DIY Sharkwerks Exhaust installation - 991 C2S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 12:08 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
DIY Sharkwerks Exhaust installation - 991 C2S

Installed the Sharkwerks 991 exhaust in my driveway.

I have a C2S, without PSE, but the installation should be the same no matter which exhaust you have (C2 / C2S / PSE)

The Sharkwerks exhaust simply bypasses the side mufflers, leaving the center muffler. This means that the valves in the C2S and PSE still function, but you eliminate the side mufflers. The side mufflers are only really used when the valves are closed (although with less restriction, some exhaust may still come out after you replace them). This means that the car is louder all the time, but not overly so.

Installation is really easy - I found that no bumper removal is required. You do need to jack the car up from the rear and remove the wheel... I tried pulling the mufflers straight down and there is not enough room - you could likely pull really hard and get it out, but I wasn't willing to. There are some scratches on my factory mufflers from trying this.

Remember, this is just how I did it, your mileage may vary! Not responsible for any issues or injuries associated therewith, etc.

Installation steps:

1. Jack up and support the rear of the car properly, jack stands, etc. (I found it really difficult to raise the rear of the car, since there isn't a jack point, so I just jacked up the side and put stands under it... and that was a pain so I bought a set of these: http://liftbars.com/ will report back when I get them). A lift would make this much easier.

2. Remove the rear wheel

3. Go to the rear of the car. Remove the exhaust tips - Reverse Torx socket and they pull straight back.

4. Go back to the wheel well. Look to the right and you'll see the stock muffler. There is 1 clamp and a few nuts holding it on. (Sorry, this is actually a picture of the Sharkwerks piece already installed, but you get the idea.)

5. The front mount for the muffler has 2 13mm OD nuts in front of you. Loosen those, but do not remove yet.

6. Go under the car (remember what I said about proper support?) and loosen the 2 of the 3 nuts holding the center muffler to the cats/headers. The top 2 nuts which you want to remove also hold the bracket that holds the side muffler.

It looks like this: (bracket in the center, although this is the Sharkwerks part - more on this step later)

7. Now, remove the front nuts, and pull the muffler out. You'll pull it back and rotate towards the ground. It's tricky to get out, but once you do it once, it's pretty easy.

Basically, rotate it 90 degrees to get it out. This is the muffler resting on the front edge, rotated 90 degrees from it's normal mounting position.

8. This is the hardest part of the install. Pull the bolts out and remove the mounts from the muffler, and slide the brackets off. Take the steel wool looking spring washers out and put them into the Sharkwerks muffler. This is not easy as they are just a LITTLE bit too small - go slowly, don't squish them. There is a locating sleeve that goes between the spring mounts that you will need to put into the Sharkwerks piece too, which is a pain to get in. (You can see it in the background of this pic)

Alex told me that there is no metric pipe in stainless in that size, hence the problems. Most aftermarket exhausts have the same issue. I should have taken more pictures, but I was too frustrated.

The best way I found to get these back on was to push the spring washers into place and them push the locating sleeve between them, holding the far one in place. This proves to be difficult. Good luck.

9. Once you have the spring washers and the locating sleeve between them (and trust me, you'll swear and stuff during this... you'll want thick gloves for this, too) transfer the brackets from the factory mufflers to the Sharkwerks pieces, paying attention to their orientation. This is the proper orientation and the Sharkwerks piece is ready to go back into the car. Slide the clamp from the center muffler to side muffler connection onto the Sharkwerks piece. (notice the double clamp, slid up to the bend to hold it in place)

10. The sharkwerk piece is much less bulky, so goes in through the wheel well (or from underneath) very easily. I put the 2 nuts onto the front bracket first, loose, and then lined up the bracket that goes onto the Center Muffler to Header flange. Took a bit of fussing, but it went on - just make sure to get both studs into the bracket at the same time. You should end up with the rear of the car looking like this:

11. Put the wheel back on and put the car down. Repeat on the other side.

12. Put the tips back on. DONE!

Cool laser cut logo, unfortunately invisible unless you get under the car.

