991 Cabriolet SmartTop self-install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 08:51 AM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Did you purchase your unit directly from Mods4Cars or from one of the internet resellers? If from internet reseller, any suggestion who to use?

Old 03-16-2013, 09:30 AM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
I purchased mine directly from Mods4Cars the day it was released, as the resellers had no inventory of the new 991 module yet. I had been waiting for this

I'm sure either way is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using 6SpeedOnline

Old 03-16-2013, 01:25 PM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks, I just ordered mine from MOTIVEMODS in Las Vegas. They sell them for $379 vs $399 most other places. I look forward to this MOD.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:30 AM
oldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond repute
thanks nicoli for a great thread! windboat, appreciate the tip on motivemods. mine is on order too! rep points due...

nicoli, have you updated recently? the website says that the extended program mode allows for continuous open/close while entering/exiting the vehicle. just curious if it solves your gripe?

Old 03-21-2013, 12:42 AM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Whoops! Haven't updated, need to! Thanks back

Edit: I can turn off car and open door / exit while top is closing without interrupting it (love that) but, after commanding a remote-open, cannot open my door without interrupting the open process.

Luckily the Porsche key fob has a good transmit range and I just walk to the car while it opens.

Sent from my iPhone using 6SpeedOnline

Last edited by nicoli; 03-23-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:15 AM
Originally Posted by oldman40
thanks nicoli for a great thread! windboat, appreciate the tip on motivemods. mine is on order too! rep points due...

nicoli, have you updated recently? the website says that the extended program mode allows for continuous open/close while entering/exiting the vehicle. just curious if it solves your gripe?
Mine came yesterday, my DIY project for Saturday. Thanks back as well.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by windboat
Mine came yesterday, my DIY project for Saturday. Thanks back as well.
That was a super easy install, custom programing is also extremely easy from the steering column.

Last edited by windboat; 03-23-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:45 PM
oldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond repute
windboat, does your device let you enter or exit the car while it opens/ closes?

Old 03-23-2013, 05:55 PM
windboat, does your device let you enter or exit the car while it opens/ closes?
I haven't try it yet, but the manual claims you can. I will check it out tomorrow

Old 03-23-2013, 07:00 PM
Mine will allow entrance to car while opening, if triggered by door handle lock-lock-unlock.

Using remote Porsche keyfob unlock x3, I need to let it finish before opening the door. Otherwise it stops and must continue after car electrical is activated (car is on). Not a big problem but wish mine would open continuously both ways. Closing is continuous regardless for me(yay

Congrats on install

(via 6SpeedOnline iOS)

Old 03-24-2013, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by nicoli
Mine will allow entrance to car while opening, if triggered by door handle lock-lock-unlock.

Using remote Porsche keyfob unlock x3, I need to let it finish before opening the door. Otherwise it stops and must continue after car electrical is activated (car is on). Not a big problem but wish mine would open continuously both ways. Closing is continuous regardless for me(yay

Congrats on install

(via 6SpeedOnline iOS)
nicoli, I wonder if that happens because of the keyless entry system? from my understanding, the keyremote opening is initiated with 3 'unlock' button clicks. then can be stopped midstream by hitting the unlock button on the keyfob again. wouldn't pulling on the door handle while the top opens be the equivalent of unlocking the door in your keyless entry system, hence why it stops? the point being, does your problem not happen in a non keyless entry 991?

Old 03-24-2013, 06:17 PM
wouldn't pulling on the door handle while the top opens be the equivalent of unlocking the door in your keyless entry system, hence why it stops?
Good point!! :-)

Old 03-30-2013, 05:58 PM
did my install yesterday, thanks to nicoli and all who contributed to this thread, you made it an easy diy!

note that with keyless entry, opening the top with the key fob ( as nicoli has reported) is interrupted when you pull on the door handle to get in.

I do not have keyless entry, so on my car, the same sequence does not stop the top from opening completely, which is great. I thought it would be useful for those with or without keyless to be aware. either way, I find this mod to be highly convenient!

also mods4cars is listing a firmware update on its website, ver 1.10. it allows for programming in cars with multifunction steering wheel and adds a few new features, most interestingly including radio mute at ignition. unfortunately, the actual update isn't available on their download list yet, so it must be coming soon....

Old 03-30-2013, 06:35 PM
did my install yesterday, thanks to nicoli and all who contributed to this thread, you made it an easy diy!

note that with keyless entry, opening the top with the key fob ( as nicoli has reported) is interrupted when you pull on the door handle to get in.

I do not have keyless entry, so on my car, the same sequence does not stop the top from opening completely, which is great. I thought it would be useful for those with or without keyless to be aware. either way, I find this mod to be highly convenient!

also mods4cars is listing a firmware update on its website, ver 1.10. it allows for programming in cars with multifunction steering wheel and adds a few new features, most interestingly including radio mute at ignition. unfortunately, the actual update isn't available on their download list yet, so it must be coming soon....
Glad install went well, this week I was at local ATL PCAR dealer and showed my service rep the operation of the SMARTTOP, He gathered 5-6 service folks to demo it to them, they loved it.

Sent from my iPad using 6SpeedOnline

Old 03-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Very interesting. I want that radio mute at ignition!! Thanks and rock on guys

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 Cabriolet SmartTop self-install