Flat tires/options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:02 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I keep an eye on the Tire Pressure Monitoring System as much as I do the oil pressure, temp and other important gauges and I haven't been stranded with a flat on the road. I also have a compressor in the garage and I have had to use that twice when a tire was low when I went to use the car. It just seems to be one of the trade-offs if you want this kind of a car, especially when you have one with extreme high aspect ratio tires (30s).

ChuckJ

Old 03-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jmmk
What would you like to change in order to have a spare tire? A bigger car? Smaller, narrower wheels and tires maybe? How about give up the structural integrity of the front-end crumple zone? You could always raise the car's ride height and mount it underneath. Or you could change the gasoline tank to two gallons. You could change to run-flat tires and get a lot of road noise and rough ride and instability at high speeds. Or you could completely redesign the looks and put a "lump" somewhere that holds a spare. Come up with a modification that withstands the criticism of the other people on this forum.

If you are worried about a flat tire, take a spare when you feel most insecure and give up something else you intended to take, like a passenger or luggage. Or play the odds like most people successfully do. But if you put your complaints on the internet, expect to find plenty of anecdotes where someone had bad luck. And if you are really paranoid, find a way to carry two spares in case one is not enough. Or three. Or four.
The 986 and 996 were able to accomodate a spare in the trunk. I think the issue with the 991 is it is difficult to find somewhere to put the wheel that you take off. They are significantly bigger than the 17" and 18" wheels that were on the earlier cars. Would it fit on the back seat?( in a bag, of course)

Old 03-22-2012, 12:53 PM
jmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to all
Originally Posted by fbroen
There was a spare tire option in the 991 builder for a while. I was curious to find out more. Then it disappeared.
Though it doesn't fit the design parameters of the car, in some countries it is a law. And that may be because of the bad roads.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:03 PM
jmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Sapster
The 986 and 996 were able to accomodate a spare in the trunk. I think the issue with the 991 is it is difficult to find somewhere to put the wheel that you take off. They are significantly bigger than the 17" and 18" wheels that were on the earlier cars. Would it fit on the back seat?( in a bag, of course)
Other cars with the same problem (or is it a trade-off?) are Corvettes and Ferraris. If the flat can't be fixed with the sealant and the on board compressor, and most can, and the delay for roadside assistance is excessive, then that is the only thing you can try. Is there a jack? Would you rather have smaller tires on narrower wheels just because you "might" have a flat every 30,000 miles or so? Get the roof racks and carry a rally's worth.

If you had a space saver spare (instead of luggage room) you could hide the damaged wheel and tire somewhere and come back for it.

You know I'm just kidding, don't you? To me, it's only a legitimate complaint when you can have a simple solution. Everything else is covered by design decisions.