Launch control at 2k rpm?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 04:38 PM
cfpchfc1 is on a distinguished road
Launch control at 2k rpm?

Hello, everyone.
After my last upgrade the car will not launch correctly with Launch Control due to the increase in power.
This weekend I went to PBIR.
I left my street tyres at "full load" setting.
On 2 runs on sport +, I held the gas while holding the brake.
While the engine was at about 2k rpm (maybe lower), I release the brake and floored the gas.
Both times the "Launch control activated" lit up after releasing the brake and flooring it.
It did launch flawlessly than the usual way (it would cut power, buck, etc after the mods)
How much lattitude is there with it?
Suggestions on best launching strategy for it?

Old 04-16-2017, 05:35 PM
shifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond reputeshifter_ has a reputation beyond repute
you stab the gas to the floor before you release the brake. then it says launch control activated and the RPMs hit the redline. then you release the brake when you want to go.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:03 PM
Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !
You may already know this but you need more tire..R888's were my choice and although they cannot hold the power on the street of a launch they do on a well prepped track..I went through many days of testing with Sam's help trying to figure out what the problems were after my upgrades..erratic shifting...cutting power etc until I got the car to the track and with R888 it launches perfectly..the added power at launches manifests weird conditions on the street..I posted videos of this...an example here and note this was a non-lift run...gas was held to the floor...the car reacted as shown...not me

Old 04-16-2017, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by shifter_
you stab the gas to the floor before you release the brake. then it says launch control activated and the RPMs hit the redline. then you release the brake when you want to go.
That's the usual way. That is not what I'm talking about.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Nanook
You may already know this but you need more tire..R888's were my choice and although they cannot hold the power on the street of a launch they do on a well prepped track..I went through many days of testing with Sam's help trying to figure out what the problems were after my upgrades..erratic shifting...cutting power etc until I got the car to the track and with R888 it launches perfectly..the added power at launches manifests weird conditions on the street..I posted videos of this...an example here and note this was a non-lift run...gas was held to the floor...the car reacted as shown...not me
https://youtu.be/ebsNpO8Fxk4
I am aware of it as I experienced the same.
This part of my post is the one that has me puzzled:
"While the engine was at about 2k rpm (maybe lower), I released the brake and floored the gas.
Both times the "Launch control activated" lit up after releasing the brake and flooring it".

Old 04-16-2017, 07:32 PM
Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !
Can't say I've ever tried that launch procedure...was the result successful ?

Old 04-17-2017, 05:56 AM
Originally Posted by Nanook
Can't say I've ever tried that launch procedure...was the result successful ?
Surprisingly yes, as it went all the way to the red line on first.
I wonder how high can the rpms be held using this method without damaging anything.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:02 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Wait did you turn off PSM? Some of the characteristics you describe on LC occurs when you don't turn PSM off.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:02 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by longboarder
Wait did you turn off PSM? Some of the characteristics you describe on LC occurs when you don't turn PSM off.
For me the only time I turn off PSM on launch is with a very well prepped dragstrip with warm temperatures where I believe the tires will hook - such as at Atco on a 70 degree or warmer day

Old 04-17-2017, 11:07 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Guys PSM completely screws up the launch on our cars. It must be deactivated if you want the launch to be optimal. I have even tested it in the rain and once in rain/mud. It always works better from PSM is off...and I'm not meaning a little bit better...it's a lot better.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:16 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Guys PSM completely screws up the launch on our cars. It must be deactivated if you want the launch to be optimal. I have even tested it in the rain and once in rain/mud. It always works better from PSM is off...and I'm not meaning a little bit better...it's a lot better.
I can only speak to the 991 platform I've been countless launches at the dragstrip with PSM on and off with launch control

What I have found at least with my car is that if there is not sufficient traction for the tires to hook the car does better ETs with PSM on.

If the car does have sufficient traction for the tires to hook the car's ET arr better with PSM off.

But I'm talking a full power launch on launch control without any sort of throttle modulation

Old 04-17-2017, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by sdg1871
I can only speak to the 991 platform I've been countless launches at the dragstrip with PSM on and off with launch control

What I have found at least with my car is that if there is not sufficient traction for the tires to hook the car does better ETs with PSM on.

If the car does have sufficient traction for the tires to hook the car's ET arr better with PSM off.

But I'm talking a full power launch on launch control without any sort of throttle modulation

I see. You are referencing no throttle modulation but I modulate the throttle in most circumstances with both the 997.2 and 991 (especially the 991 at Stg 4 power with stock PZeros).

So not sure if this helps the OP with his launch issue but it sounds like he's got PSM on and that could be the issue.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:26 PM
Hi. I did not turn PSM off.
The times I tried with PSM off using launch control were not pretty with my car, before upgraded turbos + meth. I do not know if now it could.

Last edited by cfpchfc1; 04-17-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:18 PM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
Well since my memory is still long enough to deal with this and I encountered all these issues just two months ago here is what I found. With the new PZero N1s don't use TC/PSM on the street and you can get 1.5x 60ft. If you don't use TC at the track, you will get 2s or worse 60ft on street tires. I didn't get anything under 2s until I ran with TC on at the track with the new N1s on a prepped track. My car was better from a dig on the street than at the track, always. So maybe that's just my car but that was my experience. The power at Stage 4 is more than the software in the car was designed to handle. It's pretty clear that Adam can shift manually by sound from watching his most recent video. I could never do that, the engine was just too fast for me in first gear and I almost always hit the rev limiter. The nice thing about the Fcar is that I have the LEDs on the steering wheel to help me shift manually now.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:55 PM
I tried to replicate tonight, failed. I could not get the cluster to show "launch control activated". Just wheel spin

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.