Test Drive...turning off PDCC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drspeed
Not that anyone asked, but since we'er on the subject....

In my book the jury is still out on PDCC style suspension (BMW calls it ARS or dynamic drive). I've had 2 BMWs with it. My 2 cents:

Learning a car takes time; how the clutch behaves, how the car reacts to steering inputs in various circumstances, how the brakes hold up etc etc.. Non-PDCC suspension is linear. You can learn the 'curve' of how the suspension reacts to predict body roll, understeer etc.. The PDCC is not linear in that sense. The suspension gets to a certain point and then sort of freezes (uses as much hydraulic pressure as necessary to prevent further leaning - like a huge bouncer holding someone at arms length).

Positives to PDCC -
the flat cornering feels really good as it generates lots of g force, the system softens in a straight line to theoretically give a more compliant straight ahead ride (this akin to the OP's question about turning the system off).

Negatives - weight, expense, promotes understeer, can feel unnatural when driving at or near the limits

I think that the 911 driver who is occasionally spirited but not a hooligan will benefit from PDCC. But if your into a lightweight machine that might see some track days (that's me) then I would always elect a baseline stiff mechanical setup.

But I haven't driven a 911 with PDCC yet...
Makes sense to me. I too prefer to have a little linear 'lean' to help me understand what the car is doing and how close I might be getting to cornering limits.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:31 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by drspeed
Easiest way to accomplish that is to make the car more comfortable and thus broaden the potential buyer base....
Easiest way to accomplish this is to improve the visual impact of the car which I (opinion) feel they did overwhelmingly.

I'm not sure Porsche thought people were walking away from 997.2 deals because of the car being too raw. Why should we think that our tastes in sports cars are more discriminating than that of "new 911 buyer"?

I drove the new 991 and it still feels you are strapped to the back of a Saturn rocket. Still raw enough. Engine still feels 6 inches from the back of your neck and shakes you to the bone when cold. </opinion>

Last edited by EricP; 02-02-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:50 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
Makes sense to me. I too prefer to have a little linear 'lean' to help me understand what the car is doing and how close I might be getting to cornering limits.

this is a good take on it in a nutshell....

Old 02-02-2012, 01:54 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JEllis
PDCC is probably a no go for me simply because I know I will most likely modify my 991 and am not sure there will be any good work-arounds for the suspension/wheel position sensors that PDCC relies on to work properly.

Jason

great...now I have to get the 991 and the gt3.....

(I can't see getting the S and not getting the PDCC..well...that is how I feel without driving the car yet.)

Old 02-02-2012, 03:43 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EricP
Easiest way to accomplish this is to improve the visual impact of the car which I (opinion) feel they did overwhelmingly.

I'm not sure Porsche thought people were walking away from 997.2 deals because of the car being too raw. Why should we think that our tastes in sports cars are more discriminating than that of "new 911 buyer"?

I drive the new 991 and it still feels you are strapped to the back of a Saturn rocket. Still raw enough. Engine still feels 6 inches from the back of your neck and shakes you to the bone when cold. </opinion>
I don't think i ever felt that way about a carrera. Maybe a gt3.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:30 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by djantlive
I don't think i ever felt that way about a carrera. Maybe a gt3.
Ahh - well I never drove a GT3 so I would probably be blown away

Old 02-02-2012, 07:29 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
great...now I have to get the 991 and the gt3.....

(I can't see getting the S and not getting the PDCC..well...that is how I feel without driving the car yet.)
You actually can't get PDCC in the base, only S - so with the 991 you really need to figure out what you want from a standard or S version. We opted for an Cayenne S versus a Turbo and have not looked back. I see the great looking Turbos and I just could not get myself to put 165k to an SUV versus the 125 we did for the S. But what we did is fully load it, PDCC, PTV, Full Leather, Bose Package, Ventilated, Light Package, and more - the car is awesome and really fast enough for these pretty crammed streets. I am really torn between getting the S and base when the 4s come out.

Last edited by uhn2000; 02-02-2012 at 07:34 PM.