New 6spo member... 991S ordered

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DBYT
Congratulations on your order! I am in the same boat as you. My order just went in and I just got told today by the dealer that they have received a completion date of 13 Sept from the factory, so I likely won't see my car until mid Oct at the earliest.
Congratulations on yours too! Yup, sometime September build... i think mine is late Sept. So probably late October delivery. Ah well they do say that the wait is part of the experience!

Originally Posted by flyanddive
The PDCC is a waste unless you are doing time trials on the track. If the car is strictly for enjoyment, I would not spend the money. Save the money on the PDCC and upgrade to the Burmester sound package, it will be well worth it.
Re the PDCC issue, I've made some comments further down this post which apply. As far as the sound system... I'm not an audiophile when I'm in my P car. The option would be to just save the money instead. While I think the Burmeister system is terrific, it's just no comparison to the sound coming out of the PSE!

Originally Posted by surathdp
Haku,
The article in current Excellence magazine. Just read it.
This may turn into a healthy "to PDCC or Not" debate which I think may generate some useful info.

Here's a summary of PDCC from the horse's mouth:
- PDCC on 911 Carrera S holds the road even better and delivers even sportier performance
- you can steer through corners faster and in a more relaxed manner
- anticipates and reduces lateral body movement during cornering manoeuvres
- minimises the lateral instability of the vehicle on uneven ground
- improved dynamic performance
- increased ride comfort at all speeds

Of course one takes a lot of marketing bs with a pinch of salt but the fundamental issues for me are that I want a performance experience without being shunted around as much as I would be in my previous GT3. The fact is that less roll increases stability. I'm sure that the system will take some getting used to but the overall experience will also be enhanced by the PDCC. Someone on another forum summed it up quite nicely..."with PDCC you can have the creature comforts of a road car, with the handling of a GT3 = best of all worlds".

Although my order is now locked, I will out of interest do some more research on the PDCC issue and add it to this or another thread. All comments are of course welcome.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:38 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Congrats on the order. An excellent choice of specs. I would not do anything different. You will love this car.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:35 PM
ALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant futureALPINE6SPD has a brilliant future
Sounds like a great and well thought out build for your needs.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Rocket_boy has a spectacular aura aboutRocket_boy has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by flyanddive
The PDCC is a waste unless you are doing time trials on the track. If the car is strictly for enjoyment, I would not spend the money. Save the money on the PDCC and upgrade to the Burmester sound package, it will be well worth it.
Absolutely IMO,....most reviews also agree, PDCC has very marginal effects for a street driven 991. Track is another issue, but even then the verdict may still be out.

I went with Burmester and is one of the things I'm most looking forward to.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Alpine, aamersa thanks for your comments....appreciated.

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Absolutely IMO,....most reviews also agree, PDCC has very marginal effects for a street driven 991. Track is another issue, but even then the verdict may still be out.

I went with Burmester and is one of the things I'm most looking forward to.
I agree that the verdict may still be out but am not too sure about you stating that "most reviews also agree". I've yet to come across a review that really drills down and focuses on PDCC. I think the system is too new for them to truly evaluate it. I remain open to opinions.

I did come across this post from a 6speeder:

Originally Posted by zzzspeed
Having driven these cars at Barber Motor Sports Track, I learned that the PDCC prevents any body roll only up to .85g. Then it allows a small amount of roll. Porsche engineers are a lot smarter then we are guys. And all the concerns that have been brought up are already dealt with by them. In all my limited track experience the only time you dont want to inhibit body roll at all is in the wet or snow, otherwise in the dry it helps performance either with novice or experts.
Anyone who bad mouths PDCC in a 911, you better not ever drive one with it or you might really regret it.
Otherwise the new 991 is a great machine with or without all these great goodies they offer.

I also came across this video which I found interesting:

Old 07-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Haku
Alpine, aamersa thanks for your comments....appreciated.

I agree that the verdict may still be out but am not too sure about you stating that "most reviews also agree". I've yet to come across a review that really drills down and focuses on PDCC. I think the system is too new for them to truly evaluate it. I remain open to opinions.

I did come across this post from a 6speeder:

I also came across this video which I found interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcHGx...e_gdata_player

Funny how they show a 997 vs. a 991,.....now someone really needs to show me a 991 with and without PDCC. I'm betting it is a lot closer comparison.

My biggest problem with PDCC is the present engineering behind it. It has an hydraulic pump, many fluid lines and hoses, control unit & actuators at front wheels. Lots of complexity and weight here for not that much street benefit IMO. I just don't think it has come full circle enough for me to spend $3k ~ $4k on it. Kinda like the first existence of PASM and PDK, a little rough around the edges. When the execution of the technology becomes a little more mature (like electrical/magnetic) I'll take another look at it, until then I'll pass.

For what it's worth, I test drove 991s with and without it on the street for about 20 minutes each and could hardly tell any difference,....and the difference I did notice was a slightly softer ride (about 5~10%) on the PDCC car, nothing as far as body lean. To me the non-PDCC version is so good spending the $$$ on a slightly softer ride was not going to happen.

Now for Burmester,.....that brought a huge grin within 2 minutes of driving

Last edited by Rocket_boy; 07-10-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:38 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
My money is on PDCC for the track and non-PDCC for the street. And if you think you can beat PDCC on the track, congratulations, you must be good!!

