My Base Cab order (need advice/opinions)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Ptarded
Who said anything about trying to pass it off as an S?
Well, you mentioned doing the same thing (in addition to badging) to pass it off as a turbo.

Not what i was going for, but okay. Was simply stating if you liked to look of red calipers you could have them painted. Not trying to fool anyone into thinking you spent more on your car than you did. If one was worried about status symbols as you guys are implying they could simply buy a late model turbo for a heavy discount.
Understood, but to me, doing that on a C2 smacks of trying to have your car looks more expensive than it is. I see it all the time on Porsches and other cars. There's a guy with a restaurant not far from here that had AMG badging all over his SL 550 (badged as an SL63). It was well executed, but why would you do that other than to pretend it is something it is not?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Ptarded is a jewel in the roughPtarded is a jewel in the roughPtarded is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Sapster
Well, you mentioned doing the same thing (in addition to badging) to pass it off as a turbo.
I mentioned it as an example of something that would be gauche, as I think painting red calipers is not and is simply akin to adding a spoiler or racing stripes to a car, something that porsche does in fact do; i.e. adding a gt3 kit to a base carrera, when i performs nothing like one.

Originally Posted by Sapster
Understood, but to me, doing that on a C2 smacks of trying to have your car looks more expensive than it is. I see it all the time on Porsches and other cars. There's a guy with a restaurant not far from here that had AMG badging all over his SL 550 (badged as an SL63). It was well executed, but why would you do that other than to pretend it is something it is not?
Agreed, I'm not saying adding badges to your car to pretend it's different is okay. Frankly I don't care if you do want to badge your car as something different. Not my concern. My statement was, if you really like the red calipers, but don't want to S, then just paint them. Nothing wrong with a little customization. I feel the same about changing tail pipes, and lights around the car which many of us do. Rim's are also something indicative of a model but can be ordered to any car. It's a reasonable option simply not offered by Porsche at this time, or maybe it is. Perhaps you can call them and say hey I want red brakes, they are after all willing to paint the car any color of your choosing.

P.S. Incidentally, there is a used C2S on the lot down the street, with C4S badges on it and I think it's a stupid idea. Not endorsing passing cars off for more expensive counter parts.

Last edited by Ptarded; 02-21-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:37 PM
fixedupw203 is infamous around these parts
Does everyone else struggle with color selection?

I think I've changed my mind 10 times already. It's remained White on black (standard leather) since I put in the order but I might want something more unique.

What are everyone's thoughts?

White on Black
Agate with Yachting blue interior (black top)
Platinum Silver with Yachting blue interior (black top)

Are the last two crazy selections? White with Yachting blue interior sounds good as well but I dislike the blue top and I think white with a black top and blue interior is a bit overkill.

As much as I love the expresso interior I simply can't justify the extra 6k.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:46 AM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by fixedupw203
Does everyone else struggle with color selection?

I think I've changed my mind 10 times already. It's remained White on black (standard leather) since I put in the order but I might want something more unique.

What are everyone's thoughts?

White on Black
Agate with Yachting blue interior (black top)
Platinum Silver with Yachting blue interior (black top)

Are the last two crazy selections? White with Yachting blue interior sounds good as well but I dislike the blue top and I think white with a black top and blue interior is a bit overkill.

As much as I love the expresso interior I simply can't justify the extra 6k.
ANy of those are going to be great.

After seeing EricP's Espresso interior shots last week, I was going to change from a black full leather interior to it, but I never got around to it due to some stuff coming up.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Elias74 is infamous around these parts
Mine is:
Carrara White
Black\Platinum Leather
PDK
Sport package Plus
Wheels Carrera Classic
Sport Steer with paddles
Light design
PDLS

...and more...
VOICE CONTROL? What a waist of money i have it on my Mercedes GL: used maybe 4 times in 3 years...

:-)

Old 02-28-2012, 12:14 PM
fixedupw203 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Elias74
Mine is:
Carrara White
Black\Platinum Leather
PDK
Sport package Plus
Wheels Carrera Classic
Sport Steer with paddles
Light design
PDLS

...and more...
VOICE CONTROL? What a waist of money i have it on my Mercedes GL: used maybe 4 times in 3 years...

:-)
Got rid of voice control and added the sports exhaust

Old 02-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Elias74 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by fixedupw203
Got rid of voice control and added the sports exhaust
Simply a GREAT choice.

...SOUNDS GOOD NOW...!

Old 02-29-2012, 10:11 AM
cayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant future
I mentioned it as an example of something that would be gauche, as I think painting red calipers is not and is simply akin to adding a spoiler or racing stripes to a car, something that porsche does in fact do; i.e. adding a gt3 kit to a base carrera, when i performs nothing like one.
If just painting the black caliper to red seems something Pretentious, how about changing the whole rotors and calipers to bigger Brembos? (I think their calipers come in red, but I would not mind blue or yellow whatever)

I do not like the smallish stock rotors anyway. Can it be done at relatively low cost, say, $2-3,000?