Supercharged M3 vs. new 991 C2S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Philip:
Thanks for your review. You might want to have you alignment checked; I did and mine was out of alignment from the factory. It now turns in much better than my 2009 C2S.

ChuckJ
Thanks! Good point. I'll get a new alignment done after the spring install next week.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:01 PM
flyanddive will become famous soon enoughflyanddive will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium

.... guards red. So true!
BZZZ. I'm sorry, the answer we were looking for was Amaranth.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:43 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Team Plutonium --

Best post I've read all day !!!

I currently have a bone stock 11 M3 (comp package , oem performance parts) and before that had an 08 M3 . I did not mod them because i already have an EVT700 997 Turbo . I've seen the ESS cars and happen to live in competitor territory with Active being the local great .
Obviously at least locally - a modded M3 BMW warranty can be voided in a nanosecond so I figured as a dd mine will just be stock .

The 991S is slow .. but i love the car . I think you hit the nail with "diet Panamera " and it's not necessarily a bad thing for a guy like me in his 50's . But i think back to my 30's and the earlier 911 cars with offset pedals , air cooled swoosh , and the 1960's dash . I think of the 997.2 Gt3 and Rs . Then i look at a 991 and ask myself .. where did all the raw 911 characteristics go ?

I am waiting to see the Turbo S but I look at my M3 and there are certain things about it that I love as a dd while there are other things i detest .

I don't like the flimsy dash. I don't like the idrive . As for PSE in the 991 my M3 has the inconel BMW OEM "performance" exhaust which I think sounds better mated to the V8 . BTW I think Inconel makes Porsche exhausts (very expensive --IMO) .

Regarding the "local hero " vs the "dbag" -- At my age I don't dwell too much on image.

I'm almost surprised that you didn't opt for a PDK TurboS or a modded 997.1tt .
It has all the juice of the modded M3 and the tuners have created a very linear acceleration with the upgraded Vtgs .

Last edited by yrralis1; 05-14-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:56 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
Too late... In the end I'd mod any car I buy
Love it! I suffer from the same disease. Mod'ing the car is a way to make it truly yours, tweaking -if possible improving- the performance and personalizing the car while trying to stay true to the manufacturer's original intent. I do bolt on/100% reversible mods and keep all the OEM parts so that I can always go back to the 'purity' of the stock car.

Even if the horsepower of your 'Beast' was a little too much for me, I found the aesthetics to be perfect: it was clearly modded but still looked very classy and not way off what BMW would have designed (unlike 'riced' M3's that other members were referring to). No doubt that your 991 will be a great project!

Old 05-14-2013, 11:10 PM
omg321123 is on a distinguished road
Funny to see someone comparing a big sports coupe to an actual sports car. Time to move on. Show me some clips of SC m3 driving around nurburgring in 7:4X.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:34 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by omg321123
Funny to see someone comparing a big sports coupe to an actual sports car. Time to move on. Show me some clips of SC m3 driving around nurburgring in 7:4X.
Sorry, but read the Op's thread again. This is not the point. It is about his experience as an enthusiast with two (very) different rides...

Old 05-14-2013, 11:54 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
I'm loving this thread...subscribed

Old 05-15-2013, 12:19 AM
omg321123 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Sorry, but read the Op's thread again. This is not the point. It is about his experience as an enthusiast with two (very) different rides...
Ok! I went back to read it and found out that I overlooked some parts. Apologize for that! I can't wait to see OP's track review. Because from what I've experience, 911s are on different planet when it comes to driving around tracks.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:04 AM
Ok! I went back to read it and found out that I overlooked some parts. Apologize for that! I can't wait to see OP's track review. Because from what I've experience, 911s are on different planet when it comes to driving around tracks.
Sure thing! That makes two (and probably a lot more ) of us!

Old 05-15-2013, 06:24 AM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1

BTW I think Inconel makes Porsche exhausts (very expensive --IMO) .
Had the BMW performance exhaust on my 2013 M3...sounded good.

Inconel is a nickel-base alloy with chromium & iron - not a manufacturer.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:29 AM
tx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of light
Team Plutonium --

The 991S is slow .. but i love the car .

11.6-11.8 1/4 miles at 120 mph is slow?

Old 05-15-2013, 07:05 AM
Detroit Shooter is on a distinguished road
I think it is premature to judge

You have to wind it up to appreciate it.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:30 AM
Min911 is on a distinguished road
The OP, like most of us, are growing older.

We used to ejaculate before our pants were down, and people looked at us in awe, now we need foreplay and learn to enjoy the process gracefully, and people think we are d-bags. Why should we care what people think then?

