Help - Soda spilled from Cupholder onto the Heated/cool seat buttons - need advice !!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 11:47 AM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
Help - Soda spilled from Cupholder onto the Heated/cool seat buttons - need advice !!

I have a 2012 991S and unfortunately I was putting a soda in the cup holder closest to the center console and the plastic lid popped off the cup and soda spilled by the buttons on the passengers side Seat heater/cooler and a couple of the climate control buttons.

As soon as it happened I cleaned it with napkins and when I finally got home 15 minutes later I used an interior cleaner and then afterwards used a powerful air compressor to shoot air into all of the buttons.

I got everything dry, now 2 days late a few of the buttons are sticking ...

I had read on a message board that using very hot water would help but I really don't know if this could be tolerated by the electronics ... kind of strange because they did survive the spill.

Does anyone know what I can do to get rid of the stickiness.

Thank you for any help and advice you can offer.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:13 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Light steam clean?

Old 03-18-2014, 12:31 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
I have the same issue.... The passenger side sticks due to spillage...

Old 03-18-2014, 01:08 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't had this happen on the center console yet (banned soft drinks from my car)

But what I've done in the past in this situation is get a fairly rigid piece of paper or piece of mylar (think of like a mylar file folder) , the thickest that will still easily fit in the gap.. that I can cut into a convenient shape that I can slide in between the switch and it's bezel. Try to work it around to try to loosen up any sticky material, dirt etc.

Then I just slightly dampen the paper or Mylar (paper works better in this regard) and then work it around in the gap again to try to wipe away or dissolve anything sticky.

Now this presumes the sticking is occurring between the plastics of the switch..

I definitely wouldn't go pouring anything down in there or steaming it... If you still can't unstuck it, then consider pulling the whole assembly it out of the console and then getting at the sticky parts that way.. There are some videos out there that show how to get it out..

Old 03-18-2014, 08:30 PM
fastmd is on a distinguished road
denatured alcohol could probably be used. I have used it before with no issues.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:56 PM
Jim M. will become famous soon enoughJim M. will become famous soon enough
Get some "Contact Cleaner" from an auto parts store or Radio Shack and spray the switches. The contact cleaner evaporates very quickly, will not harm the plastic or electronic components and will wash away the gunk.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:36 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
It's kinda a poor design to be honest, because through normal use of the the cupholders over time something will inevitably spill. And when it does it's going to drip right into those buttons. No matter how careful you are, it would be odd to think you won't eventually spill something in those buttons if you properly use the cupholders.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:08 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hawc
It's kinda a poor design to be honest, because through normal use of the the cupholders over time something will inevitably spill. And when it does it's going to drip right into those buttons. No matter how careful you are, it would be odd to think you won't eventually spill something in those buttons if you properly use the cupholders.
Yup, I was told from day one by my sales guy not to use the driver side cupholder for this very reason. Even if you are careful, condensation could drip onto the buttons.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:18 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
You should all know the official explanation of the 911 cup holders:
An ingenious stealthy fold-away design which took years and millions of dollars to develop and perfect. They are a thing of beauty....but only to be looked at and admired and never to be used!

OP, sorry about your issue. Rubbing alcohol may be the safest.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:45 AM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
I'm sure you have seen these. They are awesome... http://ultimatecupholders.com

Old 03-19-2014, 07:33 AM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Vantaredoc
I'm sure you have seen these. They are awesome... http://ultimatecupholders.com
Like others, I have banned drinks. I think that the German's feel you should not be drinking while driving. They are probably correct. But this is a bad way to make the point.

Thanks for the info. I wrote to the company to see if they have one for the 991. I will let you all know when I get a reply.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:42 AM
sdemw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AG991
Like others, I have banned drinks. I think that the German's feel you should not be drinking while driving. They are probably correct. But this is a bad way to make the point.

Thanks for the info. I wrote to the company to see if they have one for the 991. I will let you all know when I get a reply.
Had one of these in a Boxster and it worked very well.....

Old 03-19-2014, 08:54 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Do not use water or steam! That will ruin the switches. Get a can of electrical cleaner and spray liberally. It will help some, but its very hard to get fully back to normal without replacing the buttons. Poor cupholder design for sure.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:24 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

I only drink coffee in my car (and only very, very good coffee, please understand ) and I never, ever, let go of the cup. Ever, ever.

ever.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	not-now-not-ever-final-half-size1.jpg
Views:	6115
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	349051  
Old 03-20-2014, 05:52 AM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Someone posted a site for a cupholder that fits in the foot well and anchors under the trim of the shift console. The website did not indicate a version for the 991 so I contacted the manufacturer. He thinks the device for the 996/997 will work but I have not had a chance to measure. Here is his reply:

"Hi Michael:
I'm not absolutely sure about the 991. I've had some try the versions that I have for the 996/997 and they seemed to think that they were fine but I've not yet had a chance to take a look at one myself and I don't know whether there may be some variances among cars/models/trim levels which might affect that.

The primary thing to check is the height at the side of the console. If you measure from the floor straight up to the lower edge of the trim where the arm of the holder slips under, it should be no more than about 6.75” high. There are a few other considerations, e.g., the side should be relatively vertical, nothing in the way, etc., but in the Porsche generally those aren’t an issue. I think that yours will be under 6" or lower. Assuming so, then the version for the 996/997 should be OK.

Thanks, appreciate your interest. Please let me know if you have any questions and I’ll be happy to help.
Mike"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help - Soda spilled from Cupholder onto the Heated/cool seat buttons - need advice !!