Supercharged M3 vs. new 991 C2S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by yxc145
Cool. Yeah, I was there about 1.5 months ago to get the H&R springs installed on my C2S. Anthony is a great guy. Top quality and great price. Many of my friends also had their BMW mod there. I asked because I thought you are in New York.
Never been to Perfect Power before.
What are you ordering from IND? Anthony told me one of his friend is having his 991 C2S completely moded there. Wouldn't happen to be you, would it?

Nevermind, I take it back. I have talked to Perfect Power before. Seem like a nice shop, too.
Yeah, that would be me. I'm very close with the folks at iND, and I love driving down (across) from New York to spend the week with them while they work on the car. I call it the week of hangovers.

The plan is to do a drop, wheels, exhaust, roll cage (BBI), and Recaro seats.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by tx11
My experience with 2 e46s and an E92 is the M3 doesn't have enough tire to hook up. Some guys with stock M3s and slicks do pretty well but with 500+ hp they just spin. Take it to a strip and watch what happens. Crazy trap speed though.
Yeah, we had to pull the fenders and fit 315's in the rear to deal with traction issues on the M3.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:30 PM
tx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
Yeah, we had to pull the fenders and fit 315's in the rear to deal with traction issues on the M3.
315 is still small for 700 hp. I see a Porsche Turbo in your future.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:38 PM
mrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of lightmrstep is a glorious beacon of light
Supercharged M3 vs new 991 C2S:

But speeding around the backroads makes you realize that the 911 still has the engine in the wrong place (well, I love, but lets be honest). It is **** heavy, and you feel it. It moves its *** like Marilyn Monroe, and I love it! Despite all the electronic nannies you'll always be able to feel it, and it puts a big smile to my face. That was the first time I realized I didn't regret my switch.
Love that ***-heavy feel too! It just makes it so different from anything else out there and is something you always have in the back of your mind as you hit a turn. Great grip - but you never want to have it accidentally cut loose - and you just always know it!

Haters:

This is fairly interesting. I got tons of attention in both cars, and people took and take cellphone photos all the time. The Beast got smiles from old and young, folks would cheer when I ripped it, and even my local cops gave me thumps up. it was a f@ckign crowd pleaser. No one tried to race me, and people waved me in during high traffic.

Driving a highly modded M3 makes you a local "hero", driving a new 911 makes you a ******-bag. The only folks that smile at you (and don't judge) are kids, and teenage girls... they love it, the rest... doesn't. It doesn't bother me, but filling up the gas tank is very different in the 911 than the modded M3. This is what I think the thought process is... for the M3: "I wonder what is under the hood?", the 911: "I wonder what this ******* does for a living?"
I've found I've gotten a lot of positive attention, but I have Guards Red which is just an eye magnet. Whether it's the guy holding the Stop/Slow sign at a work site, random people walking by at gas stations, random people walking and giving thumbs-ups in parking lots, etc., I haven't gotten any negatives yet.

Now are the ones who aren't smiling secretly thinking "What a ******-bag!"? Maybe, particularly with this color, but there are so many positive reactions that I haven't noticed. But there's definitely a price aspect that I'm sure will trigger the "what a ******" reflex in some too. Oh well.

In any case, enjoy! Sounds like a HUGE difference in almost every respect from your M3, so if nothing else it should be a lot of fun just for the variety!

Old 05-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by tx11
315 is still small for 700 hp. I see a Porsche Turbo in your future.
One day!

Originally Posted by mrstep
Love that ***-heavy feel too! It just makes it so different from anything else out there and is something you always have in the back of your mind as you hit a turn. Great grip - but you never want to have it accidentally cut loose - and you just always know it!

I've found I've gotten a lot of positive attention, but I have Guards Red which is just an eye magnet. Whether it's the guy holding the Stop/Slow sign at a work site, random people walking by at gas stations, random people walking and giving thumbs-ups in parking lots, etc., I haven't gotten any negatives yet.

