Time for a new toy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 09:20 PM
JC1121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Time for a new toy

I purchased a '12 911 Turbo new after considering the 458 and Superleggera. I was always a car guy with an affinity for Porsche however the car turned me into a "Porsche guy." I love everything about it and everyday driving it was just as exciting as the day I took possession. The speed and handling clinched the deal however reliability was one of my main factors because I don't baby things and knew I would rack up miles. My love for Porsche has not waned at all but I am interested in trying something new. Perhaps I am being ignorant but I don't feel that the Italian's will put up with the amount of annual abuse as a Porsche will. I put over 40,000 hard miles on my Turbo without any issues or headaches and even being a second car it would be safe to assume 12-15k miles a year mostly on the road with a few track days mixed in. I am currently considering a Turbo S (or exclusive) or possibly a Mclaren 570. Owning a few other British cars over the years (just not a true sports car) makes me cringe at the thought and I just don't want any headaches. Can the Mclaren hold up to years of abuse like the Porsche can? What other cars in this class provide the performance, handling, and reliability that Turbo/S can?

Thanks in advance,

JC

Old 07-03-2018, 04:14 AM
BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !
Lamborghini Huracan...but I don't think a Mac will...

911's are about the toughest cars around...so the Turbo S is also an excellent choice.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:29 AM
99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute99Gdzra has a reputation beyond repute
I came from a TTS and now have a Mclaren... they’re bad *** cars, fun to drive, stupid fast, but reliable they’re not! This is the most temperamental car I’ve ever owned compared to the Porsche being one of the best cars I’ve ever owned.

If you want attention, wow factor, and sheer excitement buy the Mac. If you want a stable, reliable, quick car buy the Porsche.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:52 PM
Thanks. I am interested in other options but it seems like there really isn't another. I just do not want to have any headaches and it seems like the Turbo S is the only car with the performance I am after that is built like a tank. I've seen a number of them built up over the years and am not against it - my last one had only counter measures in it as well as some aesthetic touches. Are the worked models just as reliable?

Old 07-03-2018, 09:25 PM
BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !BLOWN SRT Is a GOD !
Not so...my Huracan Performante is as bulletproof and reliable as my Turbo S...

Old 07-03-2018, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by BLOWN SRT
Not so...my Huracan Performante is as bulletproof and reliable as my Turbo S...
that's great to hear. How many miles are on it? How would you classify your driving? Are they all just as reliable and is the dealer's service dept a pleasure to work with? Sorry for the ton of questions, I had bad experiences with English cars and never want to deal with that nonsense again.
A friend had a Gallardo that seemed to give him issues - I drove it once at the 50-60k mile mark and thinking that it had seen better days. After hearing stories about the Italian car's reliability, maintenance and experiencing that one, I wrongfully assumed they weren't as solid as the Porchse line up. I may have some time next week to check out the local dealer but would love to hear about your experience with the brand.