my full review on the 3.4 base, MT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:49 AM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
Here are some more pics for you guys

Attached Images    
Old 04-09-2012, 08:51 AM
tachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to all
Originally Posted by tromero
you got clear side markers already. nice. that's on my list when mine arrives.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:31 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Have you seen what kind of gas mileage you get yet:
1. Highway steady 65
2. Overall

ChuckJ

Old 04-09-2012, 01:53 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Have you seen what kind of gas mileage you get yet:
1. Highway steady 65
2. Overall

ChuckJ
In NJ if you do 65 you get run over...

Old 04-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
In NJ if you do 65 you get run over...
Agreed. I once got puller over by a friendly State Trooper on the Turnpike for speeding. He told me to keep it below 80 and nobody would pull me over.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:19 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sapster
Agreed. I once got puller over by a friendly State Trooper on the Turnpike for speeding. He told me to keep it below 80 and nobody would pull me over.
New state license plate saying if I ever heard one! Up there with "New Jersey - you gotta problem with that?" and "the pothole state."

Old 04-09-2012, 03:20 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tromero
Congrats - great looking car! Drive it in good health! My clear side markers go on next week.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:15 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats on the new car, but I disagree with a few points in your review.

1) The difference the electric steering makes is noticeable. I've been driving new Porsches since 2005 and I definitely, definitely could feel the difference it makes. So can all the magazines, so I'm happy for you if you don't notice it, but it's there. It's different.

2) The sport seats are great but so are the standard seats. I would not by any means say the sport seats are a must have. In fact if you're broad shouldered you might find them just a little bit crowded compared to the standard seats

3) The performance sport exhaust is INCREDIBLE. For any of you who have ever owned a Ducati motorcycle I would compare it to putting on Termignoni pipes vs the stock set up. It adds a great deal to the emotion of the car.

Anyway, to each his own, I'm just one guy, but that's my 2 cents. And again congrats on a gorgeous car.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:22 PM
fixedupw203 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
OK first apologies to the OP for the thread hijack!
Although I have a feeling he's out riding his new 991 and probably forgot about any of us hehehe

Drove the 991 (for the 4th time ) but this time back to back with the Maser GT-S.

+ points for the GT-S are...

-Amazing sound in sports mode!!!!
-Visually striking.
-Amazing quality interior (leather is unreal!).
-Real back seats!
-Lots of thumbs up and open mouths hehehe.
-Oh and did I mention that AMAZING SOUND!

- points...

-It's really big (and it feels really big!)... the 20" rims look tiny VS the 991.
-Huge gap between the tire and wheel well.
-Interior space is smaller than the 991 (driver).
-They put a "waffle iron" as a break paddle, I mean it's HUGE and sits low so ya can't stretch your leg out.
-Seating is terrible, you sit "on top" rather than "in" the seat (even my 2010 E class Benz feels sportier!), it's just odd.
-I cannot see myself going for random "milk runs" with this nor 4 hour+ rides...
-The wife said that it felt under powered (usually she'll give me "that look" in the 911 hehe) and she's right though, that 4.7 engine is a cow compared to the 3.8 991.
-Transmission (paddle shift) doesn't come close to the 991.

Overall the Maser looks great, sounds even better but I was happy to get out of it after a few hours and stretch my legs... with the 991 I just wanted to keep going... and going and goi... ya get my drift

Overall it was disappointing... and I knew this was a GT car so I had the right mindset to start with but it goes beyond the lack of oompf... way beyond!

991 is MUCH more comfortable for long rides (and I'm 6'4"+) but when ya hit that sport or sport+ button it's a monster... really takes ya by surprise the first time ya put your foot to the floor hehehe.
You can't help saying wowwwww... never happened in the maserati.
Only true wow is the exhaust note, but what a WOWWWW that is!

I think one phrase sums it up... Porsche, there is no substitute!!

Hope this was helpful to you guys.
Cheers!
Did you test drive a 991 with the Performance Sport Exhaust? I drove one but where I really said wow was when I heard it as a pedestrian. It's unlike any other car I have heard and puts the Maserati to shame IMO. What are your thoughts re: PSE?

Old 04-10-2012, 06:59 PM
tachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to all
Originally Posted by AG991
Congrats - great looking car! Drive it in good health! My clear side markers go on next week.
did you get the side markers from suncoast? if not can you tell me where and how much it was?