Now are the ones who aren't smiling secretly thinking "What a ******-bag!"? Maybe, particularly with this color, but there are so many positive reactions that I haven't noticed. But there's definitely a price aspect that I'm sure will trigger the "what a ******" reflex in some too. Oh well.

In any case, enjoy! Sounds like a HUGE difference in almost every respect from your M3, so if nothing else it should be a lot of fun just for the variety!
LOL! I have guards red as well... responses definitely vary based on location. Kids love - and that's all that matters.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:48 PM
1000 mile review. Still not broken-in, but I played a little...

Not far from my house is a magical country called Mexico, they have no speed limits, nobody ever gets hurt, and there are no consequences for turning off the electronic nannies - ever.

It also has around 40 curves within 5 miles. You will encounter the occasional biker, but since the road has a river next to it the biker can just jump in there (for a soft and save landing) when I clip him. I always throw money out the window when that happens so he or she can buy a new bike. I call this maneuver - 'making it rain'.

Here are the things I've learned on Saturday:

The engine in the new 991 is in the back. It is hanging behind the rear axle. This is stupid and fun at the same time. The engine of the M3 is not in the back, it is actually in the front, this is a slightly better place for many scenarios.

Turning into a corner at high speed still feels busy, despite the wider track, and the glorious chassis. I still don't have the confidence I had with the M3. Again, this is totally unfair since I had a modified suspension in the beast, tons of seat time, and heavier steering due to running 265's in the front. The 911 has bicycle tires, I just found out the engine is in the back, and I'm slightly retarded, so I have a steeper learning curve than most.

Once you reach the apex of the corner, well, what I think the apex is anyway, the 911 rewards you with having having the engine in the 'right' place. Holy slingshot baby!

However, if you are dealing with tons of S curves you just slingshot out of one corner (due to the engine being in the right place), into another corner, and now you have to deal with the busy, light steering again (due to the fact that the engine is in the wrong place). it is a circle of fun and terror - times 40 on that particular road.

So for now the 911 involves me much more, and makes me work much harder to go fast, which I believe is the total opposite of every car magazine review worldwide. Clearly, they are all wrong and don't know how to drive - weird.

Sport Chrono: This is def a must have feature! Dynamic engine mounts are amazing! BTW, I'm just saying this, I have no f@ckling clue if you can actually feel the difference or not, I'm just gonna go ahead and say that I *do* noticed a difference.

Electric steering: i can't tell the difference, I just can't . Any purist who says otherwise is (IMHO) full of ****.

Next up: Why the ladies dig the 911, and why red is the best color of them all.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:09 PM
yxc145 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, that would be me. I'm very close with the folks at iND, and I love driving down (across) from New York to spend the week with them while they work on the car. I call it the week of hangovers.

The plan is to do a drop, wheels, exhaust, roll cage (BBI), and Recaro seats.
Nice! Please let me know when you are in town again. I would love to see your car when it is all done.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:41 PM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
I've owned all types of super-cars throughout my life and have always noticed that the Porsche brand attracts the classier females. Many men know this, and that's why they resent anyone lucky enough to be driving one. I'd found this to be the case during the eighties, and it's the same now--nothings changed.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:31 PM
yellow02996 is on a distinguished road
911's just start to get good at 4000 RPM

You really can't drive a 911 under 4000 RPM's if you want to see what they can do.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:30 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Thanks a lot Philip, this is a great write up, just missing pics of your 911!!!.
I am convinced that the more you push your 991S the more you will love it -which you obviously already do -.

I am on the path of modifying my 991 too but do not feel frustrated by the 400hp. Sure, I could use a bit more power, but I like the progressive power build up of the naturally aspirated engine too much to consider anything super- or turbocharged. The power of the 991 never scares me and part of the fun factor is that you can go WOT on open roads without getting to (too) crazy speed levels. I am giving point by's to GTRs at the track, but that's OK too

So far, I only got compliments and thumbs up, but I live in an area with a lot of nice cars so there is not much 'social tension'.

