sport and sport plus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 06:40 AM
kes7u will become famous soon enough
sport and sport plus

I just recently started considering ordering a 991S for Euro delivery later this summer/fall.

I am coming from a 997.1S, and have started to read everything I can find on the new 991.

I have a question that I can't find the answer to. On my 997.1S, every time I start the car, I need to hit the SPORT button to activate it, and then the PASM button to set it to a normal setting within the SPORT range.

I am having a bit of trouble figuring out the new Sport and Sport Plus settings on the new 991. Is the new Sport the same as the old, and is Sport Plus something new and different? How many button pushed are now going to be required every time I start the car!!!

I plan on getting the car with 7MT, Sport Chrono and PASM Sport.

Thanks for any help and guidance!
Kevin

Old 01-18-2013, 07:10 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by kes7u
I just recently started considering ordering a 991S for Euro delivery later this summer/fall.

I am coming from a 997.1S, and have started to read everything I can find on the new 991.

I have a question that I can't find the answer to. On my 997.1S, every time I start the car, I need to hit the SPORT button to activate it, and then the PASM button to set it to a normal setting within the SPORT range.

I am having a bit of trouble figuring out the new Sport and Sport Plus settings on the new 991. Is the new Sport the same as the old, and is Sport Plus something new and different? How many button pushed are now going to be required every time I start the car!!!

I plan on getting the car with 7MT, Sport Chrono and PASM Sport.

Thanks for any help and guidance!
Kevin
The 991 S with Sport chrono has three engine/suspension mappings. I have PDK so could be wrong but I think the manual works as follows:

Nothing pressed in normal mode gives the the softest suspension settings and the least aggressive pedal-throttle reaction, with engine stop when car is not moving. The last can be disabled by pressing the button on the left side of the console.

Press Sport and you get more aggressive peddle-throttle response, the engine stop when still feature is disabled, and the PASM goes to the faster rebound circuit.

Note PASM settings work over two map ranges so there is some overlap when in the "slower/softer" vs "harder/faster" rebound modes. The PASM Sport option gives shorter stiffer springs and stiffer roll bars but not different suspension and engine control mappings.

In Sport Plus everything works at the most aggressive end of its range plus the dynamic engine mounts go to the hardest setting. I am not certain but automatic throttle blipping to match engine and trans internals speeds on downshifts may work in Sport Plus only (or not)

With PDK the multitude of sensors in the car vary and or hold mappings according to how the car is driven, with acceleration, braking and lateral acceleration inputs all have effects independently of manual settings. I don't know if that is true with manual transmissions as well.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 01-18-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:14 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
On my car you have to select the sport or sport mode or it assumes base mode. Gas mileage in the latter two modes is significantly reduced as among other things, RPM stay higher.

ChuckJ

Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking of the following for my 991S, to attain a similarity to the 'Schumacher mode' of the 997s.

I'll press the Sport and the Sport Plus buttons. I'll then press the PASM button to return the suspension to the more relaxed portion of the Sport Plus range.

Thoughts?

Kevin

Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 AM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
I have a 7 speed manual SC with chrono. Sport and Sport + don't do anything that I can notice. It just turns on the PSE and firms up the suspension..... I think you have to set the setting every time you power up.... I can double check and let you know.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I think you'll find your choice is Sport or Sport +. Don't think (going from memory on my rental 991S in September) that it's one or the other.

John in Vancouver

Old 01-18-2013, 09:37 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by kes7u
Thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking of the following for my 991S, to attain a similarity to the 'Schumacher mode' of the 997s.

I'll press the Sport and the Sport Plus buttons. I'll then press the PASM button to return the suspension to the more relaxed portion of the Sport Plus range.

Thoughts?

Kevin
I think you will find that you can just pick the mapping you want (Sport or Sport Plus mappings). The 991 suspension is so much more supple, even with the stiffer springs that you get with Sport PASM, than the 997 that the Sport settings are not at all "harsh". In other words- Sport fine for normal roads. Sport Plus will activate the dynamic engine mounts. But the computer and sensors are at work all the time to adjust all of the above to the conditions they sense. But as ChuckJ points out- you mileage will vary. Also, When you select the Sport settings the oil will get routed for extra cooling. I guess it is mapped to handle the expected pressure of your right foot and rpm when you make such selections.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 01-18-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:32 AM
T-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to behold
From what my deal said, with Euro delivery they will install the license plate at the factory. Just an FYI.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:42 AM
GTSLVR991S is on a distinguished road
I have the sport chrono package, optional sport PASM and a 7mt. I've never driven a 997 so I can't compare but this is my daily routine. I start the car, turn off the hvac, turn down/off the radio, and press the SPORT button. By doing so, the PSE is activated automatically, but not the PASM suspension. If I'm feeling playful 10-15 minutes into my drive, I will then press SPORT PLUS which turns on the PASM with it. Again depending on roads, I will then elect to switch the PASM on or off independently, as it is a tad too much for overly bumpy pavement. As far as the differences between the SPORT modes, I can definitely tell the throttle mapping from regular to SPORT, and a little less from SPORT to SPORT PLUS. Now I'm not as keen to the difference in suspension firmness in NORMAL mode from REG to SPORT as PASM is technically not activated, but there is a unquestionable change when the PASM light is on. More often than not, I turn PASM off even when I'm in SPORT PLUS mode because I want the aggresive throttle mapping but can do without the optimum tautness. Again I have 7mt so obviously none of these settings have a bearing on that.

