My Base Cab order (need advice/opinions)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 01:12 PM
fixedupw203 is infamous around these parts
My Base Cab order (need advice/opinions)

Hey guys,

This is pretty tough and I need some input.

My order as it stands

Carrera White
Black Standard Interior
20" Carrera S wheels
Premium Package Plus
Bose
PDK
Sports Chrono Package
Sports Steering wheel
Voice Control
Smokers Package (cleans up the empty space)

I'm torn because I don't know what the stock base exhaust sounds like, don't really need the PASM and i'm finding it hard to justify spending an additional 15K for the S for an additional 50hp.

Are there any MUST have options I have left out? Is PSE worth an additional 3k?

I need to draw the line in the sand somewhere. It's really easy to get out of hand with these orders

Last edited by fixedupw203; 02-13-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by fixedupw203
Hey guys,

My order as it stands

Carrera White
Black Standard Interior
20" Carrera S wheels
Premium Package Plus
Bose
PDK
Sports Chrono Package
Sports Steering wheel
Voice Control

I'm torn because I don't know what the stock base exhaust sounds like, don't really need the PASM and i'm finding it hard to justify spending an additional 15K for the S for an additional 50hp.

I need to draw the line in the sand somewhere. It's really easy to get out of hand with these orders
My build is similar to yours with a few differences here and there.

I am getting PSE. From what I have read, the non PSE C2 and C2S exhausts are the same except for the tips. The PSE equipped C2S I drove sounded great. I know you can fit aftermarket, but I like being able to switch the volume up and down from the c_o_ckpit.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:56 PM
nicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the roughnicoff is a jewel in the rough
Hey guys,

My order as it stands

Carrera White
Black Standard Interior
20" Carrera S wheels
Premium Package Plus
Bose
PDK
Sports Chrono Package
Sports Steering wheel
Voice Control

In my opinion, the basic 991 meets the needs of probably 95% or more of the folks who drive P-cars. When I look at all the options that are available on a 991 (PASM, PCCB, PDCC, SC, PSE, 20 inch wheels, etc.) I keep thinking that most folks can save themselves 20 grand or more by keeping those options off the table and will most likely never even notice that they do not have them.
The basic non-S 991 is already a heck of a car: more HP than the current base 997; options which were extra on previous 996/997 cars (i.e., xenon lights, sport mode, and 19 inch wheels) are now standard in the base 991. So today, I would be very happy with a base 991 Carrera Cab. You can build a 991 Cab with PDK for less than $100k and that figure includes some options (such as heated seats and ventilated seats which are a most have in a Cab in cold/hot climates).
You listed Voice Control as one of your options. My experience with Voice Control features in other vehicles has been spotty. In the early days most Voice Control systems seemed to work only on commercials. There have been improvements since then I am sure, but given the driver position with controls within easy reach, you may end up pushing the button instead of attempting voice commands. Perhaps someone with hands-on experience with the current Porsche VC can chime in.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:12 PM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
I ordered my base with the 20 inch wheels as well. Is there something unique to the S that makes the 20 inch wheel work better on that configuration as opposed to the base car? Perhaps the base car was designed to work with 19s?

Old 02-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tromero
I ordered my base with the 20 inch wheels as well. Is there something unique to the S that makes the 20 inch wheel work better on that configuration as opposed to the base car? Perhaps the base car was designed to work with 19s?
The S has bigger brakes that already look a little small inside to 20" wheels. The smaller base brakes might look worse again.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by tromero
I don't think the base is designed to work with 19's. I think for an additional 1600, it beats spending 5k to upgrade the wheels down the road.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Sapster
The S has bigger brakes that already look a little small inside to 20" wheels. The smaller base brakes might look worse again.
are they indeed smaller or just not painted red? Anyone got a close up image of the base brakes?

Old 02-13-2012, 02:34 PM
I don't think the base is designed to work with 19's. I think for an additional 1600, it beats spending 5k to upgrade the wheels down the road.
This is why I shouldn't read these forums. Your logic is reasonable and I am now compelled to consider changing (i.e. grow) my order again.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:35 PM
are they indeed smaller or just not painted red? Anyone got a close up image of the base brakes?
They are definitely smaller, but still great brakes. Porsche has historically always done a superb job with brakes.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:39 PM
This is why I shouldn't read these forums. Your logic is reasonable and I am now compelled to consider changing (i.e. grow) my order again.
Likewise. You have me seriously considering the PSE now

Old 02-13-2012, 02:50 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
They are definitely smaller, but still great brakes. Porsche has historically always done a superb job with brakes.
I think my 997.2S has 4 caliper brakes. I think there's a good chance that the base uses those.

ChuckJ

Old 02-13-2012, 03:00 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Likewise. You have me seriously considering the PSE now
I concur, these forums make you spend more. They enlarged my order. If you wish to save money I would advise quitting the forums immediately.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I think my 997.2S has 4 caliper brakes. I think there's a good chance that the base uses those.

ChuckJ
From the configurator -

991 C2 brakes:

4-piston, aluminum fixed monobloc calipers front and rear
Brake discs with 330 mm (12.99 in.) diameter front and rear, all discs internally ventilated and cross-drilled

991 C2S brakes:

6-piston aluminum fixed monobloc calipers front and 4-piston aluminum fixed monobloc calipers rear
Brake discs with 340 mm (13.39 in.) diameter front and 330 mm (12.99 in.) rear, all discs internally ventilated and cross-drilled

997.2 C2 brakes:

4-piston monobloc fixed aluminum calipers front and rear
Ventilated and cross-drilled brake discs

997.2 C2S brakes:

4-piston monobloc fixed aluminum calipers front and rear
Ventilated and cross-drilled brake discs

Old 02-14-2012, 01:27 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Are base 991's available in the US yet? Coz my salesperson here said they delivered a few base 991s already, in fact his very first 991 delivery on Feb 1 was a base!

Old 02-14-2012, 04:11 AM
19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of
I find it funny that people are complaining about the look of the "small" brakes on the 991. I would challenge anyone to tell the difference of 10mm OD in the brake rotors if the calipers were not painted different colors.

The standard base car brakes a fantastic, especially compared to pretty much any other cars bbrakes out there. Much better feel than BMW....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Base Cab order (need advice/opinions)