iPhone 5 holder DIY instruction: it doesn't get easier or less expensive than this

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 03:11 PM
MOM3NTM is a jewel in the roughMOM3NTM is a jewel in the roughMOM3NTM is a jewel in the rough
iPhone 5 holder DIY instruction: it doesn't get easier or less expensive than this

OK. So was looking for a place for my iphone in the car. No great options. If you have the smokers delete tray and your phone is not in a case this will work well and costs less than $1. This may also work with iphone 4 or other phones but you would have to verify for yourself.

Materials need:
two tabs of 3M self adhering heavy duty velcro (the kind that Valentine 1 includes with the radar detector). You can likely find elsewhere but I believe you can order this from Val 1 website for around a buck.

Basically the smokers delete cup holder is wide enough for iphone 5 but phone will not stay in place as it will flop out of place. Placing these two tabs of velcro creates a slot that is very secure. If placed properly phone will not move at all and stays in place unless you roll the car. Also, it looks clean and is not visible unless you look closely.

Install: Hold phone against back of the space, place tabs high up and angled to create a slot for phone to slide into. The higher the tabs the more secure but don't mount too high as then they become visible.

Other materials may work BUT I like this 3m product as it does not move even when cabin temps get very hot and it is rigid creating a secure slot. Regular velcro will NOT work. Trial with other materials is encouraged and please feel free to add onto post other options that do the trick.

Below are picts. Pictures are dark as it's a rainy day here in Florida (and I don't take the best pictures). I appreciate a simple effective solution to a problem and would welcome any feedback on this solution.

Attached Images    
Old 10-14-2012, 03:54 PM
CO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud of
That looks like a great idea. I was going to get the smokers package just to have another power socket but was wondering what I'd do with my iPhone. This might be a better option. Does it get in the way of your arm as you shift or adjust any console controls?

Old 10-14-2012, 04:12 PM
MOM3NTM is a jewel in the roughMOM3NTM is a jewel in the roughMOM3NTM is a jewel in the rough
I have PDK so it works great for me. Would likely not work great with manual transmission. You can get to all the buttons just fine.