Drove a 458 today...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 06:25 AM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
I agree, dollar for dollar, the GT3 is better than a 458. Of course, to me, also should include the Z07 in the discussion.

Unless an experienced racer, I found, with or without the new 458 "Scuderia" version, the 458 as we know it right now is pretty much way too much for almost all of us. The 458 as it is, it's already way more than enough for me.

We are all so very fortuntate to dream, discuss, and perhaps have these awesome choices.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:21 AM
tx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of light
The video is funny. The driver stalls it twice ....... with a pdk!

Old 06-11-2013, 09:44 AM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
Originally Posted by yrralis1
There are many reasons NOt to get a 458 but the one you listed (how the car actually drives) is not one of them . It's a fantastic driving car. I just wish that all of the other reasons : 1) 18 mo wait to order a new one, 2) quirky service manuals for technicians rather than organized like Porsche 3) massive depreciation with higher miles 4) huge repair bills 5) Cant park it anywhere without some curb attention rendering fingerprints all over the car 6) enormous tire pricing , 7) difficulty in obtaining parts if not in stock .. I can go on .. but how the car drives (in my opinion) is the ONLY reason to actually buy the car.
yup, makes you wonder what the OP is talking about.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:57 AM
pyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tx11
The video is funny. The driver stalls it twice ....... with a pdk!
Auto Start Stop

Old 06-11-2013, 10:11 AM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
Originally Posted by pyramid
Auto Start Stop

i doubt it. theres something going on.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:31 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
most of the criticism on the 458 are around practicality, too flashy and overly boosted steering.

i have to agree with all of them. however, i would not want a practical ferrari that doesn't excite me. namely, the FF.

458 is the first modern v8 ferrari that really packs a bunch in power, improved reliability and modern electronics. anyone who has a 458 can certainly get a 991 or AMG or Bentley as a daily. i don't know of a 458 owner that drives it as a DD and only car.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:43 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by djantlive
most of the criticism on the 458 are around practicality, too flashy and overly boosted steering.

i have to agree with all of them. however, i would not want a practical ferrari that doesn't excite me. namely, the FF.

458 is the first modern v8 ferrari that really packs a bunch in power, improved reliability and modern electronics. anyone who has a 458 can certainly get a 991 or AMG or Bentley as a daily. i don't know of a 458 owner that drives it as a DD and only car.
Being "practical" and "suitable for daily", I believe are two different things.

They can be either, some are both. It comes down to personal priorities.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:57 AM
flyanddive will become famous soon enoughflyanddive will become famous soon enough
The biggest thing for me would be keeping it under the speed limit as a DD. It's hard enough to do in the Porsche, couldn't imagine in a Lambo or an F12.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:55 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
I love my 991C2S and it is very practical, but after 30k + kms I am getting ready to sell it next month before my Italia arrives July end. No complaints with my current car but the 458 is tempting. The 458 is marginally faster, gets much more stares and is just more fun to drive but not as practical for a daily. I will probably come back to porsche in the future in turbo format when I want a practical DD again.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:07 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
I've only driven an Italia once, when a complete stranger invited me to try his on a twisty country road (see link). It felt like I'd been happily married to the hot cheerleader from high school and a Russian Oligarch had just invited me to sleep with his girlfriend

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-attached.html

Old 06-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KonaKai
I've only driven an Italia once, when a complete stranger invited me to try his on a twisty country road (see link). It felt like I'd been happily married to the hot cheerleader from high school and a Russian Oligarch had just invited me to sleep with his girlfriend

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-attached.html

Sloppy seconds from Putin? ewwwww

Old 06-11-2013, 06:22 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Interesting article from evo, 458 vs Porsche, second column.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Evo Article.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	529.4 KB
ID:	251166  
Old 06-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by galion
Interesting article from evo, 458 vs Porsche, second column.
Interesting, indeed. I predict that the PDK will eventually add gears and make the lower gears short for sprints and the extra high gears good for high top speed & better fuel economy. Don't be surprised to see an 8-speed, 9-speed or even 10-speed transmission. Might be a few years, though.

Regardless what EVO had to say about the Jag F-Type, I seriously doubt that their 495-HP top model will beat a Carrera S Cabriolet PDK on any course or even in a standing start drag race. There will be comparison tests coming, to be sure.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:29 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed

Regardless what EVO had to say about the Jag F-Type, I seriously doubt that their 495-HP top model will beat a Carrera S Cabriolet PDK on any course or even in a standing start drag race. There will be comparison tests coming, to be sure.
Good! My wife does not usually like convertibles..., but she likes the new F-Type, a LOT! However, currently, it is not on our list.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:33 AM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
There will be an F-Type coupe, too.
Size-wise, I think the F-Type is like the SLK and the X4, not in the size of the 991.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drove a 458 today...