If only I bought a 997 instead of a 991 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 07:50 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I can't help but read all the posts by current 997 owners pounding the pavement of how glad they are to have either bought or retained their 997 .

So I ask this question to the 991 owners .. is their ANY who wishes he had bought a 997 instead of a 991 ?

Are their any 991 owners who are trading their cars in to buy a 997 ?

Is their any 991 owner who if given the chance to do it all over .. would have bought the 997 instead ?

If there is please express why .
If not .. I understand ya .
Great question!

ChuckJ

Old 04-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Newman is a jewel in the roughNewman is a jewel in the roughNewman is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by AG991
I had a 2010 997.2S and loved it. I have a 991s with PDK & PDCC and I have no trouble at all saying I love it more! Manifold makes some good points, but for me, answering your questions is easy. If I did not like my 991S I could sell it now, in days, for quite a lot. I could buy my old car back for under $80k and put a lot back in my wallet. I could go buy a leftover GTS, very well optioned, for 100k and put money back in my pocket. Or, I could probably trade it for a 997.2 turbo ('09-'12), depending on year, options and miles, even-up.

If I felt that the 991s was a mistake and that the answer was a 997, I have so many options, and no need to suffer for years with my mistake just to avoid admitting it.

For me, and all I am speaking for is me, Manifold and many others beg to differ, the 991 is a serious step forward and I would have difficulty going backwards. And like Gleek48, while other versions are coming, it is difficult to see how I could need, or use, more power. I don't think the low end torque, especially in sport or (from memory of test drives in sport+) is much of a problem and through chips and other add ons, (once the warrantee is up) that can be more cost effectively improve than paying for a 991GTS or turbo.

This is a great car. And what I like best is not found in any earlier 911s to anything like this degree-when you want a GT car that you can drive all day or go away with the wife for a weekend or week, it is great. When you want to throw it around the track, or your feeling the need for performance, you press a button and dial it in. Unlike say a GT3 (based on 997's - who knows what the 991 GT3 will be like), which was all race car all of the time, the 991S is a sleeper or an outright villain when you want. And it does both very, very well.

No offense to those who bought or keep their 997's. They are fine cars. But from my perspective of having owned both, they are clearly come in second - and the gap is fairly big!
I concur with Michael. My last two cars were a 1997 Turbo and a 2010 GT3, in my opinion I wouldn't trade in my 991S for any 997. Very happy on all counts with "just" an S, may want to have a 991 TT one day - wouldn't rule it out.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:39 PM
KevinC is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
This is a silly thread.

Mostly enthusiasts here who love their 991, as they should.

the question should be...how many buyers have purchased a 991 but are going to trade it in for a GT3 or turbo variant when they arrive.

I hear that allot.
I wanted the 991 turbo but was not willing to wait another 12 to 18 months so I ordered a 991S after driving a demo. My dealer is fully aware I want a 991 turbo (probably because I've said it to him about 500 times) and when I took delivery of my 991S he said "we'll get you into a turbo as soon as they are available". I really like the 991S (250 miles on it now) and may keep it longer than I originally planned. I understand there will be some loss on the trade due to the depreciation loss, but I decided to accept that rather than waiting for 12+ months.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:06 AM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
991 v 997.2...

I'm not sold on the feature where ther engine shuts off at a light and only runs AC and radio.......seems lie a heavy wear on starter and the neutered effect of a silent idle at a lightr. Cmon guys, its a PORSCHE!!!

Old 05-02-2012, 06:32 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robfxlr
I'm not sold on the feature where ther engine shuts off at a light and only runs AC and radio.......seems lie a heavy wear on starter and the neutered effect of a silent idle at a lightr. Cmon guys, its a PORSCHE!!!
Are we sure it uses the starter? I checked that when I drove the car and it doesn't sound like it uses the starter when it self starts as I couldn't hear the starter gears engage. Hybrids don't use a standard starter and this one acts like that also. There are no details on this in the tech manual that's out and I think that's intentional.

Also remember when you're in Sport mode it doesn't do that.

ChuckJ

Old 05-02-2012, 06:41 AM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Are we sure it uses the starter? I checked that when I drove the car and it doesn't sound like it uses the starter when it self starts as I couldn't hear the starter gears engage. Hybrids don't use a standard starter and this one acts like that also. There are no details on this in the tech manual that's out and I think that's intentional.

Also remember when you're in Sport mode it doesn't do that.

ChuckJ
I am pretty sure it uses the starter as I read somewhere that they beefed up the starter to handle the additional duties.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Taffin will become famous soon enough
I have a 997 GT3 and have been in a 991. The 991 has many features that make the 997 look decidedly old.

