How often to change brake fluid when doing DE's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 12:41 PM
j080808 is on a distinguished road
How often to change brake fluid when doing DE's?

Figure I would go right to the experts on this...

Stock C2 with factory fluid (2000 miles on the odo) and one DE (5-25 minute sessions) under my belt. First few runs didnt have very hard braking since I was learning. Last couple runs had hard braking and no fade, rock solid.

Should I change my fluid before the next DE?

How often are folks changing out their fluid.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:12 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
what group are you in?

you dont need it after 1 DE. I think the clubs require it every 6months however.
If youre doing 1 DE a month, Id say change the fluid after every 3 events.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
I too had stock brakes and fluid after 20k before doing my first DE. Everything was fine. I did have the fluid changed before my next DE that was four months later. I probably won't change it again until Feb which would be the fourth DE. So as Kosmo said, probably every third should be fine, unless you notice something in between.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:08 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
If you are going to drive the car often, and do a few DEs a year, here is the best solution. Go out and get yourself 2L of Castrol SRF, its the best stuff on the market. You will not need to bleed or flush the system for a good year, but do change it every spring. SRF is not cheap, but it works incredibly well.

I do about 8-10 DEs normally a year(not this year though) and have been following this routine for years, never had an issue.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:59 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
The magic number is brake fluid should never get to have a second birthday in the reservoir as it assimilates moisture from the air.

Probably changing annually is a good compromise. If you do keep some to top up remember that the 2 year rule includes if the fluid is sitting in a can/container that has been opened at any time. That's when the clock starts on the fluid.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:51 PM
j080808 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kosmo69
what group are you in?

you dont need it after 1 DE. I think the clubs require it every 6months however.
If youre doing 1 DE a month, Id say change the fluid after every 3 events.
Beginner group, just learning the ropes.

The reason I mention fluid swap is twofold-my instructor (GT3 driver) asked if I had fresh fluid, and another driver in a 2011 C4S (first track day with that car, but experienced driver nonetheless ) had no brakes late in the day. I just don't want to end up "in the weeds" or a guardrail over a simple flush.

Thanks for everyone's insight, my second DE at Autobahn in August will be a blast.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:24 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
Your PCA chapter will have rules. Mine is every 6 months.