Fix a mistake with a 2017 TTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 07:48 AM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
Fix a mistake with a 2017 TTS

Long story here, bought a McLaren 570S from Porsche North Scottsdale and it was a beautiful car but had its problem which the dealer did not know. Before I bought the car went to the local McLaren North Scottsdale and talked with service about the car. He said they had seen the car and it was really nice and had low miles and all service's. They said they had a CPO program that would give me 1 or 2 years extended warranty and they could do a car that on a used car sold by someone else. Then walked onto the sales floor and talk with a salesmen who was unhelpful and dismissive. Ask if I could trade across two cars that I owned and he looked around the showroom and said they did not have enough room to hold cars other than McLaren. We went out and he looked at my 2014 Turbo Cab and then I left and went to the Porsche dealer who had a 2017 McLaren 570S.

I also asked if they had a extended warranty available for the car as I would not be buying one without getting it from them or McLaren. They said there were no aftermarket warranties for the McLaren other then their CPO program. So after a drive we made a deal with my trades and as they were prepping the car I went home to get my other trade. While I was at home the McLaren sales guy called and asked if I was still interested in his car and I told him I bought one already. He then told me that that car did not have a warranty as it had been tuned and had a non-factory exhaust. I asked him if it was brought back to OEM would they be able to offer a CPO warranty on the car and why if they knew that when I was in the store talking with services about the car why had they not told me. He said they could not give info on a car that I did not own and no they would not CPO the car. I thanked him for the call. Went up to the Porsche dealer and told them the car had a tune and the exhaust and that the McLaren dealer had called me. My sales guy Mark Siffert made some calls to the tune shop here in Scottsdale and to the original owner of the car. Yes it had been tuned, no the old owner had never told them of that or that it was missing most of the smog equipment. Marks and I agreed that I could take the car for a few days and if I was not comfortable with it return it and for another car. Had a hard time sleeping that night but the next day drove to the shop that tuned the car DynoComp. They assured he it would be no problem and the tune along with the exhaust packaged was safe. More calls were made to the owner about the OEM exhaust which he would sell to me for $2k, but dropped off the books. Still was seeing lots of red flags on the car and the next morning when I did a search on the McLaren boards I was able to find the owner who had the exhaust for sale on the site. The car had two different exhaust and two different tunes along with mismatched from and rear tires. The rears have the Toyo race tires and the front OEM tires. Decided yesterday that I would return it to the dealer and they were fantastic through the whole process, Mark, Dave and Brad went way out of their way for me and the car that I replaced it with a CPO 2017 Turbo S that was loaded and in perfect shape that was priced about 8k more than the one I bought.

Last edited by 90sundevil; 02-14-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:59 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Congrats on the new car. Glad the Porsche dealer was easy to work with and got what you wanted in the end. Surprising the Mac dealer did not want to deal.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:12 AM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tommyboy214
Congrats on the new car. Glad the Porsche dealer was easy to work with and got what you wanted in the end. Surprising the Mac dealer did not want to deal.
I think its a pissing match with Penske who owns the Porsche dealer and not buying one from them. Plus the few people I talked with had nothing good to say about the McLaren dealership or its owner and that included the tuner shop who did the McLaren. This will be my 22nd Porsche and I have never had a problem with them and i have always been treated fairly from the dealership and their service department. I really did like the McLaren and would have kept it but for the warranty problems with the McLaren dealership, the past owners history of the car and not being able to buy the extended warranty. But in the end I am much better off with the Porsche, buying it from Porsche North Scottsdale and the CPO warranty. I know I will have no problems with the Porsche for the next 3 plus years.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:56 AM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
You won't regret going with the Porsche

Old 02-18-2019, 09:36 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Obviously most of us on here are big Porsche fans. Prior to me buying my turbo I had a C2S which was a great car. While I was over in Pennsylvania looking at the car I ultimately purchased I decided to drive over to the local McLaren dealership and testdrive a 570 S. While I did like the car very much I just could not see myself being obligated to paying $500 a month for the rest of the time I own the car to extend the warranty. They only start with a three-year warranty. The car did not feel appreciably faster than the 911 and in fact the 911 does have more low-end grunt. I really did not get a chance to test the high-end of the car obviously. I am happy with my decision. Between Feeling insecure about the possible future issues and the large price difference I knew that the Mclaren wasn’t for me. Now that I’ve had my 911 for over six months I couldn’t be happier. By the way this is my fifth Porsche, and my fourth 911.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:10 AM
Originally Posted by neil.schneider
Obviously most of us on here are big Porsche fans. Prior to me buying my turbo I had a C2S which was a great car. While I was over in Pennsylvania looking at the car I ultimately purchased I decided to drive over to the local McLaren dealership and testdrive a 570 S. While I did like the car very much I just could not see myself being obligated to paying $500 a month for the rest of the time I own the car to extend the warranty. They only start with a three-year warranty. The car did not feel appreciably faster than the 911 and in fact the 911 does have more low-end grunt. I really did not get a chance to test the high-end of the car obviously. I am happy with my decision. Between Feeling insecure about the possible future issues and the large price difference I knew that the Mclaren wasn’t for me. Now that I’ve had my 911 for over six months I couldn’t be happier. By the way this is my fifth Porsche, and my fourth 911.
For me cars are my passion and I have plenty but never a Ferrari, McLaren or Lamborghini and I wanted to change that. Before I bought McLaren I test drove the 2015 458 spider and 2019 Huracan and they were fantastic and would have been in my garage if we could have made a deal but they were both light on my trade and high on their cars. The McLaren was a very good car, the build and paint were great, the carbon fiber on the car which there was about 25k of it from bumper to bumper was Porsche quality. The interior materials and dash layout were great but like my 2001 996 it lacked a glove box. But like you I did not want to be without a motor warranty it made no sense to spend 175k on it if there was a problem. And yes the CPO Porsche offers is great and give me piece of mind which make it easier to own. It had a tune and full catless exhaust and it was very quick and you heard it. Yes Porsche's are by far the best car out there as this car will be my 23rd Porsche and 21st 911 series. First was my fathers 1979 911SC Targa in 1991 right after college and since there has never been a day without some kind of Porsche product in my garage and usually there is 2 and many times 3 and on one rare occasion 4.

Last edited by 90sundevil; 02-19-2019 at 06:13 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:04 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Sometimes I really don’t understand Mclaren. They know their cars have a reputation for being problematic and yet they only offer a three-year warranty on a new vehicle. You then must be locked into buying an extended warranty from McLaren. This also feels a little sketchy as I have heard that it is not really well outlined what will be covered in the warranty itself. The fact that there are so few dealers is also a problem in my opinion. If you are unhappy with what a dealer tells you or want a second opinion it is almost impossible.

congratulations on the new car purchase.