Advice: 991(2013) vs 997(2011)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 06:39 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by op487062
what he said
Don't forget, he could have a balance sheet that supports it.

ChuckJ

Old 06-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Aranthir will become famous soon enough
That's good advice and something I've considered. In my case I have no other obligations and my retirement is solid.

I'm choosing to live a bit now vs waiting till I'm 65. I have a window now before my kids go to college that I can squeeze this in.

I'm still hoping I find a lower cost unit but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Hi yrallis1

I just caught the 1 month ownership. That's certainly strange and ill be asking what the details are in that aspect. They originally listed it for 86k and accidentally listed it on Craigslist for 76.

When I inquired they were surprised by the 76k but said they would honor the price.

Thanks again for the great wealth of advice on this forum.

Last edited by Aranthir; 06-07-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:14 AM
I'm wondering if it was a demo, someone bought it, experienced some issues and got the dealer to buy it back. Then it took some time for the dealer to work out the issues.

They told me they were waiting for recalled parts for several months.

I emailed my salesperson and asked for an explanation.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:26 AM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Aranthir
That's good advice and something I've considered. In my case I have no other obligations and my retirement is solid.

I'm choosing to live a bit now vs waiting till I'm 65. I have a window now before my kids go to college that I can squeeze this in.

I'm still hoping I find a lower cost unit but I'm not holding my breath.
Then by all means go for it!

There are so many posts from 25yr olds living in apartments with no retirement trying to get a sweet car before their house is in order. I apologize if I lumped you in there.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:30 AM
onapex is on a distinguished road
Old 06-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by onapex
don't wait until you're 65 to own a porsche
What he said.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:17 PM
At the dealer now. Car seems ok. Was exec car. June 2012 in service.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-08-2013, 02:11 PM
disden will become famous soon enough
First off, good luck with your choice, I am sure you will make a wise decision. I would lean toward the 991 lease and don't put any cash down though. With residuals so inflated right now it's actually ridiculous how low the payments are for leases on $100k plus 991s. I didn't need a C2 cab, but with lease residuals so high it was just too hard to pass up. Plus, leases are great because in 2 years you get to make this post all over again!

Old 06-08-2013, 05:46 PM
bluepr0 is on a distinguished road
991 for sure

Old 06-08-2013, 05:51 PM
see other thread...new 911 owner...lol. love it.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:00 PM
PQA
PQA is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by onapex
the last thing you want to do is lease for 2 years then buy. the porsche residual is way too high. you'll be paying more in lease interest (money factor) and then paying too much on the buy out.
If you are buying the car out, residuals are a wash. The higher backend payments that accompany lower residuals are offset by the lower monthly payments. Time value of money and all, I'd rather pay more on the back end, especially if you don't end up buying the car out (e.g., stolen, recovered and repaired).

I compared the lease I just signed at a .68 residual to .70 and the net difference on total out of pocket was $7.18 before sales tax and $734 with sales tax. That's not a lot of money (at least when it comes to Porsches) for the put option of being able to hand over the keys and walk away if you want to.

Originally Posted by disden
First off, good luck with your choice, I am sure you will make a wise decision. I would lean toward the 991 lease and don't put any cash down though. With residuals so inflated right now it's actually ridiculous how low the payments are for leases on $100k plus 991s. I didn't need a C2 cab, but with lease residuals so high it was just too hard to pass up. Plus, leases are great because in 2 years you get to make this post all over again!
What he says x 1000. Although it has nothing to do with residuals. Gap insurance in the lease protects you for the difference between the car's FMV and your remaining payments. So if your car is stolen say 3 months after you get it, your insurance will pay only the car's FMV (with a hefty dose of depreciation for driving it off the lot). But since you paid upfront to lower your payments, the "gap" is much smaller and Porsche Finance basically gets to pocket your cap cost redux.

All you are doing with a cap cost redux is subventing the leasing company's gap risk. Never to that. In lieu of lower payments, put your cap cost redux money in the bank and draw a little bit out each month to cover the difference between your payment and the one you would have had with the cap cost redux. Your monthly cash flow will be the same going forward, but if the car is a total loss for some reason, the money in the bank is yours to keep.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:47 PM
speedwell is on a distinguished road
I've had both and would take the 991 without hesitation. Residual will be too high to buy at lease end, so I would recommend just leasing and then take advantage of PNA lease buyout to re-up with a new car as you approach end of term.

Looking over the options on the '11 - you live in Napa so you don't need heated seats or steering wheel. PTV and PASM are good but entirely unnecessary options. Bose Surround is entirely unnecessary. Sport seats, sunroof and sport chrono are nice options to have, but even factoring all of this stuff (and the price) it doesn't add up to a 991.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:52 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I've had 2 997s and 1 991. The 991 is quieter and more sophisticated. I like the 991 better- by far:
1. Faster
2. Better corner balancing
3. Quieter
4. Better mileage
5. More stable
6. More room
7. Lighter
8. Great new paint
9. Better creature comforts (door chirp, GPS, etc)
10. Better dash
11. Better looks
12. Better ride
13. Warranty
14. Higher confidence it is undamaged / repaired

ChuckJ
I agree except I had a 996 a 997 and a cayman. The 991 is the best yet. Get the 991! you won't be sorry. But you might have regrets if you get the 997.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:04 PM
sportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the rough
991. True no-brainer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Advice: 991(2013) vs 997(2011)