991 Cabriolet SmartTop self-install

Old 05-01-2013, 11:00 PM
oldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond reputeoldman40 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nicoli
Very interesting. I want that radio mute at ignition!! Thanks and rock on guys
nicoli, fyi the version 1.10 for the 991 smart top is online at the mods4cars website. I updated mine and the "radio mute at ignition" works great! a small, but nice mod to add on, don't you think? for others still considering it, the new version also works with the mf steering wheel now ( previously the stalk was the only other way to switch settings besides hooking up your laptop )

Old 05-02-2013, 02:25 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Just updated - thank you so much! Loving it

(via 6SpeedOnline iOS)

Old 10-26-2013, 04:17 PM
jnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to all
Just installed mine. Went fine, although the one thing the directions don't point out is that sitting ****eyed on the center hump of the back seat to get in position to work on the module is somewhat uncomfortable when you are 6'3" tall.

I left the USB tail just "loose" under the carpet and wound through the electronics (but well away from the rollover protection bars.) I can get at it just removing the 2 screws.

One tip: the fit-together plugs with the swinging locking mechanism work best if you start with the lock in the fully open position, then set the two plugs together, then swing closed the lock.

I used my iPad with multiple browser tabs open: This thread, the Mods4Cars install thread, the Mods4Cars programming thread. I also used the iPhone camera as Nicoli described. I don't know how you'd ever get the plugs set without that.

Thanks Nicoli for your easy-to-follow thread.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:07 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
Probably the wrong time of year but anyone interested putting together a group buy for the 991 SmarTop?

Old 10-27-2013, 02:50 AM
The Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura about
Subscribed.........for future reference.

Cheers,

Old 04-25-2014, 08:39 PM
AlecS has a spectacular aura aboutAlecS has a spectacular aura about
I just installed mine. Definitely a tricky little project. It's tricky because your working blind. The iPhone trick is handy but this is still a little fiddly. Totally worth it though. Great cab mod.

Alec

Old 05-16-2014, 11:36 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
Just installed this tonight. Simple and fast - thanks for the write up.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:54 AM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Did my new 991 last night in about 15-20 minutes. Having installed a SMARTTOP in the past on my 2011 CAB, was a big help as well. I left USB connected and fed it up and coiled it with a tie under the panel covering the pop-up roll bar.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:41 AM
JamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of light
If you are trying to sync the module to a Mac running Mavericks you are going to have trouble getting the OS to recognize the module. The online tech support section at Mods4cars will tell you this and offer a couple solutions neither of which worked for me. I contacted tech support directly and they gave me another solution that did not work either. Finally after 3 emails and a few hours of frustration they figured out that they recently solved the problem via an app you download form the Apple app store for free. With this app it was a very easy couple minute job to set up your settings. So kudos to them for making it easy but it sure would of been nice if they would of just updated the tech section of their website with this info and informed all of the tech support people of this solution.

Here is the info they sent me to solve this problem.

OK, go to the Mac App store and install "m4cconnect" (free app).
Connect the module to your Mac via the USB cord.
Wait a little bit, then start (double click) the m4cconnect app and in that app itself click the "connect" button.

By the way the all the original solutions involved disabling drivers in the terminal software. The solution above is quite a bit more elegant.

Last edited by JamesKen; 06-18-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:49 AM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JamesKen
If you are trying to sync the module to a Mac running Mavericks you are going to have trouble getting the OS to recognize the module. The online tech support section at Mods4cars will tell you this and offer a couple solutions neither of which worked for me. I contacted tech support directly and they gave me another solution that did not work either. Finally after 3 emails and a few hours of frustration they figured out that they recently solved the problem via an app you download form the Apple app store for free. With this app it was a very easy couple minute job to set up your settings. So kudos to them for making it easy but it sure would of been nice if they would of just updated the tech section of their website with this info and informed all of the tech support people of this solution.

Here is the info they sent me to solve this problem.

OK, go to the Mac App store and install "m4cconnect" (free app).
Connect the module to your Mac via the USB cord.
Wait a little bit, then start (double click) the m4cconnect app and in that app itself click the "connect" button.

By the way the all the original solutions involved disabling drivers in the terminal software. The solution above is quite a bit more elegant.
Hi James, sorry for your troubles. However in post #1 of this thread, I wrote:

"First thing to do is load up the M4Connect app on your mac or pc - they have both versions."

Enjoy the SmartTop!

Old 06-18-2014, 09:18 AM
JamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of lightJamesKen is a glorious beacon of light
Yea, you clearly did. I was using the online instructions and just glancing at yours. I should of looked at yours more closely.

Many thanks for the help. I don't know if I would of ordered it or done the work myself if it were not for this thread. Installing the mechanical parts was very easy and went pretty smoothly. One of the few times I wish I was really short with fat squishy knees. I only put the top up and down ounce but I think this is the best spent money on my car so far. Pretty cheap for what you get.

Last edited by JamesKen; 06-18-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:08 PM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Yea, you clearly did. I was using the online instructions and just glancing at yours. I should of looked at yours more closely. Many thanks for the help. I don't know if I would of ordered it or done the work myself if it were not for this thread. Installing the mechanical parts was very easy and went pretty smoothly. One of the few times I wish I was really short with fat squishy knees. I only put the top up and down ounce but I think this is the best spent money on my car so far. Pretty cheap for what you get.
Did you leave the USB cable connected? I did and brought the cable up to the area of the pop up roll bars and plastic tied it underneath the panel surrounding the roll bars.

Also remember not to have your auto key in the car or in your pocket when attempting to program from steering colum.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:19 PM
I did leave the USB connected. I was not as clever as you but I can get to it by just lifting up up the middle section of carpet. Some day I might look at moving to your location.

Why would I need to leave the car key out of the car when programming from the steering column? I am kind of curious on this one.

By the way after my last post I drove the car for quite a bit and am really, really glad I got the smart top. The one touch for the top and wind screen are worth the price. Then you have the remote function plus I get to program it not to put the windows up after the top goes up. I have always kind of had a pet peeve about putting the window up on a convertible.

By the way your choice in car, color, cab and wheels is solid.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:41 PM
I did leave the USB connected. I was not as clever as you but I can get to it by just lifting up up the middle section of carpet. Some day I might look at moving to your location. Why would I need to leave the car key out of the car when programming from the steering column? I am kind of curious on this one. By the way after my last post I drove the car for quite a bit and am really, really glad I got the smart top. The one touch for the top and wind screen are worth the price. Then you have the remote function plus I get to program it not to put the windows up after the top goes up. I have always kind of had a pet peeve about putting the window up on a convertible. By the way your choice in car, color, cab and wheels is solid.
With the dummy key ignition, the car thinks you have the real key in ignition when it is anywhere inside the car. To program the SMARTTOP from the steering column key must be out of ignition for the blinkers to function in programming SMARTTOP. So you must either remove the dummy key or not have real key anywhere inside car. I found this out through trial and error. Only not having a key in ignition is define in SMARTTOP manual. You can see this, if you just have key in ignition and pull on column stick turn signals will not light up. Take out of ignition and pull stick and signal will light up for programming. Hope this helps...

Old 06-19-2014, 08:22 AM
Thanks I don't have keyless entry and drive but thought that might be it.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 Cabriolet SmartTop self-install