That said right now I am actually trying to source a 997 GT2 with low enough mileage, which will cost me more that 991 S. The real question is, if my wife will allow me to keep the GT3 as well

Old 05-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Newman is a jewel in the roughNewman is a jewel in the roughNewman is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Taffin
I have a 997 GT3 and have been in a 991. The 991 has many features that make the 997 look decidedly old.

That said right now I am actually trying to source a 997 GT2 with low enough mileage, which will cost me more that 991 S. The real question is, if my wife will allow me to keep the GT3 as well
Just curious, if you can locate a 997 GT2, why would you want to keep the GT3?

Old 05-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Taffin will become famous soon enough
GT3 for tracking (spent quite a bit on it for that already)

GT2 for DD and touring

Old 05-11-2012, 12:02 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Just for ease lets assume a 991S MSRP of 130K and invoice is around 114 and trade in value gets 107K . A 997.2 2009 retails for 75 (some are less others are more) . What he gets as discounts or how he shops this (whether it is priavte party or authorized dealership) can vary the numbers greatly .

But roughly --

107 -75 = 32K at worst to have the 997 . If the 997 is deemed (paraphrasing) "the better car" then the 32K is the icing on the cake.
Are you forgetting the approx 10% sales tax that you paid and completely lost?? At least we in California have that honor and privilege!!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:02 PM
hed
hed is a jewel in the roughhed is a jewel in the roughhed is a jewel in the rough
I went from a 997.1 TT to a 991 S. Originally I was going to get the 991 TT, but I just couldn't wait.

As a DD, the 991 is leaps and bounds above the 997 imho. The more I drive it, the more I love it. There is no desire at all to go back to the 997. If I did not love this car more than my old one, I would simply avoid posting anything in threads like these.

This type of question was asked on Rennlist. The very first response was something to the effect of 991 owners would never admit to making a mistake, so why ask the question.

As if 997 owners are anymore prone to being honest about their feelings. The funny part is, most of the 991 owners are or were 997 owners.
Damn traitors...<giggle>

I still like the lines of the 997. With the right wheels and color, it really is a beautiful car. But overall I really do think the 991 is the superior car.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by hed
I went from a 997.1 TT to a 991 S. Originally I was going to get the 991 TT, but I just couldn't wait.

As a DD, the 991 is leaps and bounds above the 997 imho. The more I drive it, the more I love it. There is no desire at all to go back to the 997. If I did not love this car more than my old one, I would simply avoid posting anything in threads like these.

This type of question was asked on Rennlist. The very first response was something to the effect of 991 owners would never admit to making a mistake, so why ask the question.

As if 997 owners are anymore prone to being honest about their feelings. The funny part is, most of the 991 owners are or were 997 owners.
Damn traitors...<giggle>

I still like the lines of the 997. With the right wheels and color, it really is a beautiful car. But overall I really do think the 991 is the superior car.
Glad you are enjoying it!

ChuckJ

Old 05-15-2012, 11:47 AM
dakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud of
I test drove both. The 991s I drove in PDK and the 997 tt I drove in manual. The new PDK and the interior of the 991 is amazing I have to admit. I have the choice to either search for a 2009 997 tt or a 991s. The price is about the same for both, but I feel like I get way more car for the same price. With the 2009 tt I can mod it easily and it will outperform the 991s. When I drove both cars, the 991s just didn't have the raw power and sporty feeling of the 09 tt. If I had to choose between an 09 997s or 991s, I would definitely spend more and get the 991. If you want comfort then get a 991, if you want a sporty car and something you can mod then get a 997tt. If I were not planning to mod then I would stick with the 991s, but for me I'll take a 09 tt with p750 kit New cars will almost always be better, but it just depends on how high of a premium you want to pay. I'm sure the 991 tt will be amazing.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
I could get an 09 C4S Cabby for $35k less then a new 991s non-cabby non-wide rear end with similar options.....and my C4S had 5800 miles on it + extended CPO warranty. If cost is an issue at all, and I realize with some it isn't, then it's hard to go wrong with a late model 997.2.

On a side note, I just don't get a Porsche 911 shutting off at a light? I mean really? It's a 911 not a Prius.....

Old 05-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Katera
On a side note, I just don't get a Porsche 911 shutting off at a light? I mean really? It's a 911 not a Prius.....
I'm with you on that one. I've never checked my gas mileage with either Porsche. If I wanted to save money, these cars weren't the way to do it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: If only I bought a 997 instead of a 991 ?