View Poll Results: Ignoring cost and your current cars, which of the following do you prefer?
997 with manual transmission
10.45%
997 with PDK
5.97%
991 with manual transmission
26.87%
991 with PDK
56.72%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: 997 vs 911, Manual vs PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 02:58 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
I voted 997 w pdk but thats only because I have the only one that I would want. I would not have gotten a "normal" 997 with PDK over a 991s with pdk...

Old 05-01-2012, 06:03 PM
rdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Manifold
If I could have many cars at once, I'd want variety, and I think the GT-R would very likely have a place. But if I limit myself to one or two cars at a time, choosing becomes much more difficult because no car can have it all - there are always tradeoffs.
+1. If I could afford a $100K car for track only use, I would get a GT-R. But as a daily driver, the 991 is a million times better. Much smoother on the road, and the PDK is light years ahead of the 2010 GT-R transmission I drove.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:11 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
I've both 13GTR & 11TT PDK and the PDK transmission is much better. It shifts so much faster and smoother than the GTR. The GTR is rough on 20" and it's not good for DD. I'd pick a 991PDK for DD.

Last edited by JmanE55; 05-01-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:24 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by m5_2010
PDK should only be in a Panamera.... For 991 it should only be Manual gearbox....
I think my father said that.

ChuckJ

Old 05-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JmanE55
I've both 13GTR & 11TT PDK and the PDK transmission is much better. It shift so much faster and smoother than the GTR. The GTR is rough on 20" and it's not good for DD. I'd pick a 991PDK for DD.
Speaking of clunky transmissions, I drove my cousin's Gallardo today and its automanual was terrible. Great blips when downshifting, but very slow and jerky up and down shifts. I believe it's a 2005, so maybe they've improved it since then. But still surprising how inferior it is to PDK, and even the automatic in my C63 is better.

But of course the car was still impressive in other ways. Reminded me of the GT-R, but a lot lower, wider, and lighter. Pretty intense!

Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
If you plan on modifying the car for significantly more power, 997 manual. If you plan on keeping it stock, driving it daily, and don't enjoy shifting, 997 PDK. If you plan on driving it less often, and enjoy the visceral feel of shifting, 991 manual.

Me, I'd go for the 997 manual since I like a lot of power.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:11 PM
jrusovich is on a distinguished road
Smile

I think we have enough votes now to conclude that 991 guys are much more likely to prefer PDK than 997 guys.

That's what I suspected, since 997 guys appear to lean towards simpler cars which interact more with the driver, whereas 991 guys appear to lean towards high-tech performance and comfort. These are generalities and tendencies, so of course there are exceptions.

As I've noted elsewhere, I think 991 guys should also give serious consideration the new GT-R.
This response was on point. I'm a "997 guy" and prefer manual transmission for the closer interaction with the vehicle. I also prefer English to Western in horseback riding if this is further telling.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:51 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Manifold! How are you? I haven't seen your avatar for a dog's age. Are you still out there trying to justify that which needs no justification? Implicit in your thread is a desire to say that 997 drivers like "purer" Porsche experiences as they prefer a manual 997. Why? Why bother? Great cars one and all. You are not going to convince me my manual 997.2 CS Cab was as good as my 991S coupe with PDK or that your driving dynamic is better than mine. And why try? It makes me wonder if you are trying to justify your staying in a 997 - which is a needless exercise. You own a great car! So do I. And mine will always be better than yours - to me!

Welcome back though. Hope you have been well. If you are back can Sid be far behind?

Michael

Old 03-18-2014, 11:32 PM
Kleev is on a distinguished road
I think we have enough votes now to conclude that 991 guys are much more likely to prefer PDK than 997 guys.

That's what I suspected, since 997 guys appear to lean towards simpler cars which interact more with the driver, whereas 991 guys appear to lean towards high-tech performance and comfort. These are generalities and tendencies, so of course there are exceptions.

As I've noted elsewhere, I think 991 guys should also give serious consideration the new GT-R.
Ha! I'm thinking the 997 guys ought to give serious consideration to the new 991. But what do I know, I've only been driving the marque since '67, although I did have a '58 speedster in college. . .

Old 03-18-2014, 11:42 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AG991
Manifold! How are you? I haven't seen your avatar for a dog's age.. ..Welcome back though. Hope you have been well. If you are back can Sid be far behind?

Michael
Hate to tell you, but Manifold last posted in this thread May of 2012. Jrusovich simply replied to this old poll.

Last edited by nicoli; 03-18-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:17 AM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=nicoli;4071428]Hate to tell you, but Manifold last posted in this thread May of 2012. Jrusovich simply replied to this old poll. [/QUOTE

Thanks. Totally missed that. I hope is reading it.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:43 PM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by m5_2010
PDK should only be in a Panamera.... For 991 it should only be Manual gearbox....
That's how I see it and exactly how I'm doing it! The PDK is genius; nothing I've experienced shifts quicker. However, I got the 991 for pure fun and enjoyment...as in when life kicks me in the a$$ I can always find something to make me smile...and for that a 7-speed MT is like driving on crack. The sounds I can create from the engine/exhaust rival the best sex ever!

Old 03-19-2014, 06:28 PM
dyim will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Leslierc
That's how I see it and exactly how I'm doing it! The PDK is genius; nothing I've experienced shifts quicker. However, I got the 991 for pure fun and enjoyment...as in when life kicks me in the a$$ I can always find something to make me smile...and for that a 7-speed MT is like driving on crack. The sounds I can create from the engine/exhaust rival the best sex ever!
Hmmm......

Old 03-19-2014, 07:39 PM
P997S will become famous soon enoughP997S will become famous soon enough
PDK is fabulous. But yes, I miss my 997 MT sometimes. If I can only have 1 car- it's the newest PDK I can afford. If multiple cars- I'd want the newest MT I could afford. Driving the PDK in manual mode with sport or sport + gives you 80% of the MT experience. I HATE that even in manual mode the car downshifts for me when I step on it. And I NEVER use the buttons. I much prefer the shifter- feels more like a MT. Btw, the first 3 years I drove in auto sport 90% of the time. This last year I drove 90% in manual sport or sport plus and will continue to.

And I believe MOST people that say they prefer the 997 over the 991 are the same guys that think Porsches are the best car on the road. They are lying to themselves because they own a 997. The 991 is a superior car and I def like the look better. Yes, looks are subjective but performance and technology are not

I'd love to swap my 997.2 S cab for a 991 s cab or 991 targa 4s but it's just not worth my car plus $60-70k (my msrp with wheels etc was just over $125k)

Old 03-19-2014, 07:51 PM
jrusovich is on a distinguished road
Smile BMW goes MANUAL

It's funny, really. Everyone squabbling about manual vs PDK. The PDK folks seem to feel that they're being characterized as lazy sports car enthusiasts who want to drink their lattes, chat on the phone and let the car do all the work, which is not the case anymore than manual folks wanting to focus on driving -- because if they don't, they'll pop the clutch. Bottom line: Drive what makes you happy. Most of us are not professional sports car drivers and we will never, ever know who's faster because we will never [or very rarely] be in a situation to find out. My 2011 TT manual kicks ***, but I don't drive it like a bat out of hell. I respect it and enjoy the challenge. My brother has a 991 4s PDK and loves the comfort and handling. We both win. To suggest that people who like manual are throwbacks is both insulting and absurd as evidenced by BMW's new manual transmissions on their M4's. They saw Porsche's GT3 manual go the way of the paddle and decided to fill the void for those of us who love to shift. So manual is both in the past and in the future.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Poll: 997 vs 911, Manual vs PDK