Outdoors parking -- anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:42 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Outdoors parking -- anyone?

Anyone park their P-car outside? Any clever tips, words of wisdom?

Car covers always seem suspect to me as I would be afraid of chafing and scratching underneath? (Plus it is of course easier to not use one.)

Sold 997 was a week end car garage queen. Incoming 991 will be a true daily driver AND will be parked outside. Recently moved to a historic home/district and am very lucky to at least have off-street driveway(!).

In some ways -- by this car not being put on such a pedestal, and it being outside and not perfectly shined at all times -- i think will provide more enjoyment than the will-it-rain-today-garage dweller.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:43 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
I have seen this solution locally, and I may be able to get the something like it by the permitting process of the Historic Preservation Committee, but I am not counting on it:

Last edited by fbroen; 03-30-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Or I will just have to enjoy it for what it is. This being one of my all-time favorite 911 pics:

Old 03-30-2012, 10:06 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fbroen
Or I will just have to enjoy it for what it is. This being one of my all-time favorite 911 pics:

This pic was taken in Belgium where I spent the first 37 years of my life and do not remember having seen many GT3's parked on the street
Did you take this pic yourself or did it come from the Internet ?

Old 03-30-2012, 10:10 AM
I wish. It is just a pic that I have come across and like a lot.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:10 AM
zanwar will become famous soon enoughzanwar will become famous soon enough
Take a walk in the right part of London and you might see a Veyron parked on the street.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:03 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
I wisht the 991 looked like that GT3.... WOW....

Old 03-30-2012, 11:09 PM
DS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to behold
Makes me wonder how the 991 GT3 will look?

Old 03-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
I do agree that you'll probably drive the car much more if it's parked outside (no worries about getting the car a little dirty). In terms of the elements, I think sun exposure is probably the worst -- so a canopy or some sort of sun cover above would be good. A car cover might be nice if the car has just been washed, and will sit for a few days. Have fun enjoying the car like it's a car!

Old 03-31-2012, 09:14 AM
cayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant future
If you have lots of trees around your driveway, then it may be a bigger problem then rain as leaves, flower dusts, etc will be flown to your car and creep into every gap, especially at the bottom of windshield where wipers are located.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:12 PM
DS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to behold
There are polymer scratch less covers. Not sure about how effective they are. Sound incredible in marketing material. Regardless, pain of removing, putting on, folding, throwing in washer dryer is too much work.

991 is not list here: http://www.autoanything.com/car-cove...hershield.aspx

Does not say if it is polymer via Suncoast
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991EX.html

Old 04-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Thx guys for tips and links. Very much appreciated.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:25 PM
RubenV is on a distinguished road

Thanks! I took this picture

Old 04-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Too cool. What's the story, is it your car, did you just happen upon it, was it parked for the night?

I dig the shot for a lot of reasons, the dark, the great contrasting silver, cool architecture buildings, the water reflections on the wet asphalt, and the great angle.

But perhaps the coolest thing to me is the seemingly chilly, cold rain and the appearance that the car is, well, used as a car -- parked on a street corner in bad weather -- yet it is such a sublime and special auto.

It sort of conveys that this is how they are meant to be used -- daily and without worrying excessively.

Ok, rant over...

Old 04-03-2012, 03:00 AM
RubenV is on a distinguished road
Too cool. What's the story, is it your car, did you just happen upon it, was it parked for the night?

I dig the shot for a lot of reasons, the dark, the great contrasting silver, cool architecture buildings, the water reflections on the wet asphalt, and the great angle.

But perhaps the coolest thing to me is the seemingly chilly, cold rain and the appearance that the car is, well, used as a car -- parked on a street corner in bad weather -- yet it is such a sublime and special auto.

It sort of conveys that this is how they are meant to be used -- daily and without worrying excessively.

Ok, rant over...
It's not my car, I was going to get some food when I passed by this GT3.
As soon as I finished my food I took my camera and walked back to the GT3. I started taking some pictures and after a few minutes it started snowing.

The car was parked outside a bar and I think the owner was having fun inside the bar...

Here are some other pictures

Here you can actually see the snow,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Outdoors parking -- anyone?