Easy Entry

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 07:02 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nicoli
I hear you - I'm not trying to be contrary or argumentative. Kudo's to Dux for finding a solution that works for him....but.

This has been covered before:

Removing-Entry-Drive-Plastic-Key
I agree that removal has been covered before. I was referring to the fact that all functionality of Entry and Drive is not lost, as was stated / implied earlier in this thread.

Regards...

Old 12-11-2012, 07:57 PM
CO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud of
I sure wish I knew about this earlier. I did NOT get the keyless option because I i hated the fake key. My build is already in and locked so no changes now. Oh well, I'll just have to get used to using a key in this car.
In any event great find!!

Old 12-11-2012, 08:28 PM
GTSLVR991S is on a distinguished road
Great find dux! What an epic revelation. I too was concerned that the dummy key might attract unwanted curiosity. This car just keeps on getting better and better. Although I'm also spoiled by the leave the key in pocket and forget it syndrome, it's nice to have the option of taking the dummy key out for unfamiliar situations. Now just to be clear, you waited until the grace period for the electrics to go out, then pull? And I assume to put back, you just simply insert key and turn after initial entry?

Can't wait to try this out tomorrow!

Old 12-11-2012, 08:30 PM
GTSLVR991S is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dux
I agree that removal has been covered before. I was referring to the fact that all functionality of Entry and Drive is not lost, as was stated / implied earlier in this thread.

Regards...
So Epic.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:57 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
In the words of Gold-Member "my pents are toite" so the key is sometimes a little irritating in my pocket.

As for removal, what worked for me was ignition on - off. Wait for 15-30 seconds. (You'll hear and feel a definitive click) and remove the $0.10 plastic "key".

Perhaps I'll respray mine and grind it down to a less conspicuous stub.

Oh to have a starter button...

To put back the fake key at any point, simply insert...

Last edited by dux; 12-11-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:52 AM
dwaynemosley is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dux

Regards...
Hmm..... Mine is at the dealer getting a PSE installed and the PDK update done. I'll have to try this newest development. Previous tests on mine resulted in none of the keyless functions working with the dummy key removed.

In fact, one time I returned to the car and it had completely quit acknowledging the keyless functionality. It unlocked from the key fob but would not start until I removed the dummy key and inserted the real key fob. So, I'm stuck in a parking lot digging out the wire and hoping the key fob will start it. It did. I drove it home, removed the key fob, reinserted the dummy key, and everything was normal again with no issues since.

I tested it again later and no keyless functions worked without the dummy key inserted in the switch. Wonder if this has anything to do with build dates or S/W levels. Mine is an 03/12 build. More testing when the car is back.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:35 AM
dux
Still working fine this morning.
I did have my software updated during a recent campaign visit, so you may want to call your service adviser make sure you're up to date.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:12 AM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by dux
Sorry to revive this post, but something very interesting happened tonight.

I was sitting in the car for about a minute with the door open with the ignition off.
I then heard a distinct click around the Dunny key area as the electronics were shutting down. I decided to gently pull on it, at which point it easily came out.

I placed the Dummy Key in the house and decided to test the "Entry and Drive" functions with just my key fob.

To my amazement everything still works!!

Doors unlock by touching the handle.
Frunk still opens by placing hand under Porsche emblem.
Door still locks my pressing button on door.

So now I can can start the car using the key fob and no longer that ridiculous looking Dummy key.

It looks so much better, and I don't have to look for a place to store the fob while driving, or worry about people thinking that I left my key in the ignition.

Contrary to what was stated in this thread, there is a way out of "Dummy key" hell.
Just to make sure I understand what you're saying:

With the dummy key out (and presumably safely stored in your house) you can now walk up to the car and open the door or trunk by touching in the correct spot, but in order to start the car you still have have to fish the real key out of your pocket and insert it into the switch & twist?

So in other words, you now have Porsche Entry, but not Drive?

That's a great work-around, if that's what you want. But then, why did you order Entry & Drive?

And as a result of this Find, I'm not sure what you mean by now "I don't have to look for a place to store the fob while driving." Why wouldn't it still be in your pocket instead of starting the car with the dummy but taking the real key out of your pocket and finding a place in the car to store it?

I do not understand. Do you not wear pants with pockets?

Old 01-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I have a 991S Cab coming with Porsche Entry and Drive. I have a question. The car wash I use is a "hand" wash and I stay in the driver's seat with the ignition off when they do the hand wash. Am I far enough away with the fob in my pocket so the front hood won't pop when they wash the lower/forward part of the hood?

John in Vancouver

Old 01-03-2013, 11:31 AM
tahoe_joe has a spectacular aura abouttahoe_joe has a spectacular aura about
Can Entry and Drive be ordered as a standalone option or only as part of the Premium Plus Package?

Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 PM
fantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by tahoe_joe
Can Entry and Drive be ordered as a standalone option or only as part of the Premium Plus Package?
It's only forced upon us as part of the package

Old 01-03-2013, 12:22 PM
tahoe_joe has a spectacular aura abouttahoe_joe has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by fantom
It's only forced upon us as part of the package
ugh! i don't really want the seat ventilation (california) or the light design package. so i have to pay $1700 for entry and drive. not sure it make sense. would love to hear others' thoughts.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:48 PM
gulrey22 has a spectacular aura aboutgulrey22 has a spectacular aura about
I didn't want the Seat Ventilation either and didn't know what the Light Design package was exactly. These features along with the Entry and Drive came with the Premium Plus Package that was on the car I took off the dealer lot.

Had I ordered the car, I had not planned to get the Plus part of the package.

At this point however, I am happy to have these features.

I have tried the Seat Ventilation only briefly as it is a little cool this time of year where I live, but I have to say, I kind of liked it and think it might be nice in the summer.

The Light Design feature is really kind of cool looking. There are a series of LED lights illuminating the doors, footwells and rear seat compartment. It is a very white looking light. I have not had this before in other cars as the only thing lit was the dash board area. This is really nice looking and a pleasant environment to be in when driving at night.