on board in a 991 Carrera S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Elias74 can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by speed21
This particular incident was discussed on a thread i posted up on the 997tt forum a week or so back. see link..
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-nannys-2.html

If you look at post #19 there is more info to consider. A few opinions were passed but if you ask me it could have been anything....even someone on a motor bike....

Fair enough. I guess you have it now so......

Anyway have you got any pics to show yet?

Btw what Porsches have you owned?
Yes Speed21.

I'll post also my impressions about Steering plus option...

I saw MY 991 S yesterday morning to my dealer finally! I have to say that silver window frames, for my taste, give a very elegant look to the car. Anyway, tomorrow i'll have the PLATE NUMBER and the assurance, and then, after some hours, if things go straight i'll have my baby.

And then i'll post PICS and IMPRESSIONS.

Yes Speed21, i owned 1 carrera 4s (black) 996 and then a Boxter S 3.2 (silver). I tryed a gt3 (of a friend of mine).

But none had that option. I have this option on the BMW 335 Coupè that i'm givin in for my 991: that's because i founded this to be useful that i wanted it on 991 too

We'll see!

Old 03-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by gbhstrat
I don’t want to jump into the debate about this type of driving because the replies about driving this way are spot on. But….. I would agree with the author with his comments about “this is Naples…” For those that have never been to Naples Italy, I will speak up for the author of this thread and say that this type of driving is totally normal over there. I have been to Naples about 10 times and that city is friggin’ nuts when it comes to driving and their local law enforcement. Even the Italians in other cities make fun of Naples. I am an experienced track rat and I have driven in many countries around the world but I refuse to drive in Naples. I have had some of my most scary Taxi rides in Naples going to work and back and many taxi drivers act just like the just like the Porsche video except that may also be talking on the phone at the same time. Honestly, full throttle, yelling on the phone and passing and yelling at cars all at the same time with one hand one the wheel. I have had a Taxi go the wrong way down a one way (one car width) alley for at least three city blocks at aggressive speed to get to the other end before another car appears (I actually yelled at the guy that I am not in a hurry). The alley was so tight that if someone walked out a door and took one step it would have been lights out. They pass on both the right and left hand shoulders at almost any place on the road, including on ramps on and off ramps. One time I was in a Taxi and we were doing about 130 K when we took an exit ramp to the next freeway, he slowed a little but the car in front of us was doing about half his speed in the middle of an elevated ramp .... no problem, just pass on the right shoulder and hope the other guy moves over a little so you miss the big pole. Oh by the way, the pole has a sign on it saying no passing on shoulder. The other good story was when I was driving into work with my American co-worker who lives there. We go blasting through this stop sign during the morning rush hour to get to work without even hesitating. I ask “what up with ripping through the stop sign” as I am white knuckled holding on to the OH SH^% handles. His response, “nobody stops at that stop sign, if you stop, you may cause a car wreck because everyone knows to blow through the stop sign. I almost got killed the first time I stopped there”.
That's it. As i told, Naples (Napoli), is a stand alone country.

We (Italians) respect laws. Not in Naples.

A lot of italians are ashamed of Naples citizen...

Also regarding the way they "drive"...even without a licence.

Anyway rest of Italy is a whole different country.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:19 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Subscribing. this is a bundle of fun... Americans and an Aussie telling an Italian how not to drive a Porsche in Napoli! Priceless!!

Old 03-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by hroussard
Subscribing. this is a bundle of fun... Americans and an Aussie telling an Italian how not to drive a Porsche in Napoli! Priceless!!

Old 03-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
I think what's more priceless is seeing guys subscribe to this level of incompetence as being excusable because of it taking place in a city renown for reckless behaviour.

So that can mean only one of two things to me: 1) you drive like that yourself and think it's pretty cool or, 2) you like the idea of being able to drive like that.....and, with the one hand etc. Throwing off at people that disagree with this behaviour may be your prerogative but i personal don't see any humour in it. Needless to say that in this instance it is also a poor reflection on people that drive Porsches.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:47 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
I think what's more priceless is seeing guys subscribe to this level of incompetence as being excusable because of it taking place in a city renown for reckless behaviour.

So that can mean only one of two things to me: 1) you drive like that yourself and think it's pretty cool or, 2) you like the idea of being able to drive like that.....and, with the one hand etc. Throwing off at people that disagree with this behaviour may be your prerogative but i personal don't see any humour in it. Needless to say that in this instance it is also a poor reflection on people that drive Porsches.
As another European, I am an aggressive driver, no doubt about that. I also refrain from texting, calling, shaving, changing diapers or poking in my nose when driving. It is all what you are used to and frankly driving - in an automatic no less- with 1 hand is not a crime it's a normal thing to do. I also think that viewing a scene through a small ****ty camera is not at all realistic when you actually sit and drive in that very same car. My 13 cents. And.. Speed, what does that have to do with driving a Porsche... Ever been in New York and taken a cab or what about Istanbul, ever hauled a Dolmus???? It's all what you are used to as as the Guy said.. it's Napoli.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:32 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down

That was a horrible video. I feel dumber for watching it.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
As another European, I am an aggressive driver, no doubt about that. I also refrain from texting, calling, shaving, changing diapers or poking in my nose when driving. It is all what you are used to and frankly driving - in an automatic no less- with 1 hand is not a crime it's a normal thing to do. I also think that viewing a scene through a small ****ty camera is not at all realistic when you actually sit and drive in that very same car. My 13 cents. And.. Speed, what does that have to do with driving a Porsche... Ever been in New York and taken a cab or what about Istanbul, ever hauled a Dolmus???? It's all what you are used to as as the Guy said.. it's Napoli.
You are essentially saying all europeans are aggressive drivers, and driving like an irresponsible reckless FW is cool by you. Hmm. Your reply sure proved my points 1 and 2....

