MP4-12C: Extended Seat Time

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 07:08 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
MP4-12C: Extended Seat Time

Hi guys,

There has been quite a bit of commentary on the MP4-12C in this forum and the 991 Turbo forum. This past weekend I had the chance to drive one for many miles along some great country roads that I know well and was comfortable pushing pretty hard. A friend of mine had won it in a silent auction (for a 3 day rental that is . He's not a car guy at all so he let me do most of the driving. The car had 325 miles on it when we got it, and we added 400 over 3 days. The car had received the '13 ECU upgrades in power and sound.

Overall, I found the car to be tremendously exciting and emotional (contrary to its reputation). The acceleration and sound are in a whole different league than the 991S. I have also spent extensive time in a 997.2TT2 Coupe, which on paper is as fast or faster, but the 12C felt much faster. There is a some turbo lag in first gear but after that it seems to keep boost well and it's all brutal acceleration. The 12C seems to hit triple digits without batting an eyelash, and with the air brake and ceramics, brakes tremendously too.

In terms of handling, I actually felt the 991S is slightly better. Some of that is due to the more tractable powerband but beyond that, the 991S feel slightly livelier and sharper on turn-in... to me at least. That is more of a compliment to the 991 than a knock on the 12C because obviously both handle extremely well.

In terms of fit, finish and cabin, I love how the 12C is so super focused on the driver. If anything, almost too much so -- the NAV screen, radio etc are not nearly at 991 levels. It's just a very sparse cabin. Visibility was decent but also not close to the 991. As many have noted, the 12C has a very advanced suspension that is suitable to daily driving.

So, overall, given the price drop in used 12C coupes (now that the spider is out) versus the cost of a new Turbo, I would seriously consider the 12C if I were going to spend that kind of money.
I do admit ignorance on maintenance costs... and I don't think anyone has the answer to that question. I have 16k miles on my 991S in it's 14 months. For perspective, I read an interview with the McLaren CEO where he bragged that one customer has 12k miles on his 12C.

I'm also very excited to see what the McLaren "911 Fighter" will be when released in a couple years.

Attached Images  

Last edited by KonaKai; 07-16-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:20 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
If there ever was a non Porsche for me it would be the 12C . Locally the dealership sells Porsche ,Ferrari,Lotus,Mclaren, Aston,Audi and Jaguar so the buffet list of cars is long and beautiful but if I wander out of Porsche its usually over to Mclaren . I do get a chance to chat with a variety of car owners when I go there. I know better than to drive one and i must say that I can not imagine using such a car as a daily driver .I must say that I saw a beautifully optioned spider (for a mere 325K.... yikes) in Volcano Red and dooled looking at it .

In terms of service (which your post mentioned as a somewhat unknown ) I do know that prior to the 12C Mclaren was a more limited vehicle so when shifting to a larger production car it initially came with some growing pains . From what I have been told the initial cars were not easy to work on . With a limited production car it didnt matter if a technician had to take apart the engine to service it but with more vehicles it meant more time . Most of the early snags are resolved and I have been told the newer cars are quite reliable .

A Turbo is faster in a straight line , it is also more understated, and has user friendly technology which translates into supercar with a splash of being pratical . Also Porsche is extremely organized at providing detailed service manuals for technician ease as well as parts . I realizse many here bought a 12 991 at the launch but over time the ease of servicing the model very fast and as the model line ages Porsche frequently revises and improves .

In my opinion .. renting a Mclaren for three days is a great driving fling but when it comes to a long term commitment (name on car title) it would be the Porsche.

Edit .. Last year I was getting my hair cut at a salon in South Beach . I could not help how beautiful this pair of cars looked parked next to each other .

Attached Images   

Last edited by yrralis1; 07-17-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:45 AM
ArashApollo will become famous soon enoughArashApollo will become famous soon enough
Man I thought the Mclaren would be leagues above the 911 in everyday! Just as I thought the Ferrari Italia would be (until reading those lackluster reviews on this forum - or was it Rennlist?). I still dream of having one. One day..

Old 07-17-2013, 07:08 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Nice review, there was one out at RA last weekend, the paint job (volcano orange I think) was probably the most beautiful I have ever seen. Just stunning, especially compared to the red 458. Thanks for the write-up, considering how high the 991TT prices are getting, I will likely inevitably cross shop w/ a slightly used 12C next year. Too bad there isn't a 991 GTS TT w/ RWD lol (or GT2 "light").