ChuckJ

Old 07-10-2012, 06:23 PM
braindoc1 has a spectacular aura aboutbraindoc1 has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up To PDCC, or not to PDCC

I am new to the forum as well, and I am awaiting delivery of my first porsche probably by the end of July. I've ordered a fairly well appointed 991 S Cab with PDCC and am intrigued by all the comments for and against. I read a lot of press in trying to make my decision to opt for it and ultimatley decided to try to select all options that improve performance, regardless on how much I would track the car. Obviously by ordering the cab, I am not planning on a lot of serious track time.

Last month I had the distinct pleasure to attend the Porsche sport driving school and tracked both the 991s and the new boxsters. I queried many of the instructors, all former race car drivers, and they universally said the PDCC was the bomb. I also recognize it is an option more important on the track than as a DD.

As a side note, the Boxster was absolutely amazing on the track...but it wasn't a 911.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by braindoc1
I am new to the forum as well, and I am awaiting delivery of my first porsche probably by the end of July. I've ordered a fairly well appointed 991 S Cab with PDCC and am intrigued by all the comments for and against. I read a lot of press in trying to make my decision to opt for it and ultimatley decided to try to select all options that improve performance, regardless on how much I would track the car. Obviously by ordering the cab, I am not planning on a lot of serious track time.

Last month I had the distinct pleasure to attend the Porsche sport driving school and tracked both the 991s and the new boxsters. I queried many of the instructors, all former race car drivers, and they universally said the PDCC was the bomb. I also recognize it is an option more important on the track than as a DD.

As a side note, the Boxster was absolutely amazing on the track...but it wasn't a 911.
BD, thank you for your reply. Hello from one newb to another. I'm intrigued about the comments from the instructors. Could you please elaborate?

Old 07-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Nothing that has not already been posted and mostly boils down to what you re-posted from zzspeed. The less roll, the greater control of fore/aft weight transfers in acceleration/braking, less understeer/oversteer, and faster cornering. In my mind, if that is coupled with PVT, then my wife will not complain as much if I blow through the turns!

Old 07-10-2012, 06:54 PM

I don't think anyone here is really questioning that PDCC could allow greater performance at the track,....I believe it does. I think the question here is if it is worth the asking price for the small if any value it has on the street. For $3.2K most leave it on the table. Maybe once it works on all four corners with better execution I'd be all in.

I'd also be aware of what was said at a Porsche sponsored driving event. Porsche is as much a marketing machine today as anything else.
This is where I'd much rather trust myself and some better independent reviews compared to anything company sponsored.

The best thing to do is get out and drive both versions, then make the choice!

Old 07-10-2012, 06:54 PM
KevinC is on a distinguished road
Welcome and congrats on your order. With respect to options, I have PSE on my 991 and highly, highly recommend it. I didn't order PDCC, but if I were ordering my car today I would get it if I planned on tracking the car extensively. I have Bose and it is disappointing. If you can listen to the Burmester in a demo I suggest you do that and then decide if you want to add it.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:04 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Nothing that has not already been posted and mostly boils down to what you re-posted from zzspeed. The less roll, the greater control of fore/aft weight transfers in acceleration/braking, less understeer/oversteer, and faster cornering. In my mind, if that is coupled with PVT, then my wife will not complain as much if I blow through the turns!
PDCC is obviously more technically capable and essential on the track so if you want to win on the track you should get it. That said, if you plan to take the car over .9G on the highway, you probably should also get it. But if you plan to keep your highway limit below that and you want the 911 "feel" you probably should omit that option as well as Power steering Plus.

ChuckJ

Old 07-10-2012, 07:09 PM
I'm very familiar with all the marketing strategies employed, and certainly the best ploy is to send a potential porsche buyer to Barber motorsports park and put him behind the wheel of the new Boxster or 991. if you don't come away drinking the kool-aid, then you didn't push the car enough. that being said, all these options are all window dressing on what appears to be a very exceptional car. Even if you don't track the car, if you drive through the mountains at all, take the tail of the dragon for example, then PDCC may be awesome. I truly believe it is not NECESSARY, none of the cars I drove at the track had it, but I bet its a lot of fun. If finances are a big concern, and its not being tracked, then don't opt for it. I never had the luxury of being able to drive them side by side before placing my order, so i had to rely on the press, accepting all biases.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm very familiar with all the marketing strategies employed, and certainly the best ploy is to send a potential porsche buyer to Barber motorsports park and put him behind the wheel of the new Boxster or 991. if you don't come away drinking the kool-aid, then you didn't push the car enough. that being said, all these options are all window dressing on what appears to be a very exceptional car. Even if you don't track the car, if you drive through the mountains at all, take the tail of the dragon for example, then PDCC may be awesome. I truly believe it is not NECESSARY, none of the cars I drove at the track had it, but I bet its a lot of fun. If finances are a big concern, and its not being tracked, then don't opt for it. I never had the luxury of being able to drive them side by side before placing my order, so i had to rely on the press, accepting all biases.
I live in a rural and hilly area and almost all or my P car driving is on windy roads and often includes the roads in and around the Smokies including the Cherohala and the Blue Ridge Parkway etc. I too feel that PDCC may just be the ticket and plaster a huge grin on my face. I know it's pricey but when your think about it, 3% of the car' value isn't a huge amount for what I expect it to deliver. I also think that it's up to the overall spec of the car that will ultimately determine performance and fun factor. A combination of pasm, pdcc, sport chrono (mainly the dynamic engine mounts), should do the job. The PSE is orchestral! As has been mentioned, any 991 is going to be fun and I for one am glad Porsche offer the options they do no matter how effective they are for drivers or profit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New 6spo member... 991S ordered