Incidentally, it's odd how that video didn't show everyone in Naples driving like a total fw other than the d-bag in the white 991. A lack of law and order may well allow d-bags to behave like d-bags however, it doesn't mean you have to be a d-bag yourself to fit in.

And if driving with one hand slipping all over the place at those speeds and conditions is "fine" in your books "because the car is an Auto", then it's fair and reasonable to say not every person born was endowed with a brain in their head.

Anyway, I'm done with this nonsense talk. If this is all "cool" and the "norm" for you hroussard then good luck. I just feel sorry for others around you when you are driving your auto flat strap with one hand flopping over the steering wheel....wherever that may be. My best advice is for you to take a driving course and see how you fare with your one handed lead footed driving style.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:26 PM
You are essentially saying all europeans are aggressive drivers, and driving like an irresponsible reckless FW is cool by you. Hmm. Your reply sure proved my points 1 and 2....

Incidentally, it's odd how that video didn't show everyone in Naples driving like a total fw other than the d-bag in the white 991. A lack of law and order may well allow d-bags to behave like d-bags however, it doesn't mean you have to be a d-bag yourself to fit in.

And if driving with one hand slipping all over the place at those speeds and conditions is "fine" in your books "because the car is an Auto", then it's fair and reasonable to say not every person born was endowed with a brain in their head.

Anyway, I'm done with this nonsense talk. If this is all "cool" and the "norm" for you hroussard then good luck. I just feel sorry for others around you when you are driving your auto flat strap with one hand flopping over the steering wheel....wherever that may be. My best advice is for you to take a driving course and see how you fare with your one handed lead footed driving style.
Yep, got it and been there done that too. Quite well actually, with one and two hands and 2 and 3 pedals, with left and right hand steering in left hand and right hand drive countries. All good, thanks for the suggestions :-)

Old 03-26-2012, 02:20 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Elias74
Yes Speed21.

I'll post also my impressions about Steering plus option...

I saw MY 991 S yesterday morning to my dealer finally! I have to say that silver window frames, for my taste, give a very elegant look to the car. Anyway, tomorrow i'll have the PLATE NUMBER and the assurance, and then, after some hours, if things go straight i'll have my baby.

And then i'll post PICS and IMPRESSIONS.

Yes Speed21, i owned 1 carrera 4s (black) 996 and then a Boxter S 3.2 (silver). I tryed a gt3 (of a friend of mine).

But none had that option. I have this option on the BMW 335 Coupè that i'm givin in for my 991: that's because i founded this to be useful that i wanted it on 991 too

We'll see!
Bump this thread. Elias where is that car of yours? Pics? You've got our curiosity aroused. Hows that super lightweight steering system? Any word yet?
Thanks.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:43 AM
Bump this thread. Elias where is that car of yours? Pics? You've got our curiosity aroused. Hows that super lightweight steering system? Any word yet?
Thanks.
Hi Speed21!

I've just posted some pictures of my C2s today! Check the right thread (Picture thread).

About Light Steering option. Judging from very first impression, it seems to me it's a very very nice option to have. At high speed my steering wheel is sensitive, precise and tough in the right way, while at very low speed and on maneuvres it is wonderfully light! You can turn your car with one finger without fatigue at all! Wonderful!

I drove my C2S quite fast also, even if i didn't rev too much because it's new and i say that driving fast it send back to u very very good feelings. At low speed (like parking lots etc.), it's soooft and smooth, like driving a model car.

And i like it! Not necessary obviously but...RECOMMENDED.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:52 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Elias74
Hi Speed21!

I've just posted some pictures of my C2s today! Check the right thread (Picture thread).

About Light Steering option. Judging from very first impression, it seems to me it's a very very nice option to have. At high speed my steering wheel is sensitive, precise and tough in the right way, while at very low speed and on maneuvres it is wonderfully light! You can turn your car with one finger without fatigue at all! Wonderful!

I drove my C2S quite fast also, even if i didn't rev too much because it's new and i say that driving fast it send back to u very very good feelings. At low speed (like parking lots etc.), it's soooft and smooth, like driving a model car.

And i like it! Not necessary obviously but...RECOMMENDED.
Thanks elias i'll take a look right now and good to hear you are enjoying it.

Btw just how light is the steering when the car gathers speed or is it too early to make a call on that?

Old 03-26-2012, 04:28 AM
Yes, believe me, the trim is silver...

I took these pictures with my iPhone and flash light...it's an evident distortion...

Well, the steering gather a good weight the more u speed up and it's always giving u a perfect feeling of the road.

Well, this options works only at low speed, but i repeat, i like it so much!