991 newbie questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 09:41 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
991 newbie questions...

Hi all,

First off, thank you all in advance for answering my questions. I hope they aren't too simple or obvious.

Has there been any changes to the 991 base model since it first came out in 2012 (besides the $2,200.00 increase)?

Is Navigation standard on all models? Has it been from the beginning? Is Nav Traffic standard or do you need Sirius XM to make it work?

Is Bluetooth Audio streaming music available? Since the beginning? Or? Do you need any upgrades (Bose-Burmester,whatever) to have it? Will aha radio with internet work on the 2012 PCM? Or, was that a later update on the PCM?

Any issues with the vehicle from the start? Are there reasons to stay away from a 2012 model 991?

I am considering a very lightly used base 991 from 2012 or ordering a 2014 model.

Feel free to voice your opinions, thoughts and experiences...Love to hear all sides.

Again, thank you all in advance!

Steve

Old 10-02-2013, 09:51 PM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Welcome Steve. I'm in the LA area like you...actually, OC

>>>Has there been any changes to the 991 base model since it first came out in 2012 (besides the $2,200.00 increase)?

Very minor tweaks and availability of options (eg. full LEDs for model year 2014)

>>>Is Navigation standard on all models? Has it been from the beginning?

Yes and Yes.

>>> Is Nav Traffic standard or do you need Sirius XM to make it work?

Yes. You need the Sirus XM service to make it work. And you'll need it for the 10 freeway in LA :-)

>>>Any issues with the vehicle from the start? Are there reasons to stay away from a 2012 model 991?

Personally, I stay away from the first year of a new redesign. But that is just me. If I was leasing or if it was a short term vehicle (couple of years), heck. I'd probably get it if that was the goal.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:03 AM
lrattner has a spectacular aura aboutlrattner has a spectacular aura about
Hi Steve,

Just a clarification: The traffic on XM radio is part of your subscription but may cost a little additional. I had it with my first three months of ownership (when it was included in the sale). When I renewed for a year with XM, I now find that I do not get raffic or weather anymore. Maybe it's an oversight and I will call them to find out. Just a heads up.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Nuke986 has a spectacular aura aboutNuke986 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by lrattner
Hi Steve,

Just a clarification: The traffic on XM radio is part of your subscription but may cost a little additional. I had it with my first three months of ownership (when it was included in the sale). When I renewed for a year with XM, I now find that I do not get traffic or weather anymore. Maybe it's an oversight and I will call them to find out. Just a heads up.

I've had XM since 2004 and traffic and weather are definitely an extra charge. I personally don't use either.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:33 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nuke986
I've had XM since 2004 and traffic and weather are definitely an extra charge. I personally don't use either.
Traffic info is actually completely subpar if you compare to what you get from BMW for instance. I do not know if it is the case in other regions, but around Atlanta, XM traffic will make you leave the highway to get into even more trouble because traffic info is almost limited to major interstates.
I did not renew my XM subscription and use Google maps or Waze for traffic (and cop alerts!). Sirius XM radio quality is much inferior to HD FM... or Pandora, iTunes radio, etc. Plus the Sirius XM customer service is one of the worst. Probably more feedback than what you needed

Old 10-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Airportrat has a spectacular aura aboutAirportrat has a spectacular aura about
How many miles does the 991 your considering been enjoying?

I have an early 2013 base 991 since new. I can tell you at 8500 miles it still drives as new, and all the interior and exterior components have worn well. You should have no fear in a 2012 model.

I too am in LA. Always looking for people to drive with.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:42 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
24,450 miles. It drives better than when new. The engine is more powerful and responsive. The shifts are for want of a better word, snappier. The pse sounds louder and deeper. I change the oil and filter every 5000 miles Initial change was at 2000 miles There are 18000 miles on the PZeros and about 70% left. Brakes have 70% left too
I use winter tires and wheels. Interior is perfect (full leather) and still smells like a shoe store. Exterior is perfect. No dings dents or problems. A few small windshield chips however. This is the car I always wanted (we are talking 50 years of looking and longing) and it is a pleasure to drive, wash and just look at every day. As you can see from the mileage I drive it everywhere.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:32 PM
911driver has a spectacular aura about911driver has a spectacular aura about911driver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Airportrat

I have an early 2013 base 991 since new. I can tell you at 8500 miles it still drives as new, and all the interior and exterior components have worn well. You should have no fear in a 2012 model.

