Stage 1 vs 2 tune differences/requirements?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 02:50 PM
Vrrooom is on a distinguished road
Stage 1 vs 2 tune differences/requirements?

Trying to understand the true differences in the COBB maps between stage 1 and 2. stage 2 has more power advertised, is this because of the gains directly from the exhaust? What happens if you load a stage 2 map on a bone stock car? COBB says in their site that for a Stage 2 an exhaust is required... but there’s a number of threads stating the catback/muffler section offers no power gains, only the decat. So does exhaust mean you just need a decat pipe and not a full exhaust? Or does stage 2 mean you need the full exhaust including replacing the headers?

Just trying to to understand the differences between the different tunes.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Hey Vrrooom
Stage 2 raises power levels to where back-pressure and temps will get too high running the stock exhaust/cats. So a high flow exhaust is required. That said, on this car this means sport cats (the most restrictive part). Hope that helps and if I can be of assistance in any way feel free to reach out!
Thanks Sam. So would a decat pipe do the trick? I like the stock noise level and don’t want it too loud. For sale of interior noise on longer drives and keeping my neighbors happy, one who has a 1 year old and a new born on the way.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Congrats first of all! I get it totally. Yes if you are not looking for the ultimate in sound and/or power you can get by just fine with sport cats or bypass pipes. I feel the bypass may effect you in the smell department though. I have some lptions here you are welcome to try and if it's not ideal we can switch it up. There are a few nice docile complete exhaust options we stand behind as well that have less drone than factory.
Oh the newborn isn’t mine, neighbors I’ll reach out to you for some options. Thanks again Sam.