PCCBs in California rain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 03:07 PM
Kevinnal is a glorious beacon of lightKevinnal is a glorious beacon of lightKevinnal is a glorious beacon of lightKevinnal is a glorious beacon of lightKevinnal is a glorious beacon of light
PCCBs in California rain

Had a super scary experience today. My car was parked outside under heavy rain for about 20 minutes. I got in my car and drove up to the red light and started to brake. Pedal felts super hard and car just kept going. My first feeling was to see if cars engine was still running because when car is off brakes feel super hard when pressed and stopping power is less. Car was running. So then I remembered about PCCBs and rain. To my luck car stopped half car length pass white line in the intersection. After performing short heat cycle car was back to 100%.

So before driving in rain test your brakes and heat them up.

Last edited by Kevinnal; 01-06-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:31 PM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Same thing after washing the car.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:31 PM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting we get a lot of rain here and I've never had an issue.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:36 PM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by shifter_
Interesting we get a lot of rain here and I've never had an issue.
If your brake pads have heated up and spun off the water you will be OK. I have the problem every time I wash the car. It usually takes a few applications of the brakes to start getting decent grip. The wash I go to has an undercarriage spray that hits the pads directly. I don't drive it in the rain for this reason and the fact that going through any puddles could be a problem for other areas of the car. This is why I own SUVs.

Last edited by wrs; 01-06-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:23 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Iirc, BMW has a sensor that detects water an applies the pads just enough to remove water from the rotors. Does Porsche have something similar?

Old 01-06-2016, 06:26 PM
BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !
I rode through plenty of water in 6K miles and never had a single issue, washing, rain etc...

Old 01-06-2016, 06:57 PM
Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !Visceral Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by shifter_
Interesting we get a lot of rain here and...
You live here in Portland too?

Old 01-07-2016, 03:27 AM
Karl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud ofKarl911 has much to be proud of
I live in S. FL. and it rains here not every three years like Calf., we have tropical down pours every day in the summer. I have never had any issues with PCCBs on my TTS!

Old 01-07-2016, 05:42 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
I had it once on my 997 TT. It was scary. But now I know in the rain to "clean" the PCCB's when starting out cold in rain. Hasn't happened on my 991 as of yet. Very scary to hit the brakes and get no response.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:21 PM
justthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud ofjustthebest has much to be proud of
I have the same effect after washing my TTS / GT3.

Completely worth it for the performance / cleanliness / wear of the PCCBs

Old 01-07-2016, 01:34 PM
cabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud of
Rains a few days a week in Space Coast area of Fl and I have never noticed a difference. The Yellows are great in all situations on my P Car.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:36 PM
Carjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by wrs
If your brake pads have heated up and spun off the water you will be OK. I have the problem every time I wash the car. It usually takes a few applications of the brakes to start getting decent grip. The wash I go to has an undercarriage spray that hits the pads directly. I don't drive it in the rain for this reason and the fact that going through any puddles could be a problem for other areas of the car. This is why I own SUVs.
WRS, is your car wash a stationary system whereby the car doesn't move while being washed or does the car move along a track system during the wash cycle? Also, is your car wash a touchless system? Sorry to highjack this thread, but up here in snow land you need a weekly washing in the winter.

I would report that my PCCB's are incredible, but the first time they are wet it takes a rotation or two to get them dry and after that I haven't noticed a difference whether it is wet or dry.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:07 PM
chiffonade is on a distinguished road
my pccb's are a little slippery after a wash but didn't have any issues with rain this week.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:43 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
lol, that happened to me once many years ago when I had my 996 Turbo S. Scary indeed!!

I'm surprised something serious hasn't happened because of this.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:29 AM
wrs
Originally Posted by Carjunky1
WRS, is your car wash a stationary system whereby the car doesn't move while being washed or does the car move along a track system during the wash cycle? Also, is your car wash a touchless system? Sorry to highjack this thread, but up here in snow land you need a weekly washing in the winter.

I would report that my PCCB's are incredible, but the first time they are wet it takes a rotation or two to get them dry and after that I haven't noticed a difference whether it is wet or dry.
It's a touchless car wash and I drive into the bay. The undercarriage spray is right at the entrance so I get to drive through it at my own pace and then stop at the regular was position. In addition, the wash spray also hits the wheels as well but I am not sure if they hit the pads as much. Nevertheless, I have to be careful braking after each wash for just a couple of stops.