Man, I don't think I have ever been this confused over a car before

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Ajax-Prime will become famous soon enough
Man, I don't think I have ever been this confused over a car before

I traded in my E92 M3 a couple of months ago after some warning lights started appearing with an imminent expiration of warranty. Since then I have been driving my bike/dog/yard junk Tacoma 4X4 on a daily basis. It's less than exhilarating. After getting rid of the BMW, I made it a goal to wait a couple of years before getting another sports car, but I don't know if I'm going to make it. My wife is convinced I'm going to crack.

After lunch today, I pointed her car down the SW Freeway, and she knew right away where we were headed. I was hoping that the new Boxster (which would give me a good indication of the new Cayman) would be a little bigger than the old, and it is, but sadly, not big enough for my tastes. Very smart looking, and I like small cars, I just don't like them that small. So much for that idea.

I test drove a couple of 991 C2S's (7MT and a PDK,) and then a leftover GR 997.2 Turbo. Panamera-like it may well be, but the interior of the 991 is a much better place to be than the 997. I initially went in thinking PDK, PDK, but now, not so much. It's very quick and smooth, but now I see what Harris is talking about.

The interior of the 997 isn't as nice, but ohhhh that transmission was so just right, and the POWER. I have never driven a Turbo before, and was afraid this would happen. OMG. So effortless, so corrupting. A particular problem for me is that there in less than a hands-width of clearance between the steering wheel and my thighs; I cannot get the wheel up high enough. Steering feel is of course, better in the 997, but I think I could live with the power steering in the 991.

991 MT? 997 GTS? 997 Turbo? 991 Turbo?

Ugh. I could probably get a good deal on the 997...I am
Ironically, my wife is pushing for the Turbo. So much for the Voice of Reason role she was asked to play.

Rich man's problems, I know. [/whine off]

Old 07-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Shizzle is on a distinguished road
^ I know what you're going through. I traded in my 2011 E92 M3 after it started having electrical issues. I figured it was a good time since the resale value would only plummet from here, and the 991S was finally out. I had a DCT M3, but ended up with a 7MT 991S and haven't looked back. Just pick the 991S and go!

Old 07-04-2012, 07:14 PM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
let me tell you something - i'm an M3 owner myself, and you should not be confused about trading up to a 997 or a 991. seriously. just do it and you won't look back

Old 07-04-2012, 07:31 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Turbo. If you don't, you'll always wish you had.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Ajax-Prime will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by hawc
Turbo. If you don't, you'll always wish you had.
and THAT is what my wife is saying.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:14 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Answer this question quickly without over thinking it:

What's the car you want to walk out to in your driveway each morning... that will put a smile on your face?

That's your answer.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:19 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Order a brand new 2013 458 or wait for the 991 turbo. Both will be well worth the wait.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Test drives in the turbo are addicting and stick in your mind, however think about how you will use the car.

If you have open roads and the ability to go over the 100 mark on every drive, then the turbo is a great choice. Most buy them and enjoy them from stoplight to 60 and back. Some spend a lot on fun tax, and some get rid of them because they have trouble controlling themselves.

Porsche's are all great and one for every reason.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:22 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Honestly in your shoes I would go with a 991MT customized. Nothing gives you the flexibility Porsche does to get your car the way you want it. I use to be a huge ///M fan but with their new direction I can say safely say that for an exciting DD nothing is going to match a 911.

The Turbo/GTS dilemma is big but I just think that with the new shape out I would find it hard to go back unless I had a really good reason. Keep in mind that I own a 997.2 Targa so something different is always welcomed.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:45 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
My dealer used to have a deal where they let you drive one of their used 997s (actually you bought it and they bought it back for the same price) but they stopped that because they found the depreciation was too great on the 997. I would either get a used 991 and order the turbo as soon as you can place the order. Then you can fully evaluate the 991's power and determine if you really need the turbo. It's hard to fully evaluate a car on a short test drive, you might as well make it a long one.

ChuckJ

Old 07-05-2012, 02:47 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
T for TURBO is the way to go. I would even go for the Metzer engine instead of the later 997.2 version. But.. that is just me ..

Old 07-05-2012, 04:50 PM
parkerfe is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by aamersa
Order a brand new 2013 458 or wait for the 991 turbo. Both will be well worth the wait.
As the owner of 6 Ferraris, trust me, the 991 is the far superior car for anything other than a toy Sunday morning driver

Old 07-05-2012, 04:56 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by parkerfe
As the owner of 6 Ferraris, trust me, the 991 is the far superior car for anything other than a toy Sunday morning driver
Now there's an endorsement!

ChuckJ

Old 07-05-2012, 05:38 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
At the end of the day you're dealing with a bunch of very nice cars.

IMO, you should simply choose the one that appeals to you most when looking at everything, especially the driving experience. I believe it's too easy to get caught up in write ups and opinions. For this much cash I simply want to feel awesome every time I take it for a ride.

For me that thrill happens when I push the pedal to the floor. Sure the stereo sounds nice and the interior full leather looks great but you can get that in a host of luxury vehicles. IMO...very few vehicles give you that thrill/sensation that a Porsche turbo provides.

Good luck, you'll enjoy any vehicle you choose.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by PSTT07
At the end of the day you're dealing with a bunch of very nice cars.

IMO, you should simply choose the one that appeals to you most when looking at everything, especially the driving experience. I believe it's too easy to get caught up in write ups and opinions. For this much cash I simply want to feel awesome every time I take it for a ride.

For me that thrill happens when I push the pedal to the floor. Sure the stereo sounds nice and the interior full leather looks great but you can get that in a host of luxury vehicles. IMO...very few vehicles give you that thrill/sensation that a Porsche turbo provides.

Good luck, you'll enjoy any vehicle you choose.
Yep, get a 991 now and you'll really know what to order on your 991 Turbo.

ChuckJ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Man, I don't think I have ever been this confused over a car before