Brown "dots" under clear coat at delivery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Southwest4S is on a distinguished road
New member here. Picked up Guards red C4S about a week ago. Count me as affected. Noticed white spots that appear under clear coat in several places. Almost looks like when water and gas mix. Cannot feel any irregularity to clear coat. Should I contact dealer I purchased from first or just go straight to Porsche NA?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1008.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	282705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1010.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	282706   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1009.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	282707   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1011.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	282708   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1013.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	282710  

Old 09-22-2013, 01:48 PM
CarreraS737 will become famous soon enoughCarreraS737 will become famous soon enough
Hi Southwest,

Welcome. Sorry to hear it. At first glance, this does not look like the brown spot plague that is the topic of this thread. It may be something new that is occurring under the clear coat, but it almost looks like it may be etching in the clear coat. I've see. Brand new cars sit outside at dealerships parked perfectly under the target zone for birds to plaster the paint. All while the car sits awaiting the per- delivery detail. My detailed had to buff out something similar due to pre-delivery bird droppings on my E92 M3, but it can possibly be corrected. The " brown spots" cannot be buffed out, and require a case to be opened with PCNA. I would contact them either way before going back to the dealership. It is a disappointment on an otherwise awesome car.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Southwest4S is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CarreraS737
Hi Southwest,

Welcome. Sorry to hear it. At first glance, this does not look like the brown spot plague that is the topic of this thread. It may be something new that is occurring under the clear coat, but it almost looks like it may be etching in the clear coat. I've see. Brand new cars sit outside at dealerships parked perfectly under the target zone for birds to plaster the paint. All while the car sits awaiting the per- delivery detail. My detailed had to buff out something similar due to pre-delivery bird droppings on my E92 M3, but it can possibly be corrected. The " brown spots" cannot be buffed out, and require a case to be opened with PCNA. I would contact them either way before going back to the dealership. It is a disappointment on an otherwise awesome car.
Thank you for the welcome and reply. I am glad to hear it might be something of a different nature. I will look into buffing them out. When this happened to your M3 was the affected area still smooth to the touch?

At any rate, this is an amazing car which I hope to enjoy for many years. I will try and get some pictures and details posted in the near future. Great resource this forum.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:28 PM
CarreraS737 will become famous soon enoughCarreraS737 will become famous soon enough
Yes it was smooth and only visible in certain light situations at various angles the way it reflected the etching, but very noticeable at the right light/angle. A skilled detailer can usually correct this type of paint issue and make it look like it was never there. However, if it is something deeper, beneath the clear coat like a factory defect, it's best to get PCNA involved early IMO.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:57 PM
BlackSpeed will become famous soon enoughBlackSpeed will become famous soon enough
As a new member and soon to be owner, this thread scares the hell out of me! I've been reading it since it first started. I'm a detailing buff (hence the black choice ). These white spots look like water spots and can likely be buffed out. You may have to have it wet sanded first, but have the detailer try the least aggressive approach first.

The brown spots under the clear coat, are just plain madness and I can't imagine what some of you owners are going through. As has been said before, these defects are unacceptable on any brand new car, especially one costing so much, arrggg.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:14 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Anybody come up with a satisfactory solution to the brown spot epidemic? At the start of this post, I had one brown spot. In cleaning to car today in bright sunlight I see an additional 2-3. For those who called PCNA was there any resolution? What were they willing or unwilling to do? Thanks.