my full review on the 3.4 base, MT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 05:30 PM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
my full review on the 3.4 base, MT

Like some of you, I had been lurking the site for months trying to gather every bit of information I could about the 3.4 as well as the manual tranny. There was little information to be had and we had to rely often on second hand info or rumor. Like some of you I also second guessed my choice and wondered if I had made a mistake. I feared the "cramped" footwell, the "inferior" feel of the manual and and the "dull" steering. After having just took delivery on my car and logging 70 miles I can say two words: Fear not.

Here are my impressions: driving off the lot and down the street I immediately noticed somewhat less torque than I had in my 997.2 3.6. While I was on the highway the ride was solid and the car felt substantial but I was dicouraged at the seeming lack of uumphhh.. I then noticed the "sport" button near the shifter. One press of that button and everything changed. It was like two different cars. The exhaust note became an angry growl and the car suddenly thrusted forward with authority. I knew at that moment I made the right choice.

The manual tranny shifts crisply and is very tight. In my opinion it is in no way inferior to that on the 997. the clutch is on par as well. Do not listen to any noise that tells you otherwise.

I got mine with yachting blue sport plus seats. The interior is a great place to be. I have only one minor gripe. It's a bit awkward to adjust the volume on the stereo because of the position of the shifter. Porsche could have done better here.

The steering was excellent. Had I not known it was electric I would not have known the difference. It's that good. I was nervous about all the bs I read about how it is inferior to the 997.... pure nonsense. Pay no attention.

I will post more as I get some more miles under my belt. The car is a winner. Even my salesman admitted he cancelled his order for an S to get the base car/ manual.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:59 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tromero
Like some of you, I had been lurking the site for months trying to gather every bit of information I could about the 3.4 as well as the manual tranny. There was little information to be had and we had to rely often on second hand info or rumor. Like some of you I also second guessed my choice and wondered if I had made a mistake. I feared the "cramped" footwell, the "inferior" feel of the manual and and the "dull" steering. After having just took delivery on my car and logging 70 miles I can say two words: Fear not.

Here are my impressions: driving off the lot and down the street I immediately noticed somewhat less torque than I had in my 997.2 3.6. While I was on the highway the ride was solid and the car felt substantial but I was dicouraged at the seeming lack of uumphhh.. I then noticed the "sport" button near the shifter. One press of that button and everything changed. It was like two different cars. The exhaust note became an angry growl and the car suddenly thrusted forward with authority. I knew at that moment I made the right choice.

The manual tranny shifts crisply and is very tight. In my opinion it is in no way inferior to that on the 997. the clutch is on par as well. Do not listen to any noise that tells you otherwise.

I got mine with yachting blue sport plus seats. The interior is a great place to be. I have only one minor gripe. It's a bit awkward to adjust the volume on the stereo because of the position of the shifter. Porsche could have done better here.

The steering was excellent. Had I not known it was electric I would not have known the difference. It's that good. I was nervous about all the bs I read about how it is inferior to the 997.... pure nonsense. Pay no attention.

I will post more as I get some more miles under my belt. The car is a winner. Even my salesman admitted he cancelled his order for an S to get the base car/ manual.
Congratulations!!! Glad to hear you're enjoying the base car. Thanks for the update.

ChuckJ

Old 04-06-2012, 06:07 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
nice review...thanks.

the sport button is with PASM...correct?

Old 04-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Porsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nicePorsche323 is just really nice
Congratulations! Post pictures when you can.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:07 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Nice review thanks for sharing. I actually would really consider a base - I rarely use the power and features of an S. I miss pushing a car to its limits and on these roads its nearly impossible to get close.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:17 PM
fabro is on a distinguished road
Old 04-06-2012, 07:41 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
i assume sport exhaust since sport button changed exhaust note? if so ignore my PM (regarding standard exhaust on base model)

more pics all around when you have time, what are your thoughts on the sport plus seats?

Old 04-06-2012, 07:56 PM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
I believe the sport button is on every 991 now and it is a separate button from the sport exhaust button. The sport button will automatically turn on the sport exhaust with the more aggressive throttle sensitivity.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:57 PM
dethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud of
sounds great. lets se some pics of the interior.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:14 PM
jordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant future
I'm glad I ordered the base. Now that there are more options I'm wondering if I should cancel the PSE and spend the money on te glass sunroof. OP do you have the standard exhaust? I'd be interested to know about the sound quality.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Congrats.

In another thread, I mentioned that if I got a 991, it would probably be a base with MT and minimal options (KISS principle). Out of curiosity, I priced it and it came to around $86K to $88K sticker, which isn't bad at all. I look forward to test driving one with this configuration.

Enjoy your new car!

Old 04-06-2012, 08:51 PM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
My car does not have PASM or PSE. It is a standard exhaust and it sounds amazing with the sport button on. The sport button is also standard. It adds more torque as well. In my opinion PSE is entirely unnecessary and a waste of money given how good the standard exhaust is.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Oh and sports plus seats make the car. The best 1000 you will ever spend is 250 for sport design wheel and 800 for spurt plus seats.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tromero
My car does not have PASM or PSE. It is a standard exhaust and it sounds amazing with the sport button on. The sport button is also standard. It adds more torque as well. In my opinion PSE is entirely unnecessary and a waste of money given how good the standard exhaust is.
I think the sport button improves throttle response, but doesn't improve peak torque. I don't know if it changes the shape of the torque curve. I usually leave the sport button on in the 997 and CR.

I agree that PSE isn't needed, and I think it's reasonable to leave out PASM too.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:09 PM
tgcrun is on a distinguished road
Do you have sport chrono?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: my full review on the 3.4 base, MT