Scratches on the PCM-screen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 03:37 AM
wim.lon will become famous soon enough
Scratches on the PCM-screen

Does anyone know how to remove scratches on the PCM-screen of the 991?

Old 08-11-2012, 06:18 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I don't, but thinking that might be difficult to do would you care to share how you got the scratches so others can be careful not to duplicate it?

ChuckJ

Old 08-11-2012, 06:36 AM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I don't, but thinking that might be difficult to do would you care to share how you got the scratches so others can be careful not to duplicate it?

ChuckJ
I am not sure. I discovered them after cleaning up the interior of the car (including removing fingermarks on the screen with a microfiber cloth). Maybe the screen is very delicate?

I wonder if there any means of polishing the surface of the screen. However, as the scratches are quite superficial and do not affect the function of the touch screen, I certainly do not want to cause further damage by using an inappropriate solvent.

Maybe someone has observed the same problem and knows a good solution?

Old 08-11-2012, 06:39 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Maybe you could just get Porsche to replace it under warranty.

ChuckJ

Old 08-11-2012, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Maybe you could just get Porsche to replace it under warranty.

ChuckJ
Do you think this is a real option? I got the car in March and realised the scratches only this week (after about 3500 miles).

Old 08-11-2012, 06:49 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
try some plastic polish like meguire?

Old 08-11-2012, 06:49 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
It's usually pretty tough to scratch the screen on PCM. Maybe it's smudges. Have you tried cleaning with mf towel and glass cleaner? Can you take a picture?

Trending Topics

Old 08-11-2012, 06:50 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by djantlive
try some plastic polish like meguire?
NOOOOO

Cannot polish that screen.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:54 AM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
It's usually pretty tough to scratch the screen on PCM. Maybe it's smudges. Have you tried cleaning with mf towel and glass cleaner? Can you take a picture?
Unfortunately it's not a smudge. You can feel it with your fingertips that it is a scratch. A glass cleaner did not remove it.

I can try to take a picture, but it might be difficult to reproduce on a foto.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:56 AM
MI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to behold
do a google search for "repairing scratches on laptop screen", I did and came up with this (amongst many that I didn't look at) :

Old 08-11-2012, 06:56 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by wim.lon
Unfortunately it's not a smudge. You can feel it with your fingertips that it is a scratch. A glass cleaner did not remove it.

I can try to take a picture, but it might be difficult to reproduce on a foto.
Gotcha...is screen matte or glossy? If matte, then actual screen, and there's nothing you can do about it. If glossy, then it's the protective cover from shipping, and you can just remove it.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by MI55LE
do a google search for "repairing scratches on laptop screen", I did and came up with this (amongst many that I didn't look at) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD0QvQyhGSA

Thank you. I heard about the tooth paste method, but I do not dare the touch this screen with this unless someone could confirm from personal experience that it does not cause further damage. I think these touch screens have a special coating which makes them sensitive to chemical agents.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Gotcha...is screen matte or glossy? If matte, then actual screen, and there's nothing you can do about it. If glossy, then it's the protective cover from shipping, and you can just remove it.
Matte, no protective cover...

Old 05-18-2019, 12:04 PM
kjohaima is an unknown quantity at this point
@wim.lon Did you find a solution for your PCM screen scratches? I am having a similar problem with my 991. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2019, 11:48 PM
thesaintusa is an unknown quantity at this point
FWIW I picked up a screen protector from Salter Auto for the PCM. Like the tempered glass screen protectors for a cell phone.

If it scratches, can be replaced.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Scratches on the PCM-screen