Phew, sorry for going caps crazy. My hands are sore now. Hope this helps.

Last edited by GTSLVR991S; 01-18-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by GTSLVR991S
I have the sport chrono package, optional sport PASM and a 7mt. I've never driven a 997 so I can't compare but this is my daily routine. I start the car, turn off the hvac, turn down/off the radio, and press the SPORT button. By doing so, the PSE is activated automatically, but not the PASM suspension. If I'm feeling playful 10-15 minutes into my drive, I will then press SPORT PLUS which turns on the PASM with it. Again depending on roads, I will then elect to switch the PASM on or off independently, as it is a tad too much for overly bumpy pavement. As far as the differences between the SPORT modes, I can definitely tell the throttle mapping from regular to SPORT, and a little less from SPORT to SPORT PLUS. Now I'm not as keen to the difference in suspension firmness in NORMAL mode from REG to SPORT as PASM is technically not activated, but there is a unquestionable change when the PASM light is on. More often than not, I turn PASM off even when I'm in SPORT PLUS mode because I want the aggresive throttle mapping but can do without the optimum tautness. Again I have 7mt so obviously none of these settings have a bearing on that.

I had PASM on my Boxter S RS60 (equivalent to the SPASM springs and roll bars) and the stiffer sport setting was just way too harsh unless the road was perfectly smooth - so I guess the 997 was similar.

I think if you check you will find that PASM is always on. It has two overlapping ranges to its rebound behavior (translates to "stiffness") and you can select one. On a 991S PDK with Sport Chrono, the computer does some of the selection of "performance" settings for you when your driving style matches some set sensor thresholds and eventually settles back to the way you had it set. I don't know if that happens with the manual trans.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:20 PM
gulrey22 has a spectacular aura aboutgulrey22 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by m5_2010
I have a 7 speed manual SC with chrono. Sport and Sport + don't do anything that I can notice. It just turns on the PSE and firms up the suspension..... I think you have to set the setting every time you power up.... I can double check and let you know.
I have the 7MT with Sport Chrono. I can definitely notice a difference in the throttle reponse when I hit the Sport button. In fact, if I am going 50 plus mph and the rpm is 3,500 or more, the car actually kind of accelerates a bit when I hit the button.

As far as suspension goes though, I really don't felt much of a difference.

Also don't notice much difference between Sport and Sport Plus. The Sport Plus is probably mostly for cars with automatic transmissions

Old 01-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by gulrey22
I have the 7MT with Sport Chrono. I can definitely notice a difference in the throttle reponse when I hit the Sport button. In fact, if I am going 50 plus mph and the rpm is 3,500 or more, the car actually kind of accelerates a bit when I hit the button.

As far as suspension goes though, I really don't felt much of a difference.

Also don't notice much difference between Sport and Sport Plus. The Sport Plus is probably mostly for cars with automatic transmissions
Right. In Sport Plus shifts occur at the red line unless the driver does them manually (via lever, paddles or buttons). And under hard braking shifts are made down to the gear at the highest rpm possible without exceeding redline.

Can be disconcerting to instantly find one self in first at 6500 turning into the apex of a slow tight turn and having it shift up to second an instant later. The shifts are done so fast the car does not get unsettled but it can be too exciting! Thats why I think that with PDK Sport Plus is mostly for the track.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:58 PM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
On my 911S with MN, the rev-matching feature only works when Sport Plus is activated.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Thanks for this. This makes a lot of sense and sounds very accurate. I think the only thing is that PASM always is present, but turns to a sportier setting when switched 'on'. My guess is, similar to the 997, that PASM turned 'off' while on Sport Plus mode is still a more aggressive setting than when not in the Sport Plus mode.

Thanks for your information!
Kevin

Originally Posted by GTSLVR991S

Old 01-18-2013, 07:33 PM
TOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really niceTOPorschefan is just really nice
Hi Kes7u-I have a 7MT with SC this is what i have noticed

Regular mode-a little dull for my liking
Sport-Throttle response is noticeably improved-I drive in this mode 90 % of time
Sport Plus-similar to sport but the suspension tightens up. Again noticeable from sport.

It is next to impossible not to notice the difference. I also have PSE which changes in character depending on normal mode and sport. With sport on you can hear a noticeable increase in engine sound in the cabin as the symposer opens up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: sport and sport plus