review - bbi exhaust on 2015 991TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 05:11 PM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
review - bbi exhaust on 2015 991TT

I had installed the bbi exhaust on my 2015 991TT and bbi did all the work. I wanted to provide folks with a review and my thoughts.

Background and needs - First and foremost I shopped around a long time. I spent lots of time on the forums getting what research done I could. Listened to lots of thoughts and feedback from many. The first thing I will share is what my needs were and what I was looking for.
  1. Good looking quad tips. I can't stand the stock chrome tips and I needed good looking replacements.
  2. Sound change. In "wife mode" I needed it to sound as close to stock as possible so that when out for a fun drive with the top down and radio on we could still carry on a conversation. When in Sport or Sport Plus it needed to sound like a real sports car of its caliber.
  3. Performance - certainly some performance gains and the ability to keep adding on and upgrading compatibility. Weight savings as well. This really become a non-issue as I felt all claimed some HP increase and varying data.
  4. Affordability - it had to be somewhat (relative) affordable as this was really a looks and sound play for me.
The decision - Sounds like that infamous NBA moment. Well this was a tough one. There were many good products out there. There was plenty of folks sending information. At the end of the day after going to bbi and meeting with Betim and Jerry I was sold. I was able to see, touch and feel the product. I was able to hear from them why they designed the exhaust the way they did and most importantly was able to get a test ride in a car outfitted with the exhaust. Lastly it was the customer service. Once I narrowed this down to a few companies (won't mention the others) it was clear that bbi wanted my business. Other experiences weren't so good. I got the feeling from others that my little small exhaust project was not something they cared about all that much. Return calls etc. I felt like I was pushing them to take my money. Call me old school but this went a long way in the decision.

The results - Simply put this is what the car should have come with from the factory. I know I need to offer details but if you had one sentence that would be it.
  • The sound - exactly what I wanted. At start up it is certainly louder than stock. More of a lower bass sound that rumbles a bit before the idle settles down. Once it settles down and in "wife mode" it is very similar to stock. A touch louder but again more of a lower bass sound. When driving around it is very nice. at about 2K RPM it is a little louder but when cruising very similar to stock. Not when you put in in Sport or Sport Plus this thing comes alive. It rumbles at lower speed. When you get WOT it comes alive. It is hard to explain the sound but to me it sounds closer to a Lambo then to a Ferrari. Not high pitched at all but a growl. You know its coming and like I said sounds like this car should from Porsche. On decel - it has its pops and burbles. I like that and it sounds similar but a little more raspy than stock.
  • Looks - well you be the judge. I chose the black ceramic coated tips and I couldn't be happier. they have a chrome quad tip and stock tip option.
  • Quality - it is amazing. this is like a work of art. You can see from the pics what the stock exhaust weight is and this one is about 19lbs less.
Overall experience and final thoughts - The greatest way to tell you about the experience is it past the wife test with flying colors. I can't recommend this exhaust and bbi enough. they are great professionals and know Porsche like no other. They will treat you great and the product is of the highest quality. I will provide another review after putting more miles on the car.
Dissassembly Process

OEM Exhaust System

Exhaust System Installed

Old 10-05-2015, 05:12 PM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
Reserved for 500 mile review

Old 10-05-2015, 05:59 PM
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !
Nice... Love that exhaust

Old 10-05-2015, 07:29 PM
unotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant futureunotaz has a brilliant future
Great review! Now we just need some video recording of your exhaust!!

Old 10-05-2015, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by unotaz
Great review! Now we just need some video recording of your exhaust!!
Good point. This weekend.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:37 AM
PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !
I sure do like those tips and the way it's 3" tubing the whole way. I see some other manufacturers neck down to 2.5 or 2.75 inch piping after the crossover which seems weird to me. Can't wait for sound clips! Did the installers have to use some kind of harness extension for the O2 sensors?

- Patrick

Old 10-07-2015, 12:26 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Congrats. I have the same exhaust on a 997.2 TTS. Sound is exotic...nothing like stock. All the power of catless with the cats moved away from the turbos. Perfect design and engineering.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:35 PM
Patrick. No I do not believe so. Same spot. I will get sounds clips this weekend. Longboarder is dead on. The cats are moved away from the turbos and makes a sound like it should be. I too love the tips. They turned out perfect.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:44 PM
Not sure this does it justice but here you go

This one is start up (not cold) in "wife" mode
start up.mov

This one is revving in Sport+
Sport+.mov

Old 01-06-2016, 04:44 PM
Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !
How are your long-term impressions? Still like it or are you worrying that it's a little too loud? I'm considering the same exhaust, but I am concerned it's a little too loud for me. Any advice would be great. My sound "goal" is the stock 991 GTS, which is actually rather loud for a stock car. Your videos make it sound a LOT like a GTS to me.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:52 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Goin2drt
Not sure this does it justice but here you go

This one is start up (not cold) in "wife" mode
Attachment 430121

This one is revving in Sport+
Attachment 430122
I would love to hear your car in person since I'm now considering the BBI exhaust on my 991. I would assume that it sounds very similar to my 997.2 but I want to know for sure.

So you attend any OC car events like Aliso Cars and Coffee?

Old 01-07-2016, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Visceral
How are your long-term impressions? Still like it or are you worrying that it's a little too loud? I'm considering the same exhaust, but I am concerned it's a little too loud for me. Any advice would be great. My sound "goal" is the stock 991 GTS, which is actually rather loud for a stock car. Your videos make it sound a LOT like a GTS to me.
So I am still loving it. I will tell you that most everyone I have been running with loves the sound and nothing but compliments.

It is great because in wife mode it is very docile. My wife has no problem in the car. It is definately louder than stock but stock is really quiet. I would say when you are accelerating up to speed around 2200 rpm it is the loudest before it shifts. Cruising down the freeway at 80, no worries at all. Sounds very quiet.

The beauty is when you hit Sport+ it is awesome. It really turns into an exotic sounding car. It does pop, crackle and burble on down shift. You have to like that. I think all after market ones will do this. In Sport+ I find myself rolling down the windows, lowering the top and turning off the radio.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by longboarder
I would love to hear your car in person since I'm now considering the BBI exhaust on my 991. I would assume that it sounds very similar to my 997.2 but I want to know for sure.

So you attend any OC car events like Aliso Cars and Coffee?
Longboarder.

I do Aliso usually every Saturday. A bunch of us from PCA-OCR are headed to Palos Verdes for the Pelican C&C this Saturday We thought the weather was going to be bad but appears the ole California weather people were wrong so we are coming.

I Will be happy to let you hear it at either place.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Goin2drt
Longboarder. I do Aliso usually every Saturday. A bunch of us from PCA-OCR are headed to Palos Verdes for the Pelican C&C this Saturday We thought the weather was going to be bad but appears the ole California weather people were wrong so we are coming. I Will be happy to let you hear it at either place.
Awesome thanks. I remember you mentioned the cruise up to PV for Pelican however I just took off for Mexico so I'll miss it I have been to Aliso C&C so I will look out for your car.

Betim got back to me recently and did confirm that the exhaust sounds very similar to the one I have in my 997.2, but a little better Betim also said they can do a modular system that allows the cats to be changed out to make pure straight pipes so that has my interest.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:37 PM
I couldn't imagine it with straight pipes. It would be so loud I bet but maybe not. Look forward to seeing you at Aliso. Betim is amazing. His customer service and support is second to none. I was debating between him and another very popular exhaust and they just were not even close to his level with the service and call backs. I felt I was the world to Betim and a very small fish to the other.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: review - bbi exhaust on 2015 991TT