Overall, I liked this exhaust. Definitely a step up in loudness throughout the rev range. I tried it with my X pipe at first (which is why the center muffler is out in the pictures) but it was waaaay too loud. Then, I swapped to the stock center section and it's nice. Definitely deep and aggressive sounding without being over the top. About a 20-30% increase in sound throughout the rev range. I ended up keeping the x pipe and putting in the stock side mufflers, so I've sold the Sharkwerks exhaust. (the X pipe has a better dual personality, imho... but it is *REALLY* loud when the valves are open)

Most people are probably going to appreciate the Sharkwerks piece more. PM me if you're interested - I'll update this thread if it sells.

Attached Images         

Last edited by kitw; 08-10-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you for the detailed steps. I may never do this myself, but I do appreciate the work you went through to create this post!!

Old 08-08-2013, 06:00 PM
LPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to all
How did the exhaust sound with the stock centre muffler and the Sharkwerks side muffler delete?

Did you have a chance to record a sound bite with this setup ?

Old 08-08-2013, 06:08 PM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
Originally Posted by Chupacabra
Thank you for the detailed steps. I may never do this myself, but I do appreciate the work you went through to create this post!!
I will buy them if you sell them.. But I do need to make sure they fit non-s. I think there was an update on their website that their bypass is for S only!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:10 PM
tachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to all
can you post sound? can't wait to hear. awesome post by the way. thanks

Old 08-08-2013, 10:10 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by trovan
I will buy them if you sell them.. But I do need to make sure they fit non-s. I think there was an update on their website that their bypass is for S only!
No, it fits the non-S just fine... but you need S tips, which are not cheap!

Old 08-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by tachyon
can you post sound? can't wait to hear. awesome post by the way. thanks

Sorry, my camera failed and I already swapped it out. It's pretty much like stock but about 20% louder across the board. Sounds pretty nice.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:29 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Way to go Kit thanks in spades! What a local star

I'll have some more interesting updates for you guys shortly. I have a bunch of videos I need to edit and stuff but for now this is what we have:

For more info:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=398

Old 08-09-2013, 12:59 PM
studlee is on a distinguished road
will this work with non s tips?

Old 08-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by studlee
No, you need S tips.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:55 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by studlee
You'd need S-tips or a take-off S center muffler.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:28 PM
LPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to all
Originally Posted by sharkster
Way to go Kit thanks in spades! What a local star

I'll have some more interesting updates for you guys shortly. I have a bunch of videos I need to edit and stuff but for now this is what we have:
SharkWerks Porsche 991 Exhaust System - YouTube

For more info:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=398

Hi Sharkster. Does the Carrera S in the above video have standard centre CS2 muffler and the Sharkwerks side muffler or a PSE centre and the Sharkwerks side muffler?

Is the sound with the Sharkwerks side exhaust and stock centre significantly more aggressive than PSE?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-09-2013, 05:59 PM
j080808 is on a distinguished road
What do the valves on the S, non PSE do?

Old 08-09-2013, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by j080808
What do the valves on the S, non PSE do?
They do the same sort of thing/idea but are in different locations and the center muffler is different too.
Originally Posted by LPB987S
Hi Sharkster. Does the Carrera S in the above video have standard centre CS2 muffler and the Sharkwerks side muffler or a PSE centre and the Sharkwerks side muffler?

Is the sound with the Sharkwerks side exhaust and stock centre significantly more aggressive than PSE?

Thanks in advance!
It has the PSE and our sides. I'd say yes it's more aggressive

Old 08-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Team Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the roughTeam Plutonium is a jewel in the rough
This is with the new Sharkwerks side exhaust and the FVD x-pipe. This was recorded with me keeping it below 4.5K rpm. Go beyond 6K and you have a cup car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY Sharkwerks Exhaust installation - 991 C2S