Looking to lower my 911S, options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 08:49 AM
///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough
Looking to lower my 911S, options?

I don't have Sport PASM on mine and the wheel gap is starting to bother me. As much as I wanted to leave this car stock I think the mod bug is starting to bite. Starting with springs, I know H&R has a kit and TechArt as well. If you have any of these and can post pics it would be great. H&R is probably the route I will go since the TechArt is only 20mm and I would want a little more than an inch up front.

Also if I can get some feedback on the ride quality that would be great.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
I lowered by R8 Spyder and the ride suffered as a result. It looked awesome but I could feel every pebble and ripple on the road. YRMV.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:53 PM
yxc145 is on a distinguished road
I lowered mine with H&R springs. I really couldn't tell the difference in ride comfort. But I have only driven the car for 100 miles before changing it, so that may not be accurate.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
Im glad you started this topic--- I have a S-Pasm car and it sits pretty good, I could use a small drop. To the OP I know you said Techart has 20mm springs but I cant seem to confirm this on any vendor sites or even via the TA website. One vendor emailed me and said 30mm which is too much...

Old 07-08-2013, 03:32 PM
///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Vic55
Im glad you started this topic--- I have a S-Pasm car and it sits pretty good, I could use a small drop. To the OP I know you said Techart has 20mm springs but I cant seem to confirm this on any vendor sites or even via the TA website. One vendor emailed me and said 30mm which is too much...
It's right on TechArt's site when you select parts program. It says 20mm for PASM and 30mm for nonPASM. I assume that means if you have a regular 911, not the S and without PASM the total drop will be 30mm but if you have a 911S then it's 20mm since it has PASM standard. With SPASM you will not notice much a difference since it's already sitting lower.

I'm leaning towards to H&R at this point, I did message a few other owners and they all said the ride wasn't affected much.

Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ///armin
It's right on TechArt's site when you select parts program. It says 20mm for PASM and 30mm for nonPASM. I assume that means if you have a regular 911, not the S and without PASM the total drop will be 30mm but if you have a 911S then it's 20mm since it has PASM standard. With SPASM you will not notice much a difference since it's already sitting lower.

I'm leaning towards to H&R at this point, I did message a few other owners and they all said the ride wasn't affected much.

Thank you I went to that exact site and did see the specs weird.

Ok so this is odd to me since the springs set the height not the dampeners... if they drop the non pasm 30mm how can it not drop a pasm car 30mm? Its the same spring right? So the spring is going to change its rates or amount of coils depending on whether the car is pasm or non pasm right (which makes no sense- a spring is fixed)?

Or are there two different part numbers?

Old 07-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
I have the new KW HAS (height adjustable) springs. I normally prefer coil-overs but I wanted to keep the setting options. The KW's are great, install was a pain in the a$$ though. I'm very low, and I think the stance is dead on, the ride quality is stock, with being a tad firmer in sport mode.

Attached Images   
Old 07-08-2013, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Vic55
Thank you I went to that exact site and did see the specs weird.

Ok so this is odd to me since the springs set the height not the dampeners... if they drop the non pasm 30mm how can it not drop a pasm car 30mm? Its the same spring right? So the spring is going to change its rates or amount of coils depending on whether the car is pasm or non pasm right (which makes no sense- a spring is fixed)?

Or are there two different part numbers?
With PASM you already get springs that set the car lower from the factory compared to a base model. Therefore putting the same aftermarket springs on both cars will have a different impact on height since one is lower to begin with.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:38 PM
StephanC is just really niceStephanC is just really niceStephanC is just really niceStephanC is just really nice
I just lowered my car this past weekend with H&R springs. The height is perfect. Wish I had done it 6 months ago. I can hardly notice a difference in the ride. Still smooth but just a bit firmer. I can defineltly notice a big improvement when going into turns. I Highly recommend it

Old 07-09-2013, 11:32 PM
dbturbo2 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by StephanC
I just lowered my car this past weekend with H&R springs. The height is perfect. Wish I had done it 6 months ago. I can hardly notice a difference in the ride. Still smooth but just a bit firmer. I can defineltly notice a big improvement when going into turns. I Highly recommend it
Did you install the Sport springs? Did you need to do an alignment after?

Old 07-10-2013, 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
I have the new KW HAS (height adjustable) springs. I normally prefer coil-overs but I wanted to keep the setting options. The KW's are great, install was a pain in the a$$ though. I'm very low, and I think the stance is dead on, the ride quality is stock, with being a tad firmer in sport mode.
That's a very interesting option. How difficult is it to adjust the height? some systems you have to take the suspension out each time.

As far as the install goes, can you give some details on what made it a pain as compared to a regular spring install? I have contacted one local shop so far and they say even with just H&Rs they are expecting 2 hour per wheel.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:29 AM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by dbturbo2
You always need an alignment after you work on the suspension.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by ///armin
That's a very interesting option. How difficult is it to adjust the height? some systems you have to take the suspension out each time.

As far as the install goes, can you give some details on what made it a pain as compared to a regular spring install? I have contacted one local shop so far and they say even with just H&Rs they are expecting 2 hour per wheel.
You can adjust the height with a wrench-like tool KW includes.. very easy, car needs to be on the lift, but that's about it. Takes about 5-10 minutes.

The involved installation had nothing to do with the KW system, but due to the fact that you have to loosen the rear suspension from the inside of the car. It isn't hard to do, but my tech is 6+ feet and 200+ pounds, so it was a tight fit to work in the back seat.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:24 PM
StephanC is just really niceStephanC is just really niceStephanC is just really niceStephanC is just really nice
Originally Posted by dbturbo2
Yes, it was the sport springs.
An alignment is a must. I actually installed the springs my self at home with a buddy. shortly after installing the springs i drove my car to my local motorsport shop, on my drive there i was disappointed with the feel of the car. the car under steered too much and didn't feel right. after the alignment all the problems went away and it was a night and day difference.

Here are some photos after the install.
(forgive me for bad iphone pic and the not having the car cleaned in the 2nd photo)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	w31b.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	259191  
Attached Images  
Old 07-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by StephanC
Here are some photos after the install.
(forgive me for bad iphone pic and the not having the car cleaned in the 2nd photo)

A dirty car is a happy driver. Could be other way around.