Brown "dots" under clear coat at delivery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 02:56 PM
bboerit is just really nicebboerit is just really nicebboerit is just really nicebboerit is just really nicebboerit is just really nice
Brown "dots" under clear coat at delivery

I have very small what look like brown paint "droplets" in clusters (five or six dots in total, almost like a blood splatter) running along the righ-hand side of my brand new Guards Red C2S. The first "cluster" is next to the headlight on the bumper, the second "cluster" is on the roof behind the sunroof panel, and the third is a very faint single dot on the rear fender near the window. From front to back, they run pretty much in the same line. The damage wasn't caught at the dealer because I would not let them detail it. Instead, I took it directly from delivery to my detailer and it was while we were initially washing the car that we found the damage. To be clear, these are not obvious and you have be looking for them. It is clear to me that all the dots are under the clear coat so how it wasn't caught at the factory is just plain unacceptable, period.

The car is currently at the dealership and they, along with PCNA, have been extremely responsive and helpful in getting to a resolution. PCNA has inspected the car and now a Porsche certified body shop is looking at it. I should find out next steps on Friday.

To say I'm pissed is the understatement of the century (just check my BP). I take what little comfort I can from the fact that I caught it after delivery rather than before delivery because at least now I know about the damage and have some input into the resolution. If the dealer had caught it before I took delivery, they would have done whatever and I probably would have never known.

Stay tuned for updates.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Oh man that sucks. Just to clarify, you said they are under the clear coat on the paint? Hmm... Please keep us posted on this.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:36 PM
///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough
Same issue here with the mysterious brown dots under the clear coat plus small dent, but mine was in the engine lid and cover.

My dealer was nice enough to inform me but they wanted to take it to a body shop to fix it. I had a better solution....swap the parts with the one in their show room which was a brand new white C2S anyways.

Unfortunately in your case you can't swap parts, these things do happen and the only thing you can do is take it back to the dealer and have a body shop fix it. You are entitled to getting the car reordered though, that's if you are willing to wait.

Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2013, 03:57 PM
keith27 will become famous soon enough
Sorry to hear that! Of course you should be pissed and I can only empathize, but at the end of the day it is just a car so breath and relax a bit. I'm sure PCNA and your dealer will do the right thing, and if they don't make sure they do! Hope you get a resolution you are happy with and enjoy the car in good health.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:14 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Once again their infamous quality control procedure rears its head again.
I've seen eyelashes, mysterious circles on bumpers, and tiny air pockets embedded in the clear coat of 991's.

DO NOT accept anything other than a perfect car.
DO NOT accept the offer of a full respray at a Factory Certified Porsche Body shop blah blah blah (with a wad of cash "for your inconvenience").

Just so you know, the dealership is now out of the loop.
Their only concern at this point in time is to keep you in THIS particular car.
Losing money on this car is now a reality for Porsche, mitigating those losses is the new focus.
Taking the car back is their worst case scenario.

I truly feel for you, as it could have so easily been avoided.
Keep us posted..

Old 07-17-2013, 04:14 PM
bboerit is just really nicebboerit is just really nicebboerit is just really nicebboerit is just really nicebboerit is just really nice
Thx all for your kind words of support!

Armin, mine look almost identical (trying to post pic)... Did they ever determine what it was? I believe it came from something above the car while it was moving along the assembly, obviously somewhere after the paint was applied but before the clear coat was applied since they all line up if you draw an imaginary line from the front of the car to the back with the worse impact (most dots) on the front bumper, less on the roof, and only one on the rear fender.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:43 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Now that you mention it, I also have brown dot. Actually just one that is in the rear bumper. Note that I have had the car since October and I just noticed it. I thought it was from driving and picking up dirt and road grim. Tried to get it out, but like you said it is under the clear coat. I will have to inspect the car and see if I see more.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:12 AM
jyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond reputejyupitt1 has a reputation beyond repute
Guys,
I have these too! They are actually pretty significant, sizeable brown dots under the clear coat and on the rear bumper! Can't believe i didn't see this before, but after a car wash i thought it was some strong chemical/oil that ate into the clear coat from who knows what. My bodyshop was going to fix it for free, now I'm thinking i should complain to the dealer!

Old 07-18-2013, 06:41 AM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
Damn that sucks! I'm trying my best not to inspect my car right now. I have enough on my OCD plate after I found some micro scratches on the hood.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Can anyone take some good high res photos?

We've worked on quite a few 991s, and I've yet yo see these imperfections.

Anyone come up with a remedy? Porsche has always been very good about their paint, I'm surprised to see these issues and the # seems to be growing

Old 07-18-2013, 11:04 AM
barihunk will become famous soon enoughbarihunk will become famous soon enough
I believe it is encouragement from Porsche to option the car in brown.

But joking aside, I'm not going to go check the car for anything at this point. Ignorance is bliss after all.

Good luck to the OP, hopefully they make it right.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Tantura is on a distinguished road
Man! I was just getting ready to ask the group about this. I have 3 little specks on my ducktail. Bugs me like crazy since the car is racing yellow and they seem to stick out like a sore thumb...

Old 07-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
If anyone in SoCal has this issue, please stop by our shop. How certain are all you guys that it's under the clear? Have you tried claying and polishing that area?

Old 07-20-2013, 09:25 PM
Moe

Claying did not remove them... Detailer tried menzerma (spelling?) which didn't work either... That's when I said I'd take it back to the dealer... Body shop is now trying to wet sand them out...

Old 07-21-2013, 04:09 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I hope Porsche of North America is involved. We need to have this stopped ASAP. First it shouldn't happen, then it shouldn't get by QC, then the dealer should have raised a fuss and told you he was ordering another one and rejecting this one.

ChuckJ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brown "dots" under clear coat at delivery