I try not to compare myself to me 20 years younger, as long as we still have it, that's all that matters

Last edited by Min911; 05-15-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
Team Plutonium --

Best post I've read all day !!!

I currently have a bone stock 11 M3 (comp package , oem performance parts) and before that had an 08 M3 . I did not mod them because i already have an EVT700 997 Turbo . I've seen the ESS cars and happen to live in competitor territory with Active being the local great .
Obviously at least locally - a modded M3 BMW warranty can be voided in a nanosecond so I figured as a dd mine will just be stock .

The 991S is slow .. but i love the car . I think you hit the nail with "diet Panamera " and it's not necessarily a bad thing for a guy like me in his 50's . But i think back to my 30's and the earlier 911 cars with offset pedals , air cooled swoosh , and the 1960's dash . I think of the 997.2 Gt3 and Rs . Then i look at a 991 and ask myself .. where did all the raw 911 characteristics go ?

I am waiting to see the Turbo S but I look at my M3 and there are certain things about it that I love as a dd while there are other things i detest .

I don't like the flimsy dash. I don't like the idrive . As for PSE in the 991 my M3 has the inconel BMW OEM "performance" exhaust which I think sounds better mated to the V8 . BTW I think Inconel makes Porsche exhausts (very expensive --IMO) .

Regarding the "local hero " vs the "dbag" -- At my age I don't dwell too much on image.

I'm almost surprised that you didn't opt for a PDK TurboS or a modded 997.1tt .
It has all the juice of the modded M3 and the tuners have created a very linear acceleration with the upgraded Vtgs .
Thank you for the kind words.

Yes, slapping a supercharger on the M3 voided the warranty that very second. You definitely need to be aware of that, and if it keeps someone awake at night they shouldn't be doing it. I did that with 10K on the clock, alongside cutting and pulling fenders, whole new suspension, new diff and gears, and big brakes.

One thing I truly enjoy right now is the fact that I can start up the car in the morning, and not be surprised with any random fault codes popping up. Passing inspection with a full (cat-less) exhaust was also tricky, but after playing the software we found a way. Again, this isn't for everybody, but I actually enjoyed the silly (self-imposed) challenge. Ah... spending nights in the car with the laptop plugged in...

You are right, the turbo would've been the perfect car for me, and you can mod these babies to oblivion. The sky is the limit with the turbos set-up. It came down to two issues: 1. PDK only, and 2. A joint bank account with my wife. So yeah, I would've gotten over the PDK thing, but a $180K withdrawal would've been vetoed from the get-go, so I didn't even try... I know my place.

Love it! I suffer from the same disease. Mod'ing the car is a way to make it truly yours, tweaking -if possible improving- the performance and personalizing the car while trying to stay true to the manufacturer's original intent. I do bolt on/100% reversible mods and keep all the OEM parts so that I can always go back to the 'purity' of the stock car.

Even if the horsepower of your 'Beast' was a little too much for me, I found the aesthetics to be perfect: it was clearly modded but still looked very classy and not way off what BMW would have designed (unlike 'riced' M3's that other members were referring to). No doubt that your 991 will be a great project!
Thank you for the kind words again, Serge! The horsepower output of the 'Beast' was too much for me as well. I took at around Watkins Glen and the first words of my instructor were: 'WTF?! - We are going to die!" In the end it was unusable for the track, it was fun on the drag strip, but it had way too much power for most tracks.

+1. This.

Totally agree! There is no doubt in my mind that this will be an incredible expierience.

Originally Posted by tx11
Nope it certainly isn't. It was a subjective feeling after coming from a nearly 700HP car. Again, I'm not complaining, the 991 is fast, no question. My statement was more meant to be funny than "accurate", since you can hardly say that a 400hp 911 is slow...

Originally Posted by Detroit Shooter
You have to wind it up to appreciate it.
Agreed, and I'm counting the miles....

Originally Posted by Min911
The OP, like most of us, are growing older.

We used to ejaculate before our pants were down, and people looked at us in awe, now we need foreplay and learn to enjoy the process gracefully, and people think we are d-bags. Why should we care what people think then?

I try not to compare myself to me 20 years younger, as long as we still have it, that's all that matters
Agreed, it was more of an observation, and it doesn't bother me what other people think - I work hard to buy my toys.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:40 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tx11
yyralis1 has a 700hp turbo so yes, that is slow.

I also have an aftermarket turbo and most N/A carrera's feels slow to me. They are still fun but doesn't feel fast.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Supercharged M3 vs. new 991 C2S