Easy Entry

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 05:46 PM
fixedupw203 is an unknown quantity at this point
Easy Entry

Has anyone tried removing the dummy key? If so, do all the functions still work (ie. can you still unlock/lock the door by grabbing the door handle/pushing the button?

I only ask because I am a bit worried someone is going to walk by my cab when I finally get it and think I left the key in the ignition and break in.

Also, on rennlist a member posted a picture of what it appears with out the dummy key but it's a really low definition picture and I can't tell exactly what he did. I can't seem to post there either for a lack of permission so can't find out.

Any after market solutions (push buttons in the works?)

Old 10-28-2012, 05:27 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Did you ever find an answer?
A valid question regarding removal of the stub key..

Old 10-29-2012, 09:09 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fixedupw203

Any after market solutions (push buttons in the works?)
Good question because from what I've seen, this is really a push button system that is activated by twist rather than push. It's a fully automatic starting system that doesn't require the operator to hold the switch to keep the starter activated.

ChuckJ

Old 10-29-2012, 10:15 AM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Good question because from what I've seen, this is really a push button system that is activated by twist rather than push. It's a fully automatic starting system that doesn't require the operator to hold the switch to keep the starter activated.

ChuckJ
I need to keep the dummy key turned on my system like a traditional key otherwise the starter will stop turning, just like we are all used to. I tried pulling on the dummy key (just a bit) but it didn't budge, and I haven't played with removal other than that.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:22 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nicoli
I need to keep the dummy key turned on my system like a traditional key otherwise the starter will stop turning, just like we are all used to. I tried pulling on the dummy key (just a bit) but it didn't budge, and I haven't played with removal other than that.
Yep, I'm sure it's not a DYI fix, but someone like mods4cars could do it:
http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/?p...IyZWhpbi1DTEE=

You might want to go to their contact page and ask them if they are or would contemplate such a mod. I'm confident they could do it.

ChuckJ

Old 10-29-2012, 02:07 PM
dwaynemosley is on a distinguished road
If you remove the "dummy" key, none of the keyless functions work. Everything works from the keyfob only.

Taking the "dummy" key out is fairly easy. Take the long thin metal tool (is it a tool?) out of the fusebox cover on the driver's side, pop off the door on the ignition switch beside the "dummy" key, press in the wire and the "dummy" pops out. The keyfob then will do everything.

It would be nice to have a button or something there that does not closely resemble a key in the switch. IMHO, having that "dummy" key hanging out there does infer that the driver has left the car key inside the car. A non-informed car thief might break out the window only to realize that it is not actually a key, and it won't start the car. Then they might do more damage just for spite.

I understand the years of tradition of a left-hand side keyswitch. But, in my mind, this is not a good design.....

Old 10-29-2012, 02:48 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Dwaynemoseley - When you say "none of the keyless functions work", are you referring to Keyless Entry and auto folding mirrors, or are there others that I may have missed.

I had to Valet the car a few weeks ago, and the guy tried to rip the dummy key out. Truly a senseless design with the glaring absence of a button.
Thx

Old 10-29-2012, 06:48 PM
dwaynemosley is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dux
Dwaynemoseley - When you say "none of the keyless functions work", are you referring to Keyless Entry and auto folding mirrors, or are there others that I may have missed.

I had to Valet the car a few weeks ago, and the guy tried to rip the dummy key out. Truly a senseless design with the glaring absence of a button.
Thx
Everything requires using the keyfob buttons. For instance, you can't touch the handle and it unlocks, or move your hand over the front bumper and the hood opens. You can't press the button on the door handle and lock the car. Those are all keyless functions that require the "dummy" key to be in place.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by dwaynemosley
Everything requires using the keyfob buttons. For instance, you can't touch the handle and it unlocks, or move your hand over the front bumper and the hood opens. You can't press the button on the door handle and lock the car. Those are all keyless functions that require the "dummy" key to be in place.
Yep, if someone was going to replace it with a button, it would have to include all the other "functions" that the "dummy" key has.

ChuckJ

Old 10-29-2012, 08:58 PM
dux
Thanks to you both for the clarification. This goose is clearly cooked.

Upon further review the Dummy Key looks just fine to me...

Old 12-11-2012, 05:36 PM
dux
Sorry to revive this post, but something very interesting happened tonight.

I was sitting in the car for about a minute with the door open with the ignition off.
I then heard a distinct click around the Dunny key area as the electronics were shutting down. I decided to gently pull on it, at which point it easily came out.

I placed the Dummy Key in the house and decided to test the "Entry and Drive" functions with just my key fob.

To my amazement everything still works!!

Doors unlock by touching the handle.
Frunk still opens by placing hand under Porsche emblem.
Door still locks my pressing button on door.

So now I can can start the car using the key fob and no longer that ridiculous looking Dummy key.

It looks so much better, and I don't have to look for a place to store the fob while driving, or worry about people thinking that I left my key in the ignition.

Contrary to what was stated in this thread, there is a way out of "Dummy key" hell.

Last edited by dux; 12-11-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
This is a great find. Many thanks for sharing this experience...such things make these forums so darn useful...thumbs up!!

Rep points to you !!

Old 12-11-2012, 06:14 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
man, I'd go crazy if I had to take my keys out to drive a car anymore..I got really used to never touching them after leaving the house. They just stay nice and tucked away in my pocket.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nicoli
man, I'd go crazy if I had to take my keys out to drive a car anymore..I got really used to never touching them after leaving the house. They just stay nice and tucked away in my pocket.
Yep I have had it for over 6 yrs on my cars too...it's so convenient. But this find by Dux is great. It prevents it from getting damaged by the bozos (valet parking etc...)

Old 12-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Fester
Yep I have had it for over 6 yrs on my cars too...it's so convenient. But this find by Dux is great. It prevents it from getting damaged by the bozos (valet parking etc...)
I hear you - I'm not trying to be contrary or argumentative. Kudo's to Dux for finding a solution that works for him....but.

This has been covered before:

Removing-Entry-Drive-Plastic-Key

My first car with keyless operation was an '09 MINI Cabriolet S, followed by a BMW 335i, then an Audi A5 S-line Cabriolet, then a MINI Countryman S All4, then I drove a 997 4S Cab for a while without the feature and about had a fit having to remove keys from pockets to drive the car (lol), and well..traded the 997 on an Audi S5 with the google nav tech and all that..but it wasn't a Porsche tranny under there hence the 991 experience which seriously has everything I can ask for in a performance-class automobile at this point in life

Looove the 991.. That's what I'm trying to say here

Last edited by nicoli; 12-11-2012 at 06:55 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Easy Entry