Aerokit ground clearance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Hotmetal is just really niceHotmetal is just really niceHotmetal is just really niceHotmetal is just really niceHotmetal is just really nice
Aerokit ground clearance

Hi all,

I'm new in the world of Porsche and I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Carrera S 2013 with the aerokit cup option, I really like the look. But, I am worried about the ground clearance because when I searched on the forum, some said 2 inches and other 6 inches of clearance .

I'm looking to trade my Corvette ZR1 which has a 5 inches of ground clearance and I am ok with it but I wont like to go lower. Is there someone who knows exactly what is the ground clearance of the 911 S with the aerokit and the PASM options?

Thanks to help a Porsche newbie,

Old 12-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Detroit Shooter is on a distinguished road
I am not sure of the clearance but I am curious about what you are looking to get out of the S that you are not getting from the ZR1.

I am very curious to see what the new Vett is.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Hotmetal is just really niceHotmetal is just really niceHotmetal is just really niceHotmetal is just really niceHotmetal is just really nice
Originally Posted by Detroit Shooter
I am not sure of the clearance but I am curious about what you are looking to get out of the S that you are not getting from the ZR1.

I am very curious to see what the new Vett is.
ZR1 has monstrous and brutal power, ... but:
  • I never go to the track. So, I never use its full power. Also, I am not the kind of guy who drives at 205mph on the highway. Not as nimble, agile as S. My ''power engine'' trip is over now.
  • S is more a day to day car.
  • In the traffic, I prefer to have PDK instead of shifter.
  • The interior is crap compare to the S. Lot of plastics, cheap leather, etc...
  • Seats have no support. S is MUCH more comfortable.
  • And ... honestly, I prefer the look of the S, more refined.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:39 AM
opnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond reputeopnielsen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hotmetal
Hi all,

I'm new in the world of Porsche and I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Carrera S 2013 with the aerokit cup option, I really like the look. But, I am worried about the ground clearance because when I searched on the forum, some said 2 inches and other 6 inches of clearance .

I'm looking to trade my Corvette ZR1 which has a 5 inches of ground clearance and I am ok with it but I wont like to go lower. Is there someone who knows exactly what is the ground clearance of the 911 S with the aerokit and the PASM options?

Thanks to help a Porsche newbie,

I just measured front to be 5.3/4in ground clearance. My 991 has SPASM and front sport apron.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:40 AM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
I just went into the garage and measured for you: 6.5 inches (It may be lower if you went for the SPASM option with the moveable spoiler).

I traded a ZO6 in for this car. The ZO6 always scraped slightly when leaving the driveway and this car does not. I also have no problems with the speed-bumps at my daughter's housing complex.

I loved the ZO6, as it was reminiscent to the muscle-cars I'd started out with:

1965 GTO Tri-powered 389, and then a 421H.O.

1968 Baldwin-Motion L88 Camaro

1969 Chevelle 396/375 and then 427

1970 Chevelle LS6

However, IMO, the ZO6 wasn't anywhere near the overall performance or fit and finish of my new Carrera S.

The 991 is the first car that I've ever owned that actually gets me out of bed early so I can enjoy quiet drives on the Bear Mountain twisties.

And quarter mile (dragstrip) results are no longer my main guage for cars; I recently sold my Whippled 2003 Mustang Cobra that ran mid-tens. Great car at the track with racing slicks, but useless on the road, except for an occasional blast from a 50 MPH roll.

The ZO6 was also useless on the street in first and second gear without drag radials. And it was always planning to kill you, although that was part of the fun I guess.

The main reason I got rid of the car was because they are ticking time bombs. They have defective valve geometry which is causing swallowed valves and catastrophic engine loss. They are also having issues with soft camshafts (sub vendor's fault).

GM is not owning up to the problems and are hoping to let the 427 go the way of the dinosaur now that the new models are coming out. Not a really nice way to treat their customers who dropped 80K on the car.

If you think I'm exaggerating, check here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ear-found.html

And believe me, there are many more threads on this issue.

Anyway, enjoy the new 991 OP; if you get only half the enjoyment I'm getting, you'll still be way ahead of the game.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:35 AM
trysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to all
Originally Posted by CarreraPete
I just went into the garage and measured for you: 6.5 inches (It may be lower if you went for the SPASM option with the moveable spoiler).

I traded a ZO6 in for this car. The ZO6 always scraped slightly when leaving the driveway and this car does not. I also have no problems with the speed-bumps at my daughter's housing complex.

I loved the ZO6, as it was reminiscent to the muscle-cars I'd started out with:

1965 GTO Tri-powered 389, and then a 421H.O.

1968 Baldwin-Motion L88 Camaro

1969 Chevelle 396/375 and then 427

1970 Chevelle LS6.

We've been down the same road I think. except 65 GTO Tripower 4sp Conv to start...........final car I think 2013 C2S Cab. You didn't know a girl named Cathy did you??

Last edited by trysixty; 12-16-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Detroit Shooter is on a distinguished road
I guess I am lucky to have skipped that step. I still own my first car SS 396 Camaro. I am going to sell it.. Needes a complete resto and I am not up to it.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Thanks for your valuable information Opnielsen & CarreraPete.

Question: Is PASM and SPASM are the same?

Old 12-16-2012, 02:27 PM
DocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to allDocMalone is a name known to all
I have the sport design package and an S (the S comes with PASM and you can get the optional SPASM thatlowers you another cm)
I have the standard S suspension and my clearance is 6 inches

Old 12-18-2012, 03:06 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
I have it and it is not that bad I have it on my CS. You just have to be careful with steep driveways.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Banned
Naaranha has a spectacular aura aboutNaaranha has a spectacular aura aboutNaaranha has a spectacular aura about
I just ordered a C4S with SPASM and the front sports design fascia. I asked the dealer to measure the difference. He said the difference is 1 inch lower with the sport front design fascia. He put the grond clearance on the C4S with SPASM and front design fascia at 5'3/4" grond clearance. Hope this helps. This is also confirmed by Opnielsen.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:40 PM
5' 3/4 .... It is good for me!!

Thanks all

Old 12-18-2012, 07:09 PM
eddie o is on a distinguished road
good luck with the car i think you will have lots of fun with it

Old 12-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hotmetal
5' 3/4 .... It is good for me!!

Thanks all
Ah 6speed at it's best, glad it worked out for ya!
That sport design front bumper sure does look good, aggressive but classy.
Can't wait to see the pics!

Old 12-18-2012, 11:30 PM
CS2K will become famous soon enough
very interesting didnt expect to have guys here trading their vettes for the 991

i did the same actually haahahah

i still miss the pure torque and isntant power of my X 550RWHP Z06 but dont regeret the trade at all

the power that i get with all the comfort is all what i ever asked for