test drive on a sunny day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:20 PM
911dreamer is on a distinguished road
test drive on a sunny day

Got out in a Cs today with PDK and Sport exhaust. The roads where kind of frosty, so I had to go easy, but first impressions...LOVE IT!
knowing that Porsche makes awesome cars, and knowing that this is a "new" car, I wasnt too concerned about whether or not it was going to be good, but more about a couple key concerns.
Room inside - very roomy, yet still very sporty. I didnt feel cramped like i did in the wifes Cayman. My shoulders didnt rub the door and there was more than enough leg and head room. The sport steering wheel felt great in my hands, not thin like the Caymans. I love the console and the display area, it just looks great. I wore cowboy boots to make sure my size 12's would be able to move around and they were. Granted, my car will be manual, i realy dont see the foot well being cramped.
Exhaust - the exhaust sounds awesome and I was still able to have a normal conversation with the dealer. It was very very nice, but I couldn't really hear a lot of difference between the normal mode and the sport. I figure it will take some breaking in of the cats to allow more sound out down the road. The sport did have a deeper growl though and it sounded great when I shifted down with the paddle and the throttle blipped. It was a short ride, so Ill leave it at that.
steering - not an issue. Anyone who is complaining about steering is ****. This car handles like a dream, and for the money, I really dont mind getting some comfort. Who drives these things like they are on the track all the time anyways? 90% of the time you are going to work or coming home.
In short, I walked away on a cloud and I love the car. I cant wait for mine to arrive in may.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:53 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
a very promising, positive review. in the vein of the carmag reviews and you didn`t get paid to say that.

"Who drives these things like they are on the track all the time anyways? 90% of the time you are going to work or coming home."

^^ so true and for all others there is still a GT3 etc. in the pipeline.

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 02-07-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:19 PM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
That is encouraging. I am questioning the wisdom of my 991 order due to arrive next month and had been looking at used R8's and left over GTS's

Old 02-07-2012, 01:23 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tromero
That is encouraging. I am questioning the wisdom of my 991 order due to arrive next month and had been looking at used R8's and left over GTS's

forget your doubts, i love the R8, but the new 991 is without a doubt the pinnacle of allround sportscars. the car, the benchmark by which all others are being measured.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:23 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
I am questioning the wisdom of my 991 order due to arrive next month and had been looking at used R8's and left over GTS's
Getting a left over GTS wouldn't be a bad option if you are indeed having doubts. At least you'll get the S at a deeply discounted price.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:27 PM
wait a few months and everyone is jumping on the 991 bandwagon.
The reactions now are typical and not new.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Test drive the 991 and GTS back to back. If you prefer the GTS, you want to get it while you still can.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:00 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Unless your getting PDCC and want the computers to do allot for you get the...

GTS...better looking car, with nearly equal performance at a good discount.

The R8 is a monster but draws to much attention in my book.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
The R8 is a monster but draws to much attention in my book.
I know what you mean. Similar issue with the Cayman R, though not as bad.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:54 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
The R8 is ugly in my opinion. Just quasi-supercar gaudy. I think you made the right choice - GTS's are the best of the 997 breed but are looking extremely dated by now.

I think your test drive opinion mirrors the thoughts of Chris Harris perfectly. 'You can sleep well with your decision.

Last edited by EricP; 02-07-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:39 PM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
R8 V10 is great, obviously, but I wouldn't get one now over a 991S, especially w/ the R8 refresh coming this year and new model next year.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:39 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Mehh.. the R8 is cool but I think I will get bored fast and its just too bling for me not to mention I can't stand Audi interiors or MMI. GTS is nice but why get an older model now when the new one is right around the corner, I wouldn't do it.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:41 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by AJag
R8 V10 is great, obviously, but I wouldn't get one now over a 991S, especially w/ the R8 refresh coming this year and new model next year.
^^^ heard its going to be a major one and unless you are pegged to MT they are not releasing this again (from what I heard). The V10 is special but .. I just don't think I could pull the trigger on it.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
wait a few months and everyone is jumping on the 991 bandwagon.
The reactions now are typical and not new.
I really think that something is up at Porsche. There are manufacturing delays of some sort, no cabs for testing, no MT, no C2, .. something is up. Its got to be huge demand or issues they are sorting out.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by uhn2000
I really think that something is up at Porsche. There are manufacturing delays of some sort, no cabs for testing, no MT, no C2, .. something is up. Its got to be huge demand or issues they are sorting out.
At least some C2s have been delivered in Germany and the UK.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: test drive on a sunny day