I will definitely be interested to know what you have in mind for the suspension. I would love to drop the car a bit, but I am not aware of options that currently work with PDCC. Bilstein's has released new B16 Damptronics but I do not know if they bring anything better than SPASM. PSS10 are available too, but again I would like to keep the comfort setting of PASM working and not mess with PDCC.

Sorry, I did not mind to hijack your thread, just wanted to share my own experience and thank you for being candid and most of all not dogmatic!

Serge

Old 05-14-2013, 04:12 PM
CCns23 has a spectacular aura aboutCCns23 has a spectacular aura about
These write ups have me rolling here. Great job sir!!

Old 05-14-2013, 04:20 PM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Don't mod your current 991. Use that money to get a 991 turbo. More power stock, and easier to mod and extract more hp from. Just how you like your cars I gather from reading your posts :-)

Old 05-14-2013, 04:22 PM
flyanddive will become famous soon enoughflyanddive will become famous soon enough
Next up: Why the ladies dig the 911, and why red is the best color of them all.
Guards or Amaranth? Ha, A women will admit to going out with a guy because of his car, like a man will admit he was staring at her breasts.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by yxc145
Nice! Please let me know when you are in town again. I would love to see your car when it is all done.
Definitely! It will be a while, it took me 2 years to built up the M3.

Originally Posted by CarreraPete
I've owned all types of super-cars throughout my life and have always noticed that the Porsche brand attracts the classier females. Many men know this, and that's why they resent anyone lucky enough to be driving one. I'd found this to be the case during the eighties, and it's the same now--nothings changed.

Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Thanks a lot Philip, this is a great write up, just missing pics of your 911!!!.
I am convinced that the more you push your 991S the more you will love it -which you obviously already do -.

I am on the path of modifying my 991 too but do not feel frustrated by the 400hp. Sure, I could use a bit more power, but I like the progressive power build up of the naturally aspirated engine too much to consider anything super- or turbocharged. The power of the 991 never scares me and part of the fun factor is that you can go WOT on open roads without getting to (too) crazy speed levels. I am giving point by's to GTRs at the track, but that's OK too

So far, I only got compliments and thumbs up, but I live in an area with a lot of nice cars so there is not much 'social tension'.

I will definitely be interested to know what you have in mind for the suspension. I would love to drop the car a bit, but I am not aware of options that currently work with PDCC. Bilstein's has released new B16 Damptronics but I do not know if they bring anything better than SPASM. PSS10 are available too, but again I would like to keep the comfort setting of PASM working and not mess with PDCC.

Sorry, I did not mind to hijack your thread, just wanted to share my own experience and thank you for being candid and most of all not dogmatic!

Serge
Thank you Serge! Your thread/journal was the inspiration for this ongoing write-up.

I went with KW H.A.S. (Height Adjustable Springs) for now, since I would like to use the stock shocks for now, I don't have PDCC though.

I totally agree with the power delivery of the 991 - very easy to control, no surprises, and perfect for the track. My supercharged M3 was way overpowered for the track and my own driving abilities.

Originally Posted by yellow02996
You really can't drive a 911 under 4000 RPM's if you want to see what they can do.
Yeah, I can't wait!

Originally Posted by CCns23
These write ups have me rolling here. Great job sir!!
Thank you for the kind words.

Originally Posted by bccars
Don't mod your current 991. Use that money to get a 991 turbo. More power stock, and easier to mod and extract more hp from. Just how you like your cars I gather from reading your posts :-)
Too late... In the end I'd mod any car I buy. The turbo will be incredible! But sadly only with PDK.

Originally Posted by flyanddive
Guards or Amaranth? Ha, A women will admit to going out with a guy because of his car, like a man will admit he was staring at her breasts.
.... guards red. So true!

Old 05-14-2013, 07:55 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Philip:
Thanks for your review. You might want to have your alignment checked; I did and mine was out of alignment from the factory. It now turns in much better than my 2009 C2S.

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 05-14-2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Supercharged M3 vs. new 991 C2S