I want to get the parts ready although mine will be delivered in 3 month

Old 04-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fixedupw203
Did you test drive a 991 with the Performance Sport Exhaust? I drove one but where I really said wow was when I heard it as a pedestrian. It's unlike any other car I have heard and puts the Maserati to shame IMO. What are your thoughts re: PSE?
I've driven the 991 four times, with and without PSE.
My personal preference is definitely with PSE... by a mile!!
Especially in the cab there will be no need for a audio system.

There are 2 big difference between the Maserati GT-S and the 991.

The 1st one is the tone, the 2nd is range and duration...
The Maser is more "emotional", like being enveloped by a soothing yet highly exciting symphony of sounds which you almost more experience than hear and that state of being is easily sustained with throttle control...
It is truly a unique experience, however it's audible only... there is absolutely no connection with the performance of the car itself...
Some say it's like a Ferrari but having owned a F360 my opinion is the F. is more raspy and aggressive...

The 991 on the other hand is more climactic with a sense of immediacy... it's less "emotional" but more thrilling.
It delivers rising and falling crescendos, it growls, pops, screams and barks... an aggressive, animalistic audible translation of what the vehicle is doing... the back end digs in, starts to shimmy and shake while it repels you forward as the G forces slam you back in your seat... and you just know when you take your foot of the accelerator that 991 is going to be growling and snarling in protest to the sudden deceleration with such aggressive dominant intensity that it will scare old ladies, have mothers hidinng their children and dogs running for cover...
Or have your wife alarmingly sit up and say... "what the hell was THAT!

It is a truly visceral and exciting experience but... it is not massage-able to that equilibrium state where one is enveloped by it as with the Maserati.
It's explosive and makes ya want to keep throwing bombs!

Clearly this is not for everyone... but I LOVE IT!

Cheers!

Last edited by Psycho Sid; 04-10-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
I've driven the 991 four times, with and without PSE.
My personal preference is definitely with PSE... by a mile!!
Especially in the cab there will be no need for a audio system.

There are 2 big difference between the Maserati GT-S and the 991.

The 1st one is the tone, the 2nd is range and duration...
The Maser is more "emotional", like being enveloped by a soothing yet highly exciting symphony of sounds which you almost more experience than hear.
It envelopes you and that state of being is easily sustained with throttle control...
It is truly a unique experience, however it's audible only... there is absolutely no connection with the performance of the car itself...
Some say it's like a Ferrari but having owned a F360 my opinion is the F. is more raspy and aggressive...

The 991 on the other hand is more climactic with a sense of immediacy... it's less "emotional" but more thrilling.
It delivers rising and falling crescendos, it growls, pops, screams and barks... an aggressive, animalistic audible translation of what the vehicle is doing... the back end digs in, starts to shimmy and shake while it repels you forward as the G forces slam you back in your seat... and you just know when you take your foot of the accelerator that 991 is going to be growling and snarling in protest to the sudden deceleration with such aggressive dominant intensity that it will scares old ladies, have mothers hide their children and have dogs running for cover...
Or have your wife alarmingly sit up and say... "what the hell was THAT!

It is a truly visceral and exciting experience but... it is not massage-able to that equilibrium state where one is enveloped by it as with the Maserati.
It's explosive and makes ya want to keep throwing bombs!

Clearly this is not for everyone... but I LOVE IT!

Cheers!
It truly was a good analysis, Psycho Sid. awesome I'm glad I added PSE.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:13 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tachyon
It truly was a good analysis, Psycho Sid. awesome I'm glad I added PSE.
Thanks!
One of the harder things to describe for sure.

Cheers!

Old 04-13-2012, 04:12 AM
Poults is infamous around these parts
Can you guys tell me if PASM Sport and PTV are worth the 2k? I like the look of a lowered 911 but don't want to do an aftermarket spring set-up. Just wondering if you guys know if it really makes a difference or if the money is better spent elsewhere.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Poults
Can you guys tell me if PASM Sport and PTV are worth the 2k? I like the look of a lowered 911 but don't want to do an aftermarket spring set-up. Just wondering if you guys know if it really makes a difference or if the money is better spent elsewhere.
After-market suspension is around 10K (changing just the springs is not a good idea) so I'd say 2K is definitely worth it

Cheers!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: my full review on the 3.4 base, MT