM.