IPD plenum & Y-Pipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 05:22 AM
Jeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud of
IPD plenum & Y-Pipe

So, I was thinking of "just" starting doing the exhaust EP 2 and a stage 2 tune and seeing how it goes as the IC's are VERY expensive at around 4K plus labor for possibly a small return as I DO NOT track, what maybe 1 time a year and its just a few times around not aggressive, and all I do is HIT it every so often on public roads...not sure I NEED the IC/s
the other thing to consider is the Plenum or plenum AND y-pipe.
I read that its supposed to pick up some seat of the pants feel in the mid range ?
experiences?

Old 08-09-2018, 01:08 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
The way i view the IPD plenum and y-pipe... They're cheap for the performance increase they offer. I can't imagine labor being too expensive for them to install but i can't comment on that since i had that and a whole ton of other stuff installed at the same time. And usually when you're modifying a car, there's almost always a downside associated such as more lag with larger turbos. With the IPD plenum and y-pipe, there are no downsides other than cost.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:31 AM
hcvone is a splendid one to beholdhcvone is a splendid one to beholdhcvone is a splendid one to beholdhcvone is a splendid one to beholdhcvone is a splendid one to beholdhcvone is a splendid one to beholdhcvone is a splendid one to behold
I have this on my car along with other things, this mod gives bigger gains the more you do as said above, i.e. tuning, headers and exhaust, there are gains but they are in proportion to your mods. Lot of money for not a lot of gains, but goes with Porsche ownership, it's all expensive if you want to play

Old 08-10-2018, 03:34 PM
wrs
wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !wrs Is a GOD !
So I am going to weigh in here as something I encounter a lot comes to mind. My 488 at the track never exceeded 160 IAT and mostly stayed under 140 on a day when the ambient temperature was 102. This never happened with my Porsche. Temps were regularly in the 160s climbing to 175 and horsepower loss was noticeable even with only 80 degree ambient at COTA in October of 2016. In the 488 I ran 2:36.16 at COTA in traffic with temperatures near 110 on the track last month. The best I ever did with the 991tts was 2:40.7 and that was with temperatures around 70 in February and no traffic. I think part of the better 488 performance is the lower IATs afforded by the air movement strategies employed by the Ferrari engineers. Now to my point.

There is a thread on the 458/488 forum at Ferrari Chat discussing some aluminum charge pipes to replace the "cheap plastic" ones that Ferrari puts in. The claim is about 40-80hp in midrange gains (3500 to 5500 rpm). These charge pipes are the last thing the air passes through before hitting the manifold. Plastic is an insulator and aluminum is a conductor. The engine bay temps are extremely high with these cars and so convection heating of the aluminum which in turn causes conduction and convection heating of the air in the charge tubes will occur. With the plastic in place the heat from the engine bay will not heat the plastic through as quickly or as efficiently as the aluminum.

I had both the IPD plenum and Y-pipes and they did increase airflow and I did get good numbers on the dyno as a result of using them. However, out at the track and the dragstrip I definitely felt the effects of higher IATs and this was with the better ICs from By Design. I think that in my area with heat being such an issue it probably isn't a good idea to switch the factory plastics out for aluminum parts with better flow. The heating of the air in the aluminum elements is going to occur and will reduce horsepower, maybe enough to offset the increased air flow. Just throwing this out for consideration as it's also being discussed at Fchat.

In addition, if you aren't tracking the car or running at the dragstrip these parts are definitely not going to do you much good. You won't notice them on the butt dyno.

Last edited by wrs; 08-10-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:10 PM
swoobie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wrs
So I am going to weigh in here as something I encounter a lot comes to mind. My 488 at the track never exceeded 160 IAT and mostly stayed under 140 on a day when the ambient temperature was 102. This never happened with my Porsche. Temps were regularly in the 160s climbing to 175 and horsepower loss was noticeable even with only 80 degree ambient at COTA in October of 2016. In the 488 I ran 2:36.16 at COTA in traffic with temperatures near 110 on the track last month. The best I ever did with the 991tts was 2:40.7 and that was with temperatures around 70 in February and no traffic. I think part of the better 488 performance is the lower IATs afforded by the air movement strategies employed by the Ferrari engineers. Now to my point.

There is a thread on the 458/488 forum at Ferrari Chat discussing some aluminum charge pipes to replace the "cheap plastic" ones that Ferrari puts in. The claim is about 40-80hp in midrange gains (3500 to 5500 rpm). These charge pipes are the last thing the air passes through before hitting the manifold. Plastic is an insulator and aluminum is a conductor. The engine bay temps are extremely high with these cars and so convection heating of the aluminum which in turn causes conduction and convection heating of the air in the charge tubes will occur. With the plastic in place the heat from the engine bay will not heat the plastic through as quickly or as efficiently as the aluminum.

I had both the IPD plenum and Y-pipes and they did increase airflow and I did get good numbers on the dyno as a result of using them. However, out at the track and the dragstrip I definitely felt the effects of higher IATs and this was with the better ICs from By Design. I think that in my area with heat being such an issue it probably isn't a good idea to switch the factory plastics out for aluminum parts with better flow. The heating of the air in the aluminum elements is going to occur and will reduce horsepower, maybe enough to offset the increased air flow. Just throwing this out for consideration as it's also being discussed at Fchat.

In addition, if you aren't tracking the car or running at the dragstrip these parts are definitely not going to do you much good. You won't notice them on the butt dyno.
Interesting, thanks for sharing