Purchasing car out of state. Need your help fellas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 09:28 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
Purchasing car out of state. Need your help fellas

Hello 6speeders. Looks like i'll be buying a new to me 2014 991.1 Turbo S. Looking for advise for those who have completed out of state private party vehicle purchase transactions. The seller suggested that i wire the money and he could hold the vehicle until i pick it up, or he can drop it off at By Design Auto so Sam can do some modifications prior to me picking it up. My question is, are there any buyers protections when i wire money? His bank is Wells Fargo.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:27 AM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
You need a signed sales agreement, that is a binding contract. I used a dealer though. You need to make sure also what the sales tax requirements are for your state and the purchasing state as the sales tax you pay will go to the purchasing state and if your state doesn't give you a credit for it, you could owe double tax. The other issue is that if the state you purchase in charges less tax and you still owe some to your state (my case). That gets paid when you purchase your registration sticker for your state.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:59 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
I think we ironed out the details. This is a private party sale. Pretty much the same thing as what you mentioned WRS except it will be a signed and notarized California bill of sale. He will drop off the vehicle at the shop of my choice to do modifications, a COPY of the title front and back, and the original California bill of sale. Once the shop verifies they have all docs and vehicle, i will initiate the wire transfer. After his bank verifies the money is in the account, he will drop off the title to the auto shop

Old 07-22-2018, 04:46 PM
keeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Harry Da Hamster
I think we ironed out the details. This is a private party sale. Pretty much the same thing as what you mentioned WRS except it will be a signed and notarized California bill of sale. He will drop off the vehicle at the shop of my choice to do modifications, a COPY of the title front and back, and the original California bill of sale. Once the shop verifies they have all docs and vehicle, i will initiate the wire transfer. After his bank verifies the money is in the account, he will drop off the title to the auto shop
Sis all of this go smoothly and did you get a better deal than buying a CPO from a dealer? I am curious....because I am kind of in the same boat right now!

Old 07-23-2018, 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by keeperofbeasts
Sis all of this go smoothly and did you get a better deal than buying a CPO from a dealer? I am curious....because I am kind of in the same boat right now!
IMHO the way i did it was the safest way to protect me from a legal perspective if the seller wanted to be difficult.

I also proposed getting a cashiers check several days before arrival, but before i arrive i snap a picture of the cashiers check front and back, that way the seller can call my banks main line and verify the check is legit. That way, when i arrive in person, we can exchange title for check.

Be sure to verify all docs ahead of time including pictures of drivers licenses so legal docs are drawn up in the legal name with no mis-spelling, picture of title so you know its not a branded title and so you know the guy who's selling is also the legal owner. A friend of mine forgot to do the last part, flew up to CA, and only after he got there he found out the guy selling the car was not the legal owner, it was his dad. And daddy didn't ever authorize the son to sell so that was a wasted trip. Doh...