Old 07-17-2013, 07:27 AM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, great to hear about the handling of the 991 compared to a supercar.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:27 AM
advantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to beholdadvantyper is a splendid one to behold
Nice review tks for sharing

Old 07-17-2013, 09:58 AM
flyanddive will become famous soon enoughflyanddive will become famous soon enough
The Porsche's have way more development money into them, and it shows. They fall short in the looks and appeal department though. However, I can't wait to see what the 961 brings to the table.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:49 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Went to the dealership to pick up my Turbo today and decided to peek . The 12C is very beautiful !!

A few pics ..

Attached Images      
Old 07-18-2013, 04:18 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Not trying to be an *ss or offend people. But I wonder if I am the only one that thinks the Mclaren looked dated right from the first second it was put on the market ?
It's almost like they are a decade late, styling wise that is !

Old 07-18-2013, 04:32 AM
Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !Suzy991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bccars
Not trying to be an *ss or offend people. But I wonder if I am the only one that thinks the Mclaren looked dated right from the first second it was put on the market ?
It's almost like they are a decade late, styling wise that is !
You're not the only one... I think exactly the same. Seen the car in person a couple of times now in various colors and for some reason the car has just no appeal to me. Strangely I can't tell exactly why... It does look dated indeed.

Suzy991

Old 07-18-2013, 12:32 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Thx all for the comments so far. From the front, the McLaren looks a lot like the Tesla Roadster, so there is that. I happen to like the understated look and especially the integration of the rear spoiler/air brake. And the high exhausts.
Re maintenance, Larry makes some good points re progress the company has achieved. There is also the intuitive takeaway that a conpany that can design and build such an amazing vehicle should also be able to design the components to be durable.
Larry - re the price, it's a pittance compared to the Aventador cab - there is one at my local dealer with a $490k sticker
Finally, here's another way to phrase my review. The 991 is undoubtedly a true sports car, and a very special one at that (to me). Many call it the best all around choice, and I would agree. But after 400 miles in the 12C, when you step back into the 991, it feels simply like a very competent ordinary/mortal/normal car whereas driving the 12C is ceremonious. I suppose a 12C owner would eventually also become a bit anasthetized tho...

Old 07-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Breaker841 is on a distinguished road
I got the chance to drive the McLaren and the 911 C2S back to back on the track in Vegas, and I was completely underwhelmed with the McLaren. It's a beautiful car in many ways, and I love the interior with all of the Alacantara, however on track the car felt incredibly light and fast, but utterly disconnected as a driver. In my humble opinion, if you just want to drive really fast, and are ok with the car doing most of the work for you, then it is a brilliant car, however if you want to feel like you are making the magic happen and not the car's electronics, there wasn't a better feeling car in the entire place than the Porsche.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Breaker841
I got the chance to drive the McLaren and the 911 C2S back to back on the track in Vegas, and I was completely underwhelmed with the McLaren. It's a beautiful car in many ways, and I love the interior with all of the Alacantara, however on track the car felt incredibly light and fast, but utterly disconnected as a driver. In my humble opinion, if you just want to drive really fast, and are ok with the car doing most of the work for you, then it is a brilliant car, however if you want to feel like you are making the magic happen and not the car's electronics, there wasn't a better feeling car in the entire place than the Porsche.
Yes this is the conventional thinking on the 12C. And it's true that it's stocked with electronic gizmos. Subjectively, the 991 may feel more organic (especially with an NA engine), but rest assured you are kidding yourself if you believe that it actually is, at least a well optioned one: PDK, PDCC, PTV, SPASM, e-diff, electric steering etc., etc. From my own extensive track experience, I'd have to say any halfway competent driver can go very fast in the 991.

To me, they are both electronic showcases. The 12C is just a bit lower and more exotic, and a lot faster and louder.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Suzy991
You're not the only one... I think exactly the same. Seen the car in person a couple of times now in various colors and for some reason the car has just no appeal to me. Strangely I can't tell exactly why... It does look dated indeed.

Suzy991
I can't believe what I am reading . If a person took a nap for 40 years he might wake up and not recognize any cars .. EXCEPT a 911 !!!

Old 07-19-2013, 01:32 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I can't believe what I am reading . If a person took a nap for 40 years he might wake up and not recognize any cars .. EXCEPT a 911 !!!
True ... yet still the 991 looks modern and fresh.

Last edited by bccars; 07-19-2013 at 01:38 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MP4-12C: Extended Seat Time