Interior Durability?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 12:09 PM
JT997 will become famous soon enough
Interior Durability?

Is it just me, or do the interior finishes seem less durable on the 991 than the 997? I have noticed a few small scuffs that seemingly have come from simple things like my wife's purse rubbing the bottom of the glovebox when she gets in or out of the car. Granted, these are tiny, probably unnoticeable to anyone else, but they drive me crazy. It also makes me think that the interior will wear more over time than my 997 did.
This is also probably related to a more premium feel. The seat leather feels much softer than before, which equals premium, but also less durable. In my industry, we deal with that all time, better quality for less durability, or more durable, but possibly sacrifice some quality and feel.
Another thing that drives me crazy is how easily the silver surfaces show fingerprints. You would think Porsche would have tried a different finish that would be more finger print resistant on parts they know are going to be touched all the time like the cup holder "door."

Has any one else noticed this?

Don't get me wrong, though. I absolutely love the car!

Old 06-26-2013, 12:27 PM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
The fingerprint problem I noticed in the showroom. That's the main reason why I went for the brushed aluminium interior trim on my order now. Can't say anything about the durabillty because I've just ordered the car. It does make sense that a more luxurious feel comes with less durabillty. I will be extra careful when I get the car now that I know this.

Suzy991

Old 06-26-2013, 12:34 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
YES, the fingerprints bugs me too.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Ditto on the fingerprints. They don't go away too easily on the drink holder. Thinking about swapping out for trim in exterior color to help hide the prints

Old 06-26-2013, 01:23 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
recall on the 997 the trim was plastic "AL Look".

Old 06-26-2013, 05:22 PM
Aranthir will become famous soon enough
Personally I noticed the fingerprints but I just keep telling myself that it just means more time with my baby in the garage keeping her tidy.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Airportrat has a spectacular aura aboutAirportrat has a spectacular aura about
I came from a 997 and the interior materials are vastly different. The door panel material on the 997 was softer but showed more fingerprints. The 991 material is a little thinner not as soft and resist stains a little more.

I have brushed aluminum which hides finger prints pretty good.

I do clean and condition the leather for cleanliness, and to keep the thin leather softer so it won't scratch as easily.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:45 PM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
Ha, ha! The fingerprints bug me too. I also hate to see them on the touch screen so i use the **** or the stick under the wiper lever to select stations, etc.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:53 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I use a Kozak cloth to dust the interior, including wiping the bright-work and don't have much of a problem with fingerprints. I also use it to wipe the black plastic sills and it nicely removes the minor scuff marks. I don't "wash" the car as it advertises, but I do dust it between washes.

ChuckJ
http://www.kozak.com/products_auto.html

Old 06-26-2013, 07:33 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
I find the leather to be a bit too delicate as well. If you look at it wrong it scuffs. If you bump it, it dents or I get small holes. I like the fit and feel. But I would like it to be a little more durable.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:27 PM
///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the plastic around the window switches as they are the worst, mine were scratches within a few days after delivery. It happened so fast that I thought maybe it was delivered like that to me, I went back to the dealership and looked at a few other new cars they had in the lot, all had scratches.

Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2013, 10:14 PM
JT997 will become famous soon enough
You are so right about that plastic! I noticed the same thing and figured it must have happened during the very few miles my car had before I got it.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:23 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Suzy991
The fingerprint problem I noticed in the showroom. That's the main reason why I went for the brushed aluminium interior trim on my order now. Can't say anything about the durabillty because I've just ordered the car. It does make sense that a more luxurious feel comes with less durabillty. I will be extra careful when I get the car now that I know this.

Suzy991
Not sure how particular you are for things to match but while configuring mine, I looked at brushed aluminium and the SD steering and just couldn't wrap my head around the finish difference...it's just me perhaps...

Old 06-26-2013, 11:45 PM
eddtiff is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Fester
Not sure how particular you are for things to match but while configuring mine, I looked at brushed aluminium and the SD steering and just couldn't wrap my head around the finish difference...it's just me perhaps...
I concur. I too tried configuring mine with brushed, but because the Sport Steering Wheel isn't brushed, the brushed looks out of place. Maybe it works better with the multi-function steering wheel instead...

Old 06-27-2013, 03:41 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fester

No, it's not just you I've been thinking about that issue too, but then I realised that the same finish is on the doorhandles, PDK, speakertrims, etc. My center console trim is in leather, so the only thing that will be in brushed aluminium is one horizontal line in the interior, which looks not bad.
The Anniversary edition also has the interior trim in brushed aluminium. I've seen that in person and didn't really mind about the trim having other finish than the rest.

There's no other interior trim that I would like. have been thinking about wood, but don't like the mahogany as a match with agate grey, same for Carbon Fiber. If there had been a Tineo finish, like in the Panamera I would have gone that way I think.

Suzy991

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Interior Durability?