Just waiting to receive my new '07 TT from out of state to arrive. Maybe we get together for a Porsche sunday sometime soon

Old 10-04-2013, 08:01 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Airportrat

You got 8500 miles on it already? That's awesome.

Time to come down and autox

Old 10-04-2013, 08:06 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SM_ATL
I did not renew my XM subscription and use Google maps or Waze for traffic (and cop alerts!). Sirius XM radio quality is much inferior to HD FM... or Pandora, iTunes radio, etc. Plus the Sirius XM customer service is one of the worst. Probably more feedback than what you needed
+1

Sirius XM is really a pile of crud! Wouldn't bother with it at all. HD radio is the way to go.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:28 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
It's more a matter of the content available. If you like commercial free music/talk and don't want to listen to continuous inane hyped-Toyota Truck Commercials or Geico ads and just want to listen to a specific music genre Sirius/XM is good.. Is the quality as good as HD? no....

If you live or drive out into the sticks..or in the hills where there is poor FM reception, Sirius/XM is a nice thing to have..

Personally I don't appreciate having to pay the subscription fee.. And I'm not sure why the nav systems seem to always be tied to XM traffic.. as I've got a $200 garmin travel GPS that operates off of FM traffic for free and works at home in the So Cal as well as in Europe (at least in Germany)..

If I really want to listen to something with exactly what I want to listen to and of the quality I want I'll just use my iPOD..

Just depends on what you want.. Have a friend who likes Howard stern.. That was enough for him, lol..

Originally Posted by Haku
+1

Sirius XM is really a pile of crud! Wouldn't bother with it at all. HD radio is the way to go.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:30 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Good luck,

I started with ordering because it was impossible to find a lightly optioned (S or non S). Started with a Base stripped down..

By the time I ordered I ended up convincing myself I needed a loaded S..

So stay away from the on line configurator as it cost me about $30K...lol

Originally Posted by socalsteve
Hi all,

First off, thank you all in advance for answering my questions. I hope they aren't too simple or obvious.

Has there been any changes to the 991 base model since it first came out in 2012 (besides the $2,200.00 increase)?

Is Navigation standard on all models? Has it been from the beginning? Is Nav Traffic standard or do you need Sirius XM to make it work?

Is Bluetooth Audio streaming music available? Since the beginning? Or? Do you need any upgrades (Bose-Burmester,whatever) to have it? Will aha radio with internet work on the 2012 PCM? Or, was that a later update on the PCM?

Any issues with the vehicle from the start? Are there reasons to stay away from a 2012 model 991?

I am considering a very lightly used base 991 from 2012 or ordering a 2014 model.

Feel free to voice your opinions, thoughts and experiences...Love to hear all sides.

Again, thank you all in advance!

Steve

Old 10-04-2013, 02:54 PM
FASTRNU will become famous soon enoughFASTRNU will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by scatkins
Good luck,

I started with ordering because it was impossible to find a lightly optioned (S or non S). Started with a Base stripped down..

By the time I ordered I ended up convincing myself I needed a loaded S..

So stay away from the on line configurator as it cost me about $30K...lol
Yup, it is the options that kill you. I have a Turbo on order, and configured the total was up to about $21,000 in options at $171K. Thought well, that is close to a Turbo S, but once configured it was at $193K with about $11K in options. I had to just say $XXXK is my limit and keep the options within that range.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:45 PM
My suggestion (being cheeky) is to pick a base C, figure out your external and interior color and then order the damn thing quickly. Don't drive an S, and don't read the forums until your order is locked..

Originally Posted by FASTRNU
Yup, it is the options that kill you. I have a Turbo on order, and configured the total was up to about $21,000 in options at $171K. Thought well, that is close to a Turbo S, but once configured it was at $193K with about $11K in options. I had to just say $XXXK is my limit and keep the options within that range.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:42 PM
fantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura aboutfantom has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by scatkins
My suggestion (being cheeky) is to pick a base C, figure out your external and interior color and then order the damn thing quickly. Don't drive an S, and don't read the forums until your order is locked..
All my music comes from the PSE. Don't need to spend five grand on a car radio , and good advise; lock in your order and come back when yor 991 arrives